89 XJ radiator...convert to 91+

trpl xj

you need the radiator, a new control valve, a new overflow bottle, and some new hose. It's a pretty simple mod, I did mine in about a hour or so. Check on JU or NAXJA there are a few right ups on how to do it, one of them even has the dealer part numbers for the control valve, and overflow bottle.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Yeah, I am buying a nice 3 row through work (Mepco) for a 91+ XJ, so i am going to convert this system. I remember how bad the cooling was on my 90, so I don't want to deal with that again. I just couldn't remember what was needed to do this.

Joe, whats the coolant catch tank for anyway? I don't remember seeing that before on what i had read.

Brett

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I actually just switched the radiators and kept the closed system with the late model radiator. It has been that way for 2 years without a problem. Except for an unrelated crack in the overflow bottle.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by rckcrlr
I actually just switched the radiators and kept the closed system with the late model radiator. It has been that way for 2 years without a problem. Except for an unrelated crack in the overflow bottle.

You didn't change anything other than the radiator?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Yep,

But really whats the dif? Radiator is a radiator. Just now I can take the cap off and check the level, dont have to trust the bottle. Stock radiator was a single core/plastic tank, this one is a 3 core/metal tank. Has not heated up since I put it in. Probably will change the valve one day, just has not been an issue yet.