Toyota 78 fj40 wiring issue -- I need some insight

Lycent

Here's the situation: My "Heater" fuse blows every time I go over a bump just the wrong way (I've not yet found the right way). I sort of let it go over the summer, but it's starting to get a little chilly when I drive with the windows down in the morning to keep the fog to a minimum. So, I figure I better to get to fixing it. Also on that fuse are the oil pressure, fuel, and temp gauges. I thought about just yanking out wire after wire until I found one that was bad, but that seemed like it'd take a bit of extra work and would probably end up causing more problems when I forgot where the good wires went.

Does anyone know of any trouble spots that I should check first or anything that could narrow my search a bit before I start tearing into stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you think of any information that I could give to make the diagnosis easier.

:confused: lycent

jcruiser70

poser
Also on that fuse are the oil pressure, fuel, and temp gauges. I thought about just yanking out wire after wire until I found one that was bad, but that seemed like it'd take a bit of extra work and would probably end up causing more problems when I forgot where the good wires went.

Does anyone know of any trouble spots that I should check first or anything that could narrow my search a bit before I start tearing into stuff?

:confused: lycent

Also check out any wires that run near any heat (exhaust) or moving parts.

Lycent

Great, thanks for the advice! I was sort of hoping for an "Oh, well that is obviously a problem with the hoo-hoo on the doodad" type of answer... :p

I'm still looking but will let you know if I find anything that looks sparky. Any epiphanies, please let me know. Thanks again!

lycent

Silly Willy

I had a similar problem with my heater. It ended up being I had a different fuse out, and because it was out it was overloading the fuse I needed (my heater, overhead light etc.) I replaced them both and haven't had a problem.

But if worse comes to worse a test light usually works lol. if needed I'd be happy to help.

Lycent

@ Silly Willy

All the rest of the fuses are good, but that certainly widens the potential scope of the issue. Thanks for the thoughts and offer.