6.0 powerstroke rebuild.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I wish you much luck. Hopefully it'll work well after the rebuild

Ready to go to the shop for rebuild. I'm having Twisted Piston in West Valley perform the rebuild. They are the only slc area shop that answered my questions and were on the same page as me with how to put it back together.
aa69ad5ca765a6c6ca5d95653e642821.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
A little update. The short block rebuild is taking forever. So in the mean time I have been cleaning everything and putting what I can together.

I opted to get a new (Ford) oil cooler while it was apart even though I just did one last year and my deltas weren't bad. It's $200 insurance. So I disassembled the old unit and installed the new cooler.
20171031_114528.jpg20171031_121438.jpg

I'm also doing the blue spring upgrade. This is essentially the bypass spring in the fuel filter housing. The blue spring is stiffer than the original 6.0 spring and should bring fuel pressure up into the 60psi range.
20171018_173526.jpg

I am upgrading the exhaust to a 4" turbo back with a muffler. Most likely going with a Flow Pro. I had one exhaust manifold bolt broken prior to this and was leaking at the block. Ford saved $5 and didn't put manifold gaskets on the 6.0 originally but they now offer them. I found a cool method of cleaning gasket surfaces and tried it on my manifold. I used a knife sharpening stone, the large 2 grit wet stone type. It worked great and doesn't remove any of the base material.
20171018_184324.jpg

I have bought all my OEM parts from Autonation White Bear Lake in MN. They have been the cheapest by a mile. My neighbor is a mechanic at a local Ford Dealership and Autonation is cheaper than his cost on most parts. Also, injectorsdirect.com has great deals on OEM diesel injectors.
I should have the short block back this week and can start bolting parts back on.

Tonkaman

It feels nice to crank out some progress even if your waiting for parts.

I’m curious about using the wet stone for gasket removal. Just use the stone and slide back and forth??

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It feels nice to crank out some progress even if your waiting for parts.

I’m curious about using the wet stone for gasket removal. Just use the stone and slide back and forth??
Yep. I used a lot of 3in1 oil but I think wd-40 would work too. Doesn't take much pressure on the stone. Either. Here is the stone I used.

Winco 12-Inch Fine/Grain Knife Sharpening Stone, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016J5OFU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Got my short block back this week. Since it took so long he had the rotating assembly balanced and didn't charge me for it.
The front and rear main seals on these motors requires a specific tool. When I asked about having them installed Ty at Twisted Piston just handed me the $700 worth of tools and told me to use them and bring them back. I highly recommend these guys for any 6.0 work. They are a little rough looking and their shop isn't the cleanest but they are stand up honest guys.

I also picked up a Flow Pro 4" turbo back exhaust from Twisted. It's a great exhaust, came with all band clamps which are far better than compression clamps.

So far I have front and rear engine covers, oil cooler, hpop and both heads populated and installed. I am short one washer for my arp head studs so I'm stalled at this point. I'm contemplating using a grade 8 washer and putting it on the front corner of the block where I could replace it if I have any issues.

Some pictures of the progress.
94bb3b138175c06cdbd526a2e949672f.jpg

Shiney new pistons

fe0d90f864898ce1269ddc9591de4f70.jpg

5f8e1c90403dd56b5ae74868718a22e4.jpg

Starting to populate the heads

66edb43a9b0b863e25ee75218b236463.jpg

Factory Ford blue head gaskets

e59c6a4a943aba8851ea9bcbc3609101.jpg

There she sits, teetering on my cheap HF engine stand. lol.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The 6.0 injector plugs suck ass. Be super careful when you go to plug them back in. I screwed one pretty bad when I had some issues plugging it in. Those plug pins are a stupid piss poor design if you ask me. I've never seen anything that stupid before on a vehicle.

Nice progress on that block. Are you going to paint it up all perty like? Maybe some ford blue. I used ford blue on my 6.2 chevy diesel engine. I thought it was funny to annoy purists.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The 6.0 injector plugs suck ass. Be super careful when you go to plug them back in. I screwed one pretty bad when I had some issues plugging it in. Those plug pins are a stupid piss poor design if you ask me. I've never seen anything that stupid before on a vehicle.

Nice progress on that block. Are you going to paint it up all perty like? Maybe some ford blue. I used ford blue on my 6.2 chevy diesel engine. I thought it was funny to annoy purists.
I already sprayed the rusty spots black to match the factory paint that was still there. I'll be careful with the injectors. Thanks for the heads up.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
A little more progress.

Got the rest of the stuff bolted to the motor, ready to go in.

