6D helmets

Tonkaman

Does anyone in here have a hookup on 6D helmets? My daughter needs a new helmet for motocross. Unfortunately she has grown into the adult sizes and they are crazy expensive.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The Bell carbon flex are good helmets. Send them a racing resume for her and they will probably give you the standard 35% discount. If you dont want to send one I could get you one on our discount.

Tonkaman

The Bell carbon flex are good helmets. Send them a racing resume for her and they will probably give you the standard 35% discount. If you dont want to send one I could get you one on our discount.
That’s good input, thanks Paul. I’ll look into what the sponsorship requires. I’ll have to have her try one on somewhere as well.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
While I think the technology behind the 6D helmets is great, it is also substantially heavier than comparably priced Bell, Arai, Shoei & Airoh helmets. I have a 6D and notice the extra weight compared to my Klim.

Tonkaman

It’s funny that I’m ok with a mid to high end helmet for my own head. Yet somehow I can’t convince myself it’s ok to get my daughter anything but the best if the best.

When I started looking into 6D it was mostly based on the the fact that youth helmets don’t offer a bunch of competition at that level of performance. Now that I learned she’s in adult size helmets my options are quite a bit greater.

I appreciate all the input, I’ll do a bit more digging.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
How did your daughter do this weekend? If you are planning any trips to St. George or Mesquite any of these weekends for practice, I would love to help her out a little bit

Tonkaman

She struggled a little bit, but still had a great time. That track is by far the biggest track she’s ever ridden. The deep mud in practice really took the wind out of her sails, but by her first moto it wasn’t so bad. Her class had 13 bikes and she placed 7th in both Motos.

I would love getting your help with her! She really responds well to other riders instead of just what her dad tells her. We will be back down in January for the next RMX race, but probably not before then.

How did your daughter do this weekend? If you are planning any trips to St. George or Mesquite any of these weekends for practice, I would love to help her out a little bit

Tonkaman

I ended up ordering a carbon flex from Rocky Mountain. It was on clearance for $350! Considering their $650 price tag, I was all over it. Thanks for the recommendation

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I ended up ordering a carbon flex from Rocky Mountain. It was on clearance for $350! Considering their $650 price tag, I was all over it. Thanks for the recommendation
All the upper end helmets are really good. 6D is a great helmet, but they offer very little in the way of rider support and discount. If you look at all the upper end helmets, they are all offering some type of impact system. From what I have seen, most of these systems only have a benefit in the low to mid impact range. I don't care what the helmet brand is, all will result in some kind of a concussion in a very hard impact......of which will result in the need to replace the helmet.

There is a lot of marketing that goes into safety equipment and the fear of injury and the unknown. I am not advocating for less safety equipment, but after spending time around a few former professional racers like Tyler Villipoto, Ryan Hughes and Destry Abbott as they have taught, what you find out is that some safety equipment can cause as many problems as they claim it can prevent. there are plenty of documented cases of neck braces causing broken backs in the T4-T8 and broken collar bones, that make you wonder if they have prevented as many injuries as they have caused. Position and form on the bike is as important in preventing a crash that can result in an injury as a piece of protective equipment is. On the helmet end, I think 6D makes a great product, and I am currently wearing one, I am just not certain that the extra weight of the helmet does not create other problems. Currently I am hoping that we get good offer from Shoei so that I can get into a lighter helmet.