9/11

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I just read an article about firefighters on 9/11... damn. It seems like just yesterday that I was asleep in my dorm room at the U when the phone rang and my friend Scott just said, "They've attacked the Pentagon." I quite literally fell out of bed, turned on the TV just in time to watch the second tower collapse. Surreal.
I'll never forget how I felt that day or the weeks afterwards. I'm still angry and sad when I think about that morning.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Today is "Patriots Day" and not the "kneeling at the national anthem" type (that type can go pound sand