6.0 powerstroke rebuild.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Changed the oil this week. Still running really well at 150k. The rear pinion is leaking again, had it replaced at Six states in May of 2019 at 144k miles. I'm going to check the vent hose and if it's not plugged I'll give them a call. They did have to speed sleeve it.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Changed the oil today and did the second coolant filter since the rebuild. I change them at 10k intervals. This is what came out of the filter.
20201004_184756.jpg
Looks like it's cast iron. Verified its ferrous with a magnet.
20201004_190516.jpg
I'm very glad I have the filter to catch this instead of the oil cooler.
Engine has 20k on it and still running great.

haulinshine

looks like you might be experiencing some water hammer in you pump, it's a common issue on the 6.0 and you might start seeing some coolant drips soon. It wears away at the water pump cover over time and results in pinholes that leak.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
looks like you might be experiencing some water hammer in you pump, it's a common issue on the 6.0 and you might start seeing some coolant drips soon. It wears away at the water pump cover over time and results in pinholes that leak.
As in the front cover or the water pump itself? I've got a bulletproof diesel billet water pump that needs to go back in. I was thinking this is just waste from the block being machined.

haulinshine

As in the front cover or the water pump itself? I've got a bulletproof diesel billet water pump that needs to go back in. I was thinking this is just waste from the block being machined.
Yes the front cover, its possible that it is from machining, but it is a common issue on the 6.0 and I would keep an eye on it, or put the billet in. When you did the coolant filter did you also do the reverse flow conversion for the heads? The 6.0s also have an issue of air bubbles in water jackets in the heads at cylinders 7 and 8 due to something about the flow and can cause warping in the heads.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Yes the front cover, its possible that it is from machining, but it is a common issue on the 6.0 and I would keep an eye on it, or put the billet in. When you did the coolant filter did you also do the reverse flow conversion for the heads? The 6.0s also have an issue of air bubbles in water jackets in the heads at cylinders 7 and 8 due to something about the flow and can cause warping in the heads.
I didn't reverse the coolant flow. I've never heard of such a mod. I'm fairly confident it's machining debris but I plan to put the billet pump in this winter as the stock pump has a bit of play.

haulinshine

I didn't reverse the coolant flow. I've never heard of such a mod. I'm fairly confident it's machining debris but I plan to put the billet pump in this winter as the stock pump has a bit of play.
If you want to learn a lot about the 6.0 issues and how to fix them more or less permanently there is a guy on youtube that owns a shop in GA that specializes in the 6.0 and that is how I found out about the reverse flow kit for the heads and the water hammer . It's called Powerstrokehelp and he has a website called powerstrokehelp.com The guy really knows his stuff.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The old girl got some new shocks last week.
20201204_131507.jpg

My I15 bounce was starting to come back, the previous rears had 50k on them and were spent. Much better now.
I also made good on my promise to replace the oem water pump with my bulletproof diesel unit. Thanks to Wasatch diesel performance I get to install this same pump twice on the same truck. I also found my favorite thing, every bolt is tightened to 10 ugga duggas. I Hate when people over tighten things.
Got the pump replaced with minimal work but did find the front cover I got(not the one that I sent with the truck) is pretty Hammered.
20201210_131614.jpg

Ya, that's pitting and wear. Mine was smooth and without a mark.
I'm not sure it will cause any issues but it's just the gift that keeps on giving.

Also replaced both batteries after they just went dead over night a couple of times in the last two months. We'll see if it's bad batteriea or something in a wire harness grounding intermittently.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You're pretty honest with your thread here and I appreciate that more than the 6.0 fanboyz telling me a 6.0 or 6.4 is awesome after you throw $5-7k at the engine. I think you've got a bit more investment in this truck/rebuild than that.

What would you tell people about rebuilding a 6.0L or would you just recommend the same route of a lot of us and avoid Fords with deezels from mid-2003-2010? My V10 is not near as powerful as your 6.0L or 6.4L but does the job pretty well as long as you put fuel in it. I would expect your 6.0L to get somewhere between 10-12 mpg vs my 6.5-7 mpg with 23k GCVW? The turbo diesel will run away from me on long hill pulls as well but I rarely get below 55 mph towing.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You're pretty honest with your thread here and I appreciate that more than the 6.0 fanboyz telling me a 6.0 or 6.4 is awesome after you throw $5-7k at the engine. I think you've got a bit more investment in this truck/rebuild than that.

What would you tell people about rebuilding a 6.0L or would you just recommend the same route of a lot of us and avoid Fords with deezels from mid-2003-2010? My V10 is not near as powerful as your 6.0L or 6.4L but does the job pretty well as long as you put fuel in it. I would expect your 6.0L to get somewhere between 10-12 mpg vs my 6.5-7 mpg with 23k GCVW? The turbo diesel will run away from me on long hill pulls as well but I rarely get below 55 mph towing.
I hate liars. It is my one core value as a human. So I appreciate to compliment.

I've said it a couple times throughout this thread, in my opinion, the 6.0 isn't THAT bad, its the countless shops that sprung up to do shoddy work on them, mine included. Metric Machine took way too much off my block and ruined it. How does a machine shop even do that? It's not a 6.0 problem. But who do you trust?
I'd buy another 6.0 now just because they are a good truck, the problems are now WELL documented and they are cheap. Not cheaper than a gas motor like yours, but the fear has helped them be economical, especially when compared to 6.7's or Duramax.

There is a guy in the Kansas City that does 6.0's. Super Duty Service is his shop and youtube channel. He charges something like $2600 for labor and he replaces every part that he finds that needs it. He doesn't give quotes, if he finds an issue he fixes it and you pay for the parts, but the labor is set. If I were doing another one, I'd send it to him. I almost did with mine the first time and it would have saved me at least $5k.

I think diesels are just expensive and it's something you have to just accept or deal with the gasser issues, just like you have.
I really want Ford to put a 6.2 or even a 5.0 ecoboost in a super duty. This truck works great for me. I will likely keep it another 2-4 years and it will have paid back the engine cost in service life. I have been toying with larger injectors, turbo and tunes. The base build is there to handle it. That might stave off my 6.7 want if I could make 500RWHP in the current paid for truck. The cost for those upgrades would be sales tax on a new truck.