5th wheel/trailer living

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So, transferred from Hawaii back to mainland. Having more difficultly finding a place to live part time than I thought.

Prices are higher than I anticipated so instead of giving money someone else I’m thinking about picking up a 5th wheel or park model trailer. This should not be moving often. I’m a total noob with trailers, I’ve never owned one, my families never owned one.

Looking to buy used so losses are minimal when it’s time to move on. What should I look for? Brands to avoid? Arctic/winter/whatever that manufacturer calls it I assume is a must for 4 season use? What accessories are needed to hook up at a park?

Was looking at this one https://springfield.craigslist.org/rvd/d/hot-springs-national-park-2017-palomino/7210862205.html

Turns out it sold a few days ago, dealer said he’s trying to get ahold of another one. Most of the guys at the base commute in as will I so some extra bunks I could rent as a crash pad are a plus.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don't have all the answers, but I am guessing a Park model with be a difficult thing to sell again. Not a huge market for them, imo.

Also, from following @sixstringsteve, it didn't seem that living in a trailer was any cheaper than a small apartment. Nightly rental adds up for a trailer.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I don't have all the answers, but I am guessing a Park model with be a difficult thing to sell again. Not a huge market for them, imo.
Interesting, maybe depends on the area? My pal who’s working in Florida turns out had the same idea. Had no idea until he sent me a pic of his new purchase. He said he’s also been looking at park models but they’ve been selling soon as they hit the lot so he hasn’t been able to get one.

I can’t see much of a use for one out here but might be more popular in snowbird areas? 🤷‍♂️

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The park models are a hot item in Snowbird communities. I don't know what they're like to pull though.

I've often said I could live in my 5th wheel full time, but a lot of the reasons are because I'm only home on the weekends. One other big reason is that I have property to park it on, so daily costs would be pretty low.

Climate is gonna determine a lot in terms of livibility. Winter at my property would be rough in any RV, they just aren't well insulated like a house is.

I do really love my 5th wheel though, and I would recommend looking at anything in the Grand Design lineup, but used is the way to go.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The park models are a hot item in Snowbird communities. I don't know what they're like to pull though.

I've often said I could live in my 5th wheel full time, but a lot of the reasons are because I'm only home on the weekends. One other big reason is that I have property to park it on, so daily costs would be pretty low.

Climate is gonna determine a lot in terms of livibility. Winter at my property would be rough in any RV, they just aren't well insulated like a house is.

I do really love my 5th wheel though, and I would recommend looking at anything in the Grand Design lineup, but used is the way to go.

Trailer will be parked in Hot Springs Arkansas for now. Hoping I’ll be there until I can move to the regionals. Weather is pretty moderate, gets cold but not super cold. I’ll be living in it about half the month.

Trying to stay sub 30k on purchase

Another one I’m looking at.

https://littlerock.craigslist.org/rvd/d/hot-springs-village-2017-forest-river/7217814679.html

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Also, from following @sixstringsteve, it didn't seem that living in a trailer was any cheaper than a small apartment. Nightly rental adds up for a trailer.

Looks like it’s about $500 a month to park it at all the local parks. Looking at 600-1000 for an apartment +utilities and furniture. And from what I’ve seen so far, a trailer will be much nicer 😂. The few that seemed reasonably priced turned out to be scams, which is what lead me to this

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would LOVE a Solitude. You are gonna want a dually to pull that though.

Solitude is their top of the line 5th wheel models. For reference, mine is a Reflection 337 RLS. It's 38' long unit.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I would LOVE a Solitude. You are gonna want a dually to pull that though.

Solitude is their top of the line 5th wheel models. For reference, mine is a Reflection 337 RLS. It's 38' long unit.

Wait so my 99 250 with a 5.4 won’t cut it? 🤣

Plan right now is to have it delivered where it will remain until I leave. New truck in addition really isn’t in the budget. If I need to move it, it will be in the hands of a transport company

May end up selling the car and the 250 though to buy one. Maybe see if @Unimog will sell the beater dodge back 😂

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wait so my 99 250 with a 5.4 won’t cut it? 🤣

Plan right now is to have it delivered where it will remain until I leave. New truck in addition really isn’t in the budget. If I need to move it, it will be in the hands of a transport company

May end up selling the car and the 250 though to buy one. Maybe see if @Unimog will sell the beater dodge back 😂
Just buy his Freightliner.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
What did you end up getting?

We bought a 5th wheel to park up at our property a month or so ago. Pretty cool.

Haven’t decided yet. Currently kicking it in an Airbnb getting the lay of the land trying to decide.

I went and looked at a few while I was in town and really like this one

Didn’t have a lot of time when I was there this week, I’ll be there a little longer when I go back Thursday so going to check out some of the parks and some more trailers

Jeremy’s Solitude had sold before I arrived. It was out of the budget anyway