6.0 powerstroke rebuild.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thanks for all the moral support guys. I spoke with Ty again today. He got the motor torn down and verified that the timing was set wrong at the machine shop. They are going to correct this, deal with the piston protrusion by either a new block or milling the pistons/recessing the valves more and they are going to cover some part of the labor for the removal/replacement. Ty is also working with Kill Devil on the heads. I feel a little better now but I still can't believe that heads in spec and a short block in spec could contact each other. I am somewhat pleased to be vindicated. All the work I performed was correct, aside from assuming new parts would be good parts.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm still waiting. Everyone is blaming some one else. Machine shop is blaming Wasatch diesel and they are giving me lots of lip service but not much to show for it. I hope to get it back in May. If not I'm going to persue legal action.
As soon as it's back I'm trading it for an ecoboost. I'm likely out of the diesel game for good.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Diesel parts and labor are $$$. I think that has brought a lot of unreputable people to the game. I can blame Ford for poor design but that doesn't explain why a machine shop can't set deck height or cam timing or why the best new casting heads have valve recession set on the edge of the specs. The motor is flawed and there are no honest people in business to fix them. Unless I do it. Myself I don't feel like I can trust the job is done right and I can't fix transmissions so Cummins are out of the question

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Just an update, sorry it's so long. Metric Machine in Centerville is the shop who built the motor incorrectly. I would avoid them like the plague. They are only wanting to cover the price of new "thicker head gaskets and reassembly parts" I'm not really ok with that so Wasatch has agreed to have a different block done by another machine shop. They, Wasatch are going to cover the rebuild kit parts and all the machine work. I will be responsible for the removal/install labor. That is the last deal we talked about and I am still operating under that assumption. So here is the rest of the drama.

When I spoke with Wasatch on April 17th he said he was dropping the new block off at H&S machine in West Valley. Last week, Wasatch said the block would be done this week, this week it took 4 calls and several texts to get a response. Finally they told me they are picking it up on Monday (it's always tomorrow with these guys) and that they would be doing the final assembly of the short block. Not sure I believe that it was dropped off when they say, but maybe it does take 3 weeks for a machine shop to get to it and bore/hone and deck it.

The first week of April I called and said this needed to get finished and that my patience had ran out, he started back pedaling and getting defensive. He actually said that most of this was my fault, ya. He said I bought a motor and tried to do it myself and there are lots of things I should have checked, that they would have checked had they been the ones installing the motor. I had to swallow really hard. So basically he was saying the new motor I paid for I shouldn't trust and I should verify any work I paid him for to make sure it was actually done. This guy has some small brains or big balls. Best part is he told me when I picked up the motor that he had gone over everything, timing, piston protrusion and he had verified that this engine was primo, but liars forget what lies they have told so whatever, this will all come out in the end. Back to this week.

It gets better, I told them I need a date when the truck will be finished. They said, they will get the block Monday, assemble the short block themselves to ensure it's done correctly, then assemble the long block and get me on the schedule to get the truck on the lift and the engine in but they are really busy and lift time is tight. The guy actually said, and I quote," if you were to walk in off the street today, I'm scheduled two weeks out, so you'd be looking at waiting two weeks, but I'll try and squeeze you in where I can." I literally laughed into the phone and said, my truck has been in your shop since December 27th. I can't make this stuff up. Who the hell tells a customer who has been waiting 5 months that they are booked two weeks out?

In April I was to the point of hiring an attorney and sueing but I am almost to the end of this ordeal and am optimistic (for no apparent reason) that the truck will actually be running before the end of May. Now I'll just have to see what he tries to charge me for his removal/install labor. When Metric was going to pay 1/2 the labor and all the parts, I asked what that labor number would be and he told me $4200, for MY HALF. Ford quoted 38 hours for engine removal/install so I'm sure Wasatch was just wanting me to pay the full thing and telling me Metric covered half. I figure they sold me a bad engine for full price, they have sat on the truck for 5 months, the very least they can do is not charge me full price for their labor, am I expecting too much?

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I admire your patience. I think I would have burned the place down by now.

Places to avoid:
Wasatch
H&S
Metric Motors

Despite the 6.0 (& 6.4) trucks being great trucks, they are cursed with a craptastic engine. I tried to talk myself into a stick, 6.0 crew F550 last week. Glad I passed on it. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this but I’m going to learn from your experience and stay away from the trucks.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I tried to talk myself into a stick, 6.0 crew F550 last week. Glad I passed on it.

This so much, you have so much more patience than me. While recently trolling the interwebs for a truck I couldn't believe how cheap you can pick up 6.0's but every time I clicked on an ad I was reminded of this thread and said nope.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This might actually happen.
33303208_1911606822185737_4168852002329067520_n.jpg

33418598_1911606815519071_3710030511637266432_n.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well this long saga is actually coming to an end today. The truck is done and he has put 200 miles on it without an issue.
They ended up having another block machines and installed a Ford OEM bottom end kit, OEM is mahle and lots of shops use the mahle kit but the Ford kit replaces pretty much everything. So the engine is new except for injectors and the hpop.
We had a little discussion over final cost but Ty was fair and reasonable. He covered all the parts and we split the labor for the removal/ install which I think is fair.
This whole thing was a mess but could have gone much worse had he just refused to address the machine shops mistakes and blamed me as a DIY installer like the machine shop did. Hopefully I have a couple hundred thousand miles to get out of this truck before it rusts to pieces.