6.0 powerstroke rebuild.

Coco

Interstate sucks, but glad the truck is running good! My dad's old '07 6.0 was bulletproofed/deleted and mildly tuned, but man that thing was a beast. It pulled my old SAS'd 4runner to Moab doing 90 the whole way, and did amazing. Sad that some lady cut him off on the freeway and totaled it. His 2nd one wasn't near the truck the first one was, and now that UT county is back to requiring emissions, it had to have all the emissions components. He had it built the best he could be a shop in SLC (can't remember the name) but it was never the same truck as his first. That truck kept killing an injector, but the shop that did the work kept warrantying it. I think my dad finally decided to get a brand new truck for the first time ever and sold it.

I have debated the 6.0, since his first one was so amazing, but then his second wasn't. Then like you said here several times, finding good shops to work on it is also an issue. I would agree if I ever got one I would send it back east.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
339151418_600063845484435_2049572489508085731_n.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Two towing trips down and no issues. It has been 50k miles since I changed the trans fluid so I decided to do that this week. I am swapping the pan and filter for the latest version they used in the 6.4 PSD which is a larger in pan filter and a little deeper pan.
Old vs new.
20230417_182940.jpg
Took the truck for a spin to warm the fluid up. Set the Edge CTS monitor to read trans temp, well, attempted to. The damned touch screen died. Sometimes you are the hammer and mostly you are just getting nailed from behind! So I changed the pan and filter, 10 qrts of new ATF and now I'm on the hunt for another Edge monitor. This one is 10 years old so I guess I got my money's worth.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I pulled a known load on a known route this weekend. The new turbo is boss. Pulled the Elberta slant from redwood road better than this truck ever had. Zero egt worries now. I can hammer down and it downshifts and never got hotter than 1200. This truck used to see 1300 on that hill often and I'd have to back out of it. Oddly enough the cts monitor started working again. Still dead to touch so it's stuck on the pids I have pulled up, but EGT, coolant and oil temp are up so I'm good for a while longer.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Put your purse down Nancy, it's just an update.
I haven't driven this truck much over the winter but I took it out last week hauling dirt bikes. I have to say, it's a damn fine ride for an 18 year old work truck. I have had some thoughts about retiring it but I think it serves it's purpose really well and it's been paid for (for the second time) for years.
I have changed the coolant filter twice since the rebuild and found a lot of casting debris both times. The coolant vs oil temp deltas started to climb to around 10 degrees empty and 20ish pulling. I looked at replacing the oil cooler but it appears Ford is now selling $500 trash of unknown manufacturing origin. So I picked up this kit of amazon to backflush the good cooler I have. We'll see how it works. Seems to be a popular option.

While I'm draining coolant I'm going to replace the original radiator pre-emptively and the upper/lower radiator hoses. I'm going with a bulletproof diesel radiator that is the same as the OEM but with aluminum tanks. It's only slightly more expensive than the OEM. My hope is the aluminum tanks will gain some cooling efficiency. The billet aluminum options are all way more money and have very mixed results. This seems like the closest to OEM with some marginal improvements. Also includes new fittings for the trans cooler which is a bonus.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I've seen many V10 with the manual up to 2010. None I've wanted to buy yet but I think the manual runs until 2010. No manuals in the 2011-current Stuper Duty trucks.
Where/how are you finding them? I've been on the lookout for one that might be more suited for my business and can't find V10s unless theyre a clapped out rust bucket.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Where/how are you finding them? I've been on the lookout for one that might be more suited for my business and can't find V10s unless theyre a clapped out rust bucket.

They are hard to find to be honest. I've only seen them on Facebook 3V V10 groups. Most of the manual trans trucks are USED. Nothing wrong with a 5R110 in my opinion. Nothing wrong with a 6.2 auto 2011-2016 either

Great thread. I am in the process of a short block rebuild of a 2004 6.0. Had an injector go and wash a cylinder a few months ago. Other than that, the truck ran great. Thinking it will be done by April 5th.

This thread has helped.

Swapping out the HPOP and impeller while we're in there. Most everything else was already "bulletproofed" years ago.