6.7 diesel gas mileage question

pkrfctr

I'm coming due for a new tow rig, leaning toward an f350. Drove a GMC, its out. Still need to drive the Dodge, but hated the one I owned in 2004. What kind of mileage are you guys getting out the 6.7? I'll be pulling 10k pounds lets say 80 mph. The goal is 12 mpg, don't care if I need to a delete. Is it feasible?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a 2017 Ram 3500 Crew Cab shortbed. The cab alone is a much better up grade from your old truck. The front suspension has also been changed since 2014 I think. It provides a much better ride due to longer control arms.

I have not deleted and I really have to stay under 70 mph to see 10 mpg while towing my 5th wheel (10k) If you delete, you can definitely see 12 mpg while towing that much.

Go for the 3500 over the 2500 for several reasons. No TPMS alarm on the 3500, instead of that you get a TPMS monitor. The 2500 is coil sprung or airbag sprung. Nice ride, but sags with weight and is overly complicated for the few benefits it sometimes provides. I'm very happy with the ride on mine, and ride quality was very high on the list when we considered each manufacturer.

Really, the only reason we didn't get the F350 was ride quality.

Jesser04

Why is the gmc out? Depending on the profile of the trailer I don’t see you getting 12 out of any of the diesels pulling 80mph 10mpg is more realistic.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I don’t see you getting 12 out of any of the diesels pulling 80mph 10mpg is more realistic.
^^^^^This. I have a deleted 6.7 Cummins running compounds. I can basically idle at 80 mph towing my enclosed that weighs 4500# and only get around 10mpg. If I drop down to around 70, it will get about 12-13.

Jesser04

For me pulling my boat loaded it weights around 6000 I get 10 but like Anderson750 said if I drop down to 70 I’ll get another 3-4 mpg better. I can’t stand driving 70 the up side is it still seems to get 10 going 85. You’ll get 16-18 empty anyone claiming their getting better than than drives like a grandpa or is full of shit.

pkrfctr

Just pulling the jeep on a flat trailer and yes its pushing 10k.
Didn't like the GMC denali, rode rougher than the Ford and the back seat was a joke- no cup holders, no A/C, no USB, and tiny. My kids thought they were in a third world country back there. :)
Jesser are you deleted?

Jesser04

Just pulling the jeep on a flat trailer and yes its pushing 10k.
Didn't like the GMC denali, rode rougher than the Ford and the back seat was a joke- no cup holders, no A/C, no USB, and tiny. My kids thought they were in a third world country back there. :)
Jesser are you deleted?

No. Had a 6.4 that was deleted and I liked the added power but when I was pulling I was constantly watching gauges and I didn’t like that. I don’t think I’d delete another till the warranty has expired. The new trucks have so much power I don’t know if it worth the hassle on the emissions end.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
For me pulling my boat loaded it weights around 6000 I get 10 but like Anderson750 said if I drop down to 70 I’ll get another 3-4 mpg better. I can’t stand driving 70 the up side is it still seems to get 10 going 85. You’ll get 16-18 empty anyone claiming their getting better than than drives like a grandpa or is full of shit.

I do drive like a grandpa and the best I've ever gotten empty in my 2017 was 19 mpg, but only one time. Most of the time it's like you said, 16-18. I get as high as 12 pulling the Jeep on my dump trailer maybe 8k lbs. Pulling the SXS on its trailer at about 4k I can see 14 mpg, but it tucks nice and low behind the truck.

My 2009 got much better empty mileage, but I really didn't tow much with it. I had the egr unplugged and would see 20 all the time.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What really bugs me, is that my work truck gets nearly the same mileage as my Ram does when towing. I calculate the average on a weekly basis and I'm consistently getting 8.2-8.5 average for the week. If I have light freight and no wind I can get into the 9's. That's an 80k lbs freightliner with a Cummins motor and a 10 spd manual trans.

Toad

My 2014 ram gets 28-32 towing a 45 foot toy hauler...:rolleyes:

Im leveled on 35s. Empty I see about 16. My flatbed is a large 26 foot 14k trailer empty it weighs 4800lbs. Any decent size rig and I am towing 10k. With a load like that I typically see close to 12. I towed a long tri axle gooseneck a couple weeks ago. I had a F150 crew cab and a dodge durango on that I was 9ish with that load. Im guessing I was about 27k total.

I agree on the GM trucks. I personally am not a fain. I think no matter what you buy you will see about 10 mpg towing a air dam of a 5th wheel.

Jesser04

Real world numbers 2016 duramax crew cab dually this is mixed use driving.

Attachments

• C2DEADC3-251D-4B14-B0F0-73538DB18B07.jpeg
    C2DEADC3-251D-4B14-B0F0-73538DB18B07.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 31
  • CCBD12F2-4882-4814-9126-F0F1DD287F72.jpeg
    CCBD12F2-4882-4814-9126-F0F1DD287F72.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 31

Corban_White

What really bugs me, is that my work truck gets nearly the same mileage as my Ram does when towing. I calculate the average on a weekly basis and I'm consistently getting 8.2-8.5 average for the week. If I have light freight and no wind I can get into the 9's. That's an 80k lbs freightliner with a Cummins motor and a 10 spd manual trans.

The Freightliner probably can't take that 80k up parleys at 80mph though. While not the only reason for the difference, I'm sure it has something to do with it.

Houndoc

I also wondered why would cross off the GMC.

The ride from the Chevy/GMCs we have had a worlds better than the Dodge that preceded them and reliability has been fantastic.

Sold an 04 few years ago with 350K on it and our '06 is sitting at 220ish.

Can't say that I have paid too much attention to mileage, especially when towing but think Lake Powell trips with the boat are probably in the 10-12 range. Most pulling of the horse trailer are short runs so not sure on the heavier loads.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My Ram wouldn't pull Parleys at 80 fully loaded either.

The Freightliner is usually about 35 up the steeper parts of Parleys. The engine is more than twice the size of the Ram Cummins motor, but doesn't get much worse mileage when fully loaded. Empty weight of the semi truck and trailer is about 34k.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My Ram wouldn't pull Parleys at 80 fully loaded either.
Compounds will fix that problem.o_Oo_Oo_O

1006161738_zpsheku1yvl.jpg

Last edited: