GMC / Chevy '87 K5 Blazer... thoughts

sled_guy

Ok, I'm thinking about picking up an '87 Silverado Blazer with TBI and a 454 big block in front of the 700R4. It has 10 bolt axles with a limited slip rear end and manual front hubs. 373 gears.

Its pretty well loaded: AC, tilt, power locks/windows, etc. All in good working condition.

My thought is to build a rig for trail use, nothing crazy extreme, but capable none the less. I want to keep it streetable so I don't have to trailer it to my destinations.

So where do I start? Things that come to mind...
Tire size?
Lift height?
Lockers?
What else? I'm basically looking for suggests on things I should modify on it and sort of what the priorties should be.

Thanks,
sled_guy

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
What's your budget? Before you start modding anything you want to go through the rig from front to back checking/changing all fluids, tune-up, bushings, etc.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
With that big block and those axles, I'd work on upgrading at least the rear to a 14 bolt and going 8 lug. Front upgrade could consist of just upgrading to 8 lug outers on the 10 bolt or buying a dana 60 for the front.

It should be a solid wheeler and quite reliable (the big block in front of the 700r4 will be a little suspect, but can be made to live if it's got the right parts in it). You will run into some size issues on some trails, though.

I don't think I'd spend a whole lot of money on the axles being that they are 10 bolts. They're likely limited to 35" tires in my opinion. 4" lift and 35" tires on a Blazer will get you places, though. Depends on what you want to do.

sled_guy

I don't know what my budget is... haven't thought about it. I am just curious what you all think the upgrades/changes should be. 373 gearing too high? The specs say that it is about 6" wider than a Rubicon but a foot or so longer. I guess the overhang behind and in front of the axles ends up being an issue.

What's the advantage to going to 8 lug? Or is it that I get 8 lugs if I upgrade to the 14 bolt?

I'm not looking at going completely nuts but for example I want to be able to make the run up over Elephant Hill and down around and up Bobby's Hole. We were there last weekend and a stock Blazer would go over Elephant Hill ok, but I think it would have trouble going up Bobby's Hole in the condition it was in last weekend.

Just want to be able to go down and run some of the trails around Moab in relative comfort... that's sort of my idea.

sled_guy

thenag

a full floater 14 bolt rear is a really easy swap for the rear and damn near indestructible. They are pretty cheap and Detroit lockers are only $400-500 for them. That will force you to use 8 lug wheels, to swap the front to 8 lug you can swap the outers from a 3/4 ton dana 44. Swapping in a front d-60 would be ideal but you usually pay about $1000.00 for a front dana 60.

When your t-case gives you issues install a np 203/205 doubler. (google it if you don't know what I am talking about) other than being 200lbs it is awesome.

With a full size full bodied rig you will probably damage your sheet metal on trails.

I had a 87 bronco with a EFI 460 a old 4spd, a 203/205 doubler, a dana 60 and a gm 14 bolt. I ran 37's. It was 6500lbs on the trail leaf sprung front and rear. It went 75 mph nicely we had a/c. I tore it down for a few reasons; the body was coming apart, I wanted to have something a tad lighter on the trail, and we had a really nice xj we wanted to build.

nathan
-99 xj
build thread
http://rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=83436

2INSANE

Axle upgrades first, then suspension, then rims/tires. I think a 14 bolt locked ff rear, Dana 44 or 60 front locked, 4"-5 1/2" suspention lift with 17"rims and 35"-37" a/t or m/t tires. Pending ur budget.

www.diy4x.com is a good start and cheap with quality parts. I have a 14 bolt ff rear axle if ur interested and a few other parts. 801-528-2949

LT.

First I think you found a good find. When it comes to trucks and ease of parts/aftermarket support only the jeep has more available. First I would try and get to know your new rig. Drive it as a daily driver before you get too involved with modifications. This will give you a good idea about just how solid the truck is and what (if anything) needs to be replaced. Next seriously look into some new axles. 10 bolts and big blocks do not go well together. Most have suggested a 14 bolt rear and I cannot argue that point. Cheap, plentiful, and easy to find are the reasons. Add to that they are bomb proof and simple as heck. Next, I would suggest you take it out and see what you are comfortable with. Who knows, the truck may take you places you did not think it could. You may also find that the truck will go places you don't feel comfortable with. I have found through the build ups of my rig that the truck sometimes was more capable that I was. Funny but, that is still the case now. The hardest part of any build is deciding what you want out of the truck and then sticking to it.

LT.

cheepin

I wonder what was done to get the 454 to run correctly?It wouldn't be stock and the 350 and 454s run a different chip.And TBI injectors.The 350 uses a knock sensor the 454 never has.Just curious.

sled_guy

cheepin, the entire 454 injection setup along with computer and sensors was swapped in. A wrecked donnor 1 ton truck was used for all the big block parts.

sled_guy