68 highboy

I was told I should do a build thread, i have had this project for a looong time, this was my first truck, I took my wife on our first date in this truck, it was my dads truck before me while I was growing up. I decided to do a body swap sometime in 2009, but a bad year in 2010 ( loosing two grandparents, a great grandma, and my father, as well as welcoming a second kid into our family took the wind out of my sail. I did work on it here and there over the years, but it has mainly been a looked over second thought. My kids are now at the age where they are starting to want to do stuff with friends over hanging with mom and dad, and I finally have the ambition to start working on the old girl again. So to keep me motivated and moving on the project I’m starting a build thread.

I’m currently found a high pinion open knuckle Dana 44 swamp, disc brakes and a better turning radius are my two major motivators to make this work.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
I am cleaning up the selecto lockouts that came with the axle, and was wondering if they really should be packed full of grease like the previous owner had done. I am leaning towards a thin coating on all the splines. Anyone have any advise on how much to lube these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 9

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Supporting Vendor
I don't know about Selectro specifically, but every other hub I've seen just wants a thin film of lube, like you said.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
I was told I should do a build thread, i have had this project for a looong time, this was my first truck, I took my wife on our first date in this truck, it was my dads truck before me while I was growing up. I decided to do a body swap sometime in 2009, but a bad year in 2010 ( loosing two grandparents, a great grandma, and my father, as well as welcoming a second kid into our family took the wind out of my sail. I did work on it here and there over the years, but it has mainly been a looked over second thought. My kids are now at the age where they are starting to want to do stuff with friends over hanging with mom and dad, and I finally have the ambition to start working on the old girl again. So to keep me motivated and moving on the project I’m starting a build thread.

I’m currently found a high pinion open knuckle Dana 44 swamp, disc brakes and a better turning radius are my two major motivators to make this work.
How about a photo of the rig?

Die Blaue Ziege

Cooking up some goodness, bake at 500 degrees for twenty minutes. Serve on a bed of fresh grease. 🤤

Attachments

• 4C836799-127E-42D5-AEBF-8813B60298EB.jpeg
    4C836799-127E-42D5-AEBF-8813B60298EB.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 23

Die Blaue Ziege

I will get a better pic of the truck once I can roll it out into the daylight. Today I finished the drivers side bearing/seal rebuild and when I was installing the selectro hubs the inner aluminum has b crumbled. Dang as mile marker owns the selectro brand, I contacted them. They don’t make replacement parts. So after much debating and web searching trying to decide on a replacement hub. I decided a set of mile marker premium hubs would be a good upgrade. And yea I know that rim is crap, I’m waiting to purchase rims and tires until after the truck is drivable.

Attachments

• 578F662C-7A1B-4C7A-AEFA-44FA94EB5348.jpeg
    578F662C-7A1B-4C7A-AEFA-44FA94EB5348.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 20

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
You know my feelings on slot mags 😂

That said I think a set of shiny aluminum would be far better than the ‘always grey’ magnesium wheels. These would look sharp and give you a 17” which might open some doors for tire selection. Just a thought..

34639F62-D992-4005-A053-96CC4BBE6C6E.jpeg