20171126_172648.jpg

On it's way home

20171127_133619.jpg

And in.
IMG_20171127_192343_660.jpg

Got most of the wiring done yesterday and most of the front end on and the top buttoned up today. So far I only lost one plastic socket for the EBP sensor pigtail. I also broke the starter solenoid and the oil filter stand pipe. Not too bad for this size job done by an amateur in my bike shop:)

Tomorrow I'll add batteries and fluids and pray it starts.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Best of luck, I hope it lasts you a very, VERY long time after all this work! I'm impressed that you tackled such a project, not sure I'd want to do it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I had knots in my stomach when we cranked over my Cummins for the first time last year. Probably more nervous than sitting on the starting line of a race waiting for the banner to drop.

Good luck.

rholbrook

I had knots in my stomach when we cranked over my Cummins for the first time last year. Probably more nervous than sitting on the starting line of a race waiting for the banner to drop.

Good luck.
After all these years you still get that? Not me, I just want to make sure I dont eat dust. Chads IG has updated pictures, we can see where his loyalty is. Its with people who dont love him like we do here.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Sorry for not updating the thread, IG is too easy. This thing has consumed every waking moment for at least a month now. So here is the update.

Got the motor back in.
20171129_203856.jpg

Like Paul says, I was super nervous. This is a huge investment of both time and money. If I screwed up it is going to hurt. But this is basically a push rod small block. It should be easy.

I go to start it and........... no go.
I was pretty frustrated. After checking all the quick and easy things with no luck I took a day off to cool down and regroup.
Here is where I sit now.
The engine is turning 150-200 rpm which is enough to fire it.
6.0's take a lot of cranking to refill the high pressure oil system that is required to fire the injectors. I filled it with oil through the filter housing and it primes much faster. This extended cranking usually throws people for a loop and they think something is broke.

My ICP is reading 1500psi, requires 500 to fire, so high pressure oil is good.
IPR sensor is only 54% duty cycle while cranking so it is sending oil to the injectors so that is good.

FICM is reading 47.5 volts while cranking, anything over 46 is good.
Now for the more in depth stuff.
To determine timing, the motor uses a crank position and cam position sensor. It sends them to the PCM and that sync signal goes to the FICM (fuel injector control module) and fires the injectors. I have to FICM Sync per my scan gauge or my Edge CTS.
I do read RPM, that comes from the crank sensor, so I know that is good. Replaced the cam sensor and still no sync.
I had the harness out on the bench checking for chaffing so I figure I could have broke a wire. So I track down the signal to the middle plug on the PCM, pins 31 and 43. This is a reluctance sensor, basically a magnet the changes states when a ferrous metal object passes by it. So I check the resistance, 800 ohms, that good. Crank it over and I get 100-200 mv A/C at .9 Hz, which is good. So the PCM is getting signal.
I swapped a PCM from my father in law's truck that is running, still no sync. So I am down to a bad FICM. I pulled the original one and checked all the pins since you have to plug the harness in blind. The pins are all good. Will swap a good one in tonight.

Hope to have it up and running before Christmas. I am sure I have taken 10 years off my life stressing about this thing but it is satisfying to identify an issue and resolve it. Plus, I will have a brand new, much better than stock engine and I know 10x more about it than before. If it every breaks down, I am pretty confident I have the knowledge to find the problem now. That piece of mind is nice, especially when you drive a 6.0:)

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
My 6.0 was having the same issue with sync. I wish I could remember what I did, I think I swapped the cam sensor, and then it fired right up after I made enough oil pressure.

That picture of the 6.0 engine bay gives me anxiety. LOL

This is the 6.7 Cummins for comparison. Much more room for activities.

url
2014_ram_2500_6.7L_cummins.jpg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My 6.0 was having the same issue with sync. I wish I could remember what I did, I think I swapped the cam sensor, and then it fired right up after I made enough oil pressure.

That picture of the 6.0 engine bay gives me anxiety. LOL

This is the 6.7 Cummins for comparison. Much more room for activities.

url
2014_ram_2500_6.7L_cummins.jpg
That even looks cluttered compared to a deleted Cummins........until you add a compound turbo, then the passenger side fills back up.:D

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I soooo hope you get it resolved. I am having little twitches right now after reading your post. I may go visit my therapist tomorrow...

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I soooo hope you get it resolved. I am having little twitches right now after reading your post. I may go visit my therapist tomorrow...
Most of my motivation is to deprive you and Stratton from being able to say, I told you so. Lol. I'll get it man. It's mechanical and electronical. Not rocket surgery.