Toyota 6.0L Taco Project....

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
It's been a while since I've posted to any online forum, but I thought I'd share my current project with whomever may be interested in it. I picked up a 2000 Tacoma about 3.5-4 years ago, it had 3.4, 5spd, huge lift and 35"s but other wise stock. It had around 160K on it and being unsure when and if the timing belt had been changed I replaced it along with the water pump, pulleys and tensioner as well as plugs, wires, and coils. long story short is I was originally thinking of just selling it for a profit, but once I started driving it I decided to keep it. About 8 months after said work, the engine lunched itself, so I parked it for about 3 years, wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. Then I happened onto an '05 Chevy 2500HD that a neighbor owned and wrecked, so I gave him the cash to buy it back from his insurance. It had 110K on the 6.0L v8 and I sat on it for about 3 years as well. So I got the crazy idea to swap the Chevy powertrain into my Taco.... IMG_1255.jpgIMG_1255.jpgIMG_1261.jpgIMG_1255.jpgIMG_1261.jpgIMG_1262.jpgIMG_1265.jpgIMG_1266.jpgIMG_1268.jpgIMG_1269.jpgIMG_1273.jpgIMG_1284.jpgIMG_1290.jpg

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
So over the 4th of July I started the swap, I had the 6.0 in the Tacoma by Saturday afternoon, but the oil pan didn't clear the front diff, so I removed it and left it until yesterday, which gave me 2 weeks to track down other options and parts I needed. I found an old 86 Grand Waggy on Ksl and picked it up for the front D44, then found a used set of Alcan leafs, ordered a cheap set of LS block hugger headers, and purchased some cool WFO Concepts sas parts (these guys are cool, my order was short one shackle mount which the got to me in time to get the sas mostly in this weekend. I sent the GM ecm out to a buddy to have it reprogrammed and I'm waiting for a Howell harness currently. I'm using the GM 4L80E trans as well as the GM NP261 manual shift t-case, mostly for quicker install and also to save money... for now. I also bought a front slip yoke eliminator kit from Northwest Fab out of Canada which I have but haven't installed it yet. The steering gearbox is out of a 95 t-100 which I also have had sitting for a few years lol... Anyhow the last pick is how it's currently sitting, on a D44 and v8 mostly installed... MattIMG_1326.jpgIMG_1329.jpgIMG_1333.jpgIMG_1334.jpgIMG_1335.jpgIMG_1337.jpgIMG_1340.jpgIMG_1344.jpgIMG_1345.jpgIMG_1346.jpg

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
Not too much more to report, I replaced the brake calipers, installed new longer braided brake hoses and made hard lines to go from the Toyota metric to SAE. Also installed my Northwest Fab front SYE in my GM np261 t-case... which is totally mall crawl rated so it will work for now lol. Ordered my crossover steering parts too now that I know what steering arm and pitman I need...

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
I got a few more items done this week, I got both drivelines made, the front is installed and the rear is waiting for the regear and larger 05 and newer pinion flange. I have the gears for both ends, 4:88s as well as the flange and a Yukon air locker for the rear. I'm going to have Dusty Sexton install them for me soon. Also got the steering set up done, the crossover and the shaft going to the column. I had a custom made pressure hose made to adapt my GM pump to the T-100 gear box too. My wiring harness and ECM showed up too, so I have the harness installed.... mostly lol. I still need to get my exhaust done so I can plug the o2 sensors in and I need to make sure I tie up the wiring a bit better also. We bled the brakes and they seem to work great, now that the steering and brakes work it's much easier to push in and out of the shop lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 43

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
Well, it's been a while since I updated this thread. The 6.0 Taco lives! The beast runs and drives great. I still have a lot of finishing touches, but it's at the point where I can register it tomorrow... (DMV is only open on Wednesdays and Thursdays in Kamas). I will take more pics and post soon.