6.0 powerstroke rebuild.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well I've owned five 6.0 powerstroke trucks and have finally been bitten.
My current rig is a 2006 F-350 CC LB with 134k miles on it. I deleted the egr and replaced the oil cooler with a factory unit at 124k.
Last week headed to Wendover for a desert race it started to smoke just leaving Salt Lake. I figured it was a stuck injector since it smoked more at lower load and was barely noticeable at 70. By the time I got to Wendover and got off I80 it was bellowing like a train. I figured it was totally open now and called it quits before it washed the cylinder and did damage. I checked for codes and it threw a 266,281 and 677. The first two are cylinder 7 injector codes and the third is a glow plug code for that cylinder. Had it towed to LHM Ford on 5th west for a diagnostic. Figured I'd replace the injector this week once they confirmed my suspension.

Got a call from. The dealership today. They think it dropped a glow plug into cylinder 7 and damaged the injector, cylinder and head but couldn't confirm without digging in. Their estimate for a short block and head was $11,500. Needless to say I'm not stoked. It's being towed to my house tomorrow so I can tear into it. I plan to pull injector 7 and scope the cylinder to see if it's chewed before pulling the motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Agility Customs

Vendor
I was in alltruck and car today picking up an LS motor and they had a low mile 6.0 psd motor sitting there in the showroom. Super clean and ready to drop in with turbo and all. Its worth looking into I want to say it was like 3500 bucks. I didnt pay any attention to it and then this thread pops up.

http://www.alltruckinc.com/

they warranty all there motors and even sell extended warranties

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Ouch. Seems like I was just finishing up a Cummins rebuild at this time last year...........oh yeah, I was. The only advice I give is that if you are going to keep the truck build it the way you want. Putting the compound turbos on mine was the best thing I did and worth every penny

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I was in alltruck and car today picking up an LS motor and they had a low mile 6.0 psd motor sitting there in the showroom. Super clean and ready to drop in with turbo and all. Its worth looking into I want to say it was like 3500 bucks. I didnt pay any attention to it and then this thread pops up.

http://www.alltruckinc.com/

they warranty all there motors and even sell extended warranties
Thanks for the heads up. That sounds better than the prices I'm seeing for short blocks. I wouldn't feel good about dropping a complete used 6.0 in but the short blocks are pretty solid so a low mileage motor for just the short block might be a good option.

Oil/egr coolers, head gaskets and valve train are the biggest issues with 6.0's along with so many crappy aftermarket parts. So like Paul says, I plan on keeping this truck, I'm going to build it using quality parts. I know to many people that have got a $5k "deal" that never ran right, broke down multiple times and ended up costing double in the end.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Talked to the service guy again this morning. He clarified that they didn't actually tear anything apart. The failure he told me (which changed to a glow plug Or injector tip) broken off and bouncing around in the cylinder was a guess based on their experience with the symptoms and the codes I had. He wouldnt be able to know unless they tore it apart. So that was better news.
Got it home this afternoon and tore #7 injector out. Great news, it has a big crack but it did not blow off into the cylinder. I'll pull the glow plug tomorrow and scope the cylinder. Hoping the cylinder is OK and I'm just out an injector.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The cracked injector
7b5d158d949d915b115ab2ac1b373b84.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Found the culprit. Glow plug tip broke off. Looks like it will be a full tear down. It doesn't look like a Motorcraft part from the numbers I can read. Looks like someone saved $10 on a glow plug that destroyed a $16k engine. Dammit.
7ea04d99148faa7d04b302db7fd92b64.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I wouldn't be so quick to condemn it yet. Did you scope it? What's the piston look like? Check compression or do a leak down test to check the valves. It's possible the broken plug disintegrated without damage, other than the injector.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I would do a compression test. I've seen broken glow plugs before in engine, and it didn't even affect them. Hell my 6.2 Diesel sucked a rag through the intake one day while I was trying to get it started. It chewed that baby up and spit it out the exhaust manifold... LOL, no damage whatsoever.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I haven't scoped it yet. The scope I bought was garbage. I'm going to get one this week and take a look at it.

I am really hoping for a good cylinder. I am having a difficult time finding an engine builder that produces quality short or long blocks for these. I don't have the skills to tackle the entire engine build from the block up so I have to trust someone else and that is hard to do with all the experience I have with 6.0's and people getting royally screwed by shops.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I grew up and went to high school with Terry Thain at Midnight Diesel in Hyde Park, UT. If I were in your shoes, I'd get their opinion and go from there? (if you put a Cummins in the truck, I'm pretty interested :D)

I'll have to give them a call. Thanks for the recommendation. That's the problem. I have zero experience with anyone building/repairing these engines who has done quality work. That's why I do my own, this is just beyond my ability.

As for the Cummins. I looked at the conversion kits. Just the conversion kits are as much as a 6.0 shortblock, then you have to source a good Cummins. It would be cool though.

I may be fooling myself but a really think you can correct the several issues that were manufactured into these engines and if you pay attention and use quality parts you can make them last. This is my first fubar with a couple hundred thousand miles on 6.0's and a broken glow plug is no 6.0 specific issue.

EDIT: I believe it's Moonlight diesel.

Last edited: