6.0 powerstroke rebuild.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
That's lame that shop gave you a cruddy cover instead of yours... I'd be on the phone.
I found out about this cover not being mine shortly after I picked the truck up and noticed it didn't have my BPD water pump. Talking to him would just net me more lies and it's been long enough that he would just be making stuff up. It isn't worth the frustration at this point. It is what it is.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I hate liars. It is my one core value as a human. So I appreciate to compliment.

I've said it a couple times throughout this thread, in my opinion, the 6.0 isn't THAT bad, its the countless shops that sprung up to do shoddy work on them, mine included. Metric Machine took way too much off my block and ruined it. How does a machine shop even do that? It's not a 6.0 problem. But who do you trust?
I'd buy another 6.0 now just because they are a good truck, the problems are now WELL documented and they are cheap. Not cheaper than a gas motor like yours, but the fear has helped them be economical, especially when compared to 6.7's or Duramax.

There is a guy in the Kansas City that does 6.0's. Super Duty Service is his shop and youtube channel. He charges something like $2600 for labor and he replaces every part that he finds that needs it. He doesn't give quotes, if he finds an issue he fixes it and you pay for the parts, but the labor is set. If I were doing another one, I'd send it to him. I almost did with mine the first time and it would have saved me at least $5k.

I think diesels are just expensive and it's something you have to just accept or deal with the gasser issues, just like you have.
I really want Ford to put a 6.2 or even a 5.0 ecoboost in a super duty. This truck works great for me. I will likely keep it another 2-4 years and it will have paid back the engine cost in service life. I have been toying with larger injectors, turbo and tunes. The base build is there to handle it. That might stave off my 6.7 want if I could make 500RWHP in the current paid for truck. The cost for those upgrades would be sales tax on a new truck.
I have a 6.7 powerstroke and I wouldnt buy another, it gets the same mileage as Mbrysons V10 towing and although it does pull good the terrible mileage while doing it is insane to me. I will be getting rid of this truck soon in favor of a cummins.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have a 6.7 powerstroke and I wouldnt buy another, it gets the same mileage as Mbrysons V10 towing and although it does pull good the terrible mileage while doing it is insane to me. I will be getting rid of this truck soon in favor of a cummins.

I’d be super interested in renting that for a weekend before you sell it. See how much I truly like or hate the V10

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Jeeper made note of some bump steer I had not noticed creeping in. All the tie rod ends were replaced just past 100k. I did the steering wheel wobble check and found the track bar has a bit of play and the passenger side tie rod was loose.
I torqued down the tie rode nut to 67 ft lbs per the spec.
I then went for the track bar. The bushing on the frame side was cracked but I didn't take any pics. Pressed it out and put a new Moog unit in.
Ford uses a ball joint on the axle side. It put up a good fight but I won. You can see the wear ring in the pic below.
20220202_164646.jpg

While I was under there, I noticed some coolant seepage on the front of the engine. Traced it back and found it was coming from 6:00 on the water pump. Hard to see without a mirror and some flexibility exercises. The grime buildup here ran all the was to the bottom and was wet.
20220202_131558.jpg
I'm pretty sure I reused the old O-ring when I re-installed my BPD water pump. You can see the flat spot at the bottom here. I love doing a job 3 times due to my own mistakes and other peoples.
20220202_130458.jpg

Picked up a new O-ring from Ford and get it all buttoned back up. After a short test drive it appears to be much better. I tried hitting every man hole cover and it tracked true without any steering wander. Good for another 165k miles now.

Last edited:

1969honda

Supporting Member
I cringed and didn't really want to open it, but like all potential dumpster fires in the making I had to check.

In all fairness though I'm glad the truck is running good and working well for you @glockman

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I just replaced a rear pinion seal AGAIN. The pinion bearings are not pretty. I should put that on the to do list for the next time it's leaking, which will likely be next year which is 5k miles from now.
Oddly enough, this truck has lived with me long enough to see my initial $15k engine investment pay off considering that new diesels are approaching $90k. I can't fathom a $1200 a month truck payment. Another new engine is only 1 year of payments:rofl:.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just replaced a rear pinion seal AGAIN. The pinion bearings are not pretty. I should put that on the to do list for the next time it's leaking, which will likely be next year which is 5k miles from now.
Oddly enough, this truck has lived with me long enough to see my initial $15k engine investment pay off considering that new diesels are approaching $90k. I can't fathom a $1200 a month truck payment. Another new engine is only 1 year of payments:rofl:.

I'm not saying anything as I believe I have the same rear axle?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Pulling my trailer last week I had some surging up hills and the truck threw a P0478 and P2262 code. Both have to do with exhaust back pressure. On the way home, threw the same codes that had self cleared and just south of Scipio it blew an intercooler boot which was likely due to over boosting. One of the nice things about driving the same truck for 10 years is I know what the common issues are so I had the proper tools to reseat the boot in a couple minutes road side and we were back rolling.
When we got home I checked the ebp sensor and it was reading lower than expected.
I threw a new one in today and it seems to be reading as expected. $145 for a simple pressure sensor🤬 but it's cheaper than one truck payment.
It's really easy to get to as well.
20220807_093201.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
A little update. Pulled the trailer a few more times without issues. Then headed to Oregon the P0478 came back. Cleared it and it made the return trip without a hiccup.
Pulling to Yost this past weekend it came back. The truck is also getting some power surges and it over boosting (30+ psi) when pulling hills. I'm going to try cleaning the EBP tube that runs from the manifold to the sensor and see what that does. I also need to clean the MAF as it used the EBP, MAP and MAF to determine boost and operate the VGT vanes. It's possible the MAF is dirty and skewing the numbers.
I know the turbo on this truck is probably not the one it went to Wasatch Diesel with and it definitely has some shaft play. I have been looking at a KC turbo's stage one and possibly upgrading to slightly larger injectors too. Power Driven Diesel in Cedar has some pretty good success getting the 6.0 with those upgrades and some tuning into the high 400hp range to the wheels. That is 6.7 power for less than the sales tax on a used 6.7.