6.0 powerstroke rebuild.

ricsrx

Jeeper (Brian)
do you have any holy water left? i would like to keep some on hand for my truck.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Ty found the reason for the starter issue and my slow crank which MIGHT be the reason I have no sync. There is a spacer between the crank and the flexplate that indexes the flexplate off the crank. I am missing that spacer. Not sure where it went but it's not there. This is causing the flexplate to bind on the starter and possibly the torque converter. He will have to pull the transmission and flexplate to install it. Hopefully that is the fix. I'll keep you guys posted.

Tonkaman

Ty found the reason for the starter issue and my slow crank which MIGHT be the reason I have no sync. There is a spacer between the crank and the flexplate that indexes the flexplate off the crank. I am missing that spacer. Not sure where it went but it's not there. This is causing the flexplate to bind on the starter and possibly the torque converter. He will have to pull the transmission and flexplate to install it. Hopefully that is the fix. I'll keep you guys posted.

Oh dang

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I really have poor timing. I took it to the shop just as they were moving to a new building and right at the holidays. He told me it would be a few weeks before he could even look at it so it's no surprise.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well no news is good news when it comes to 6.0's. I take back any good thing I have ever said about 6 liter power strokes.

Got a call from Ty last night. Looks like I had a piston hit the valves on at least a couple cylinders, bent rods and scared pistons:mad:. He only had one head off so we don't know the full story yet but. He checked valve recess on the brand new $$$$ O-ringed, best you can buy heads and they are at the minimum spec. So if the machine shop took very much off the block deck and the piston protrusion is at the max spec then we have a root cause. The other possibility is that the machine shop set timing incorrectly which is what I have thought for a while now.

6.0's may be a mediocre engine but it is literally impossible to find good parts or anyone who knows what the hell they are doing when it comes to working on them. Ty has been awesome to this point (slow but awesome) and if I'd just taken it to him this would all have been his headache, lesson learned. We will see how everyone behaves once the root cause is found. My best case is that the machine shop will pay for another motor and I'm left with the thousands in labor for removal and install and a motor I have zero confidence in. I have almost no faith that they will do anything past that. F-word!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The worst part is that by round 3 or 4 everyone, including yourself, will be so tired of that motor that shortcuts get taken, and it's not put together nearly the same way as it was the first time.. and then you are left with an unreliable motor.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I've had really great experiences with Staceys Repair in Woodruff, Utah. They know Ford vehicles very well. They were able to fix a '99 Power Stroke when several other mechanics were baffled. Brent is the manager, phone number is 435-793-4505. Most honest people I've had the pleasure of dealing with.