6.0 powerstroke rebuild.

Agility Customs

Vendor
From what I have heard, 1300 for short bursts is not bad, as in a minute or so. It climbed from 900 at the bottom to 1300 around midway.

I have heard this as well I still back out of the throttle on my cummins when I close in on 1100-1150 but that only happens pulling about 15k pounds up huge grades when its 100 degrees outside. I have always been over cautious, melting a piston cause I didnt want to let off just sounds silly to me.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have heard this as well I still back out of the throttle on my cummins when I close in on 1100-1150 but that only happens pulling about 15k pounds up huge grades when its 100 degrees outside. I have always been over cautious, melting a piston cause I didnt want to let off just sounds silly to me.
I was always worried about EGT's on my Cummins and the compounds really keep them under control. When I had my new programming put in recently I was talking to the guy about EGT's and he does not bat an eye about running a Cummins in the 1350 range. He says that when the newer motors are going through a re-gen when you are towing you will see EGT's of 1550 to 1650. Personally, I would try and keep a 6.0 1250 or below for extended loads on it.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I was always worried about EGT's on my Cummins and the compounds really keep them under control. When I had my new programming put in recently I was talking to the guy about EGT's and he does not bat an eye about running a Cummins in the 1350 range. He says that when the newer motors are going through a re-gen when you are towing you will see EGT's of 1550 to 1650. Personally, I would try and keep a 6.0 1250 or below for extended loads on it.

Personally, I would try to only drive a 6.0 downhill on cool days with 1 motorcycle in the back. Or really fast towards a sharp corner so the insurance will pay the damn thing off but.... I digress. I don't keep it on the floor and I try to limit 1300 runs to a minute or under. To be honest, I am pretty happy with this motor. How long that lasts has yet to be determined.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This truck is like a treasure trove of new and interesting ways a person can do a half assed job. This week I was driving it and it felt like there was a fold in the floor mat under the throttle. I pulled the door sill and found the lazy bastards didn't put the floor plug for the cab bolt back in. It had moved over to under my right heel. Motor is still running good. Have about 5K miles on it now. Took a sample from the oil change at 1K miles. Still need to send it back to blackstone.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The first time I got my truck back it ran good, felt good, and seemed we’ll buttoned up. Each time it went back, it got worse and worse.
The thing that is most frustrating for me is that all my issues could have been resolved after that first build very quickly and easily if the guy wasn’t a moron.
By the last time I got it back, bolts were missing, bolts were stripped, ran like a turd.. etc

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This truck is like a treasure trove of new and interesting ways a person can do a half assed job. This week I was driving it and it felt like there was a fold in the floor mat under the throttle. I pulled the door sill and found the lazy bastards didn't put the floor plug for the cab bolt back in. It had moved over to under my right heel. Motor is still running good. Have about 5K miles on it now. Took a sample from the oil change at 1K miles. Still need to send it back to blackstone.

Hope all is well. Have a friend at work with a 210k mile 2003 black crew shortbed that he wants to get $10,500 out of if anyone is looking :D

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I got $13.5K out of my 6.0 when I sold it. I had so much anxiety everytime I drove it after I got it fixed again. Some poor dude from Idaho bought it. I actually made $200 on it when I sold it.

The dude gave me a check, drove off and I felt a calm I hadn't felt in 3 years.

Then about 5 minutes later he knocked on my door. I almost crapped myself and had a heart attack. He was just returning my garage door opener. LOL. Words cannot express the relief I felt with it out of my life.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
How much to install that in a 2003 Ford 6.0L ?
When I priced kits, they were several thousand for mounts, harness and trans adapters, I want to say $4500 for the 06 which was the same year as my PSD.
In all honesty, I don't have any hesitation to drive this truck cross country. It took a long time and there are some stupid little issues but it starts easy and runs really well.
I will admit, I love knowing how every part of a vehicle works. I feel like I have that knowledge with this one. If it starts to have small issues I'm confident I can identify the source, I did with the original short block, I just didn't want to believe I had to do all that work again.

ricsrx

How much to install that in a 2003 Ford 6.0L ?
$
When I priced kits, they were several thousand for mounts, harness and trans adapters, I want to say $4500 for the 06 which was the same year as my PSD.
In all honesty, I don't have any hesitation to drive this truck cross country. It took a long time and there are some stupid little issues but it starts easy and runs really well.
I will admit, I love knowing how every part of a vehicle works. I feel like I have that knowledge with this one. If it starts to have small issues I'm confident I can identify the source, I did with the original short block, I just didn't want to believe I had to do all that work again.

I am looking forward to getting my swap done next summer

4x4_Welder

Make sure to keep an eye on your HFCM, and fuel pressure. Use only Motorcraft fuel filters and Mahle or Motorcraft oil filters. Your initial failure was likely a cracked check plate in that injector from fuel starvation, the glow plug was collateral.
I like the 6.0, if you know it's weaknesses you can make it strong. I won't touch a 6.4 with a ten foot pole, those really are not redeemable.
I've also had Cummins injectors go full blow torch mode and cut the piston and block beyond repair. I don't trust common rail engines for that reason.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Make sure to keep an eye on your HFCM, and fuel pressure. Use only Motorcraft fuel filters and Mahle or Motorcraft oil filters. Your initial failure was likely a cracked check plate in that injector from fuel starvation, the glow plug was collateral.
I like the 6.0, if you know it's weaknesses you can make it strong. I won't touch a 6.4 with a ten foot pole, those really are not redeemable.
I've also had Cummins injectors go full blow torch mode and cut the piston and block beyond repair. I don't trust common rail engines for that reason.
Thanks for the advice. I always use Ford filters and change both top and bottom fuel filters every 15k miles.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
P.S.A. All is well, just an update:cool:

I have 6K miles on the new motor and it is running really well.
I have been averaging 15 mpg mixed driving. It used to average 13.5.

I have been doing some reading and am going to start doing used oil analysis on this since it is a brand new motor. I have always ran Rotella T6 "full synthetic" 5W40 because the truck started easier in the cold and I usually only change it 2x per year so it was not a big expense. After reading a bunch of UOA's were 5w40 was shearing to 30w around 2500 miles I decided to try some different oil. Many people have had good luck with 10w30 in the 6.0 and have the UOA to prove it. So I just changed the oil and switched to Rotella T5 10w30. It is on the Ford approved oil list after there were changes going from CJ rated oil to CK rating. I will send in my T6 sample from the first 5k miles and see how it did and compare to this oil.

I'm a little hesitant to run 10w30 in the summer pulling 12k lbs but for the winter and spring it is a big improvement. The truck starts easier and runs smoother from the get go.

Also changed the fuel filters this oil change and installed my 1" leveling kit. The truck still has 1.5" of rake which is perfect but I have 1" more front travel which is nice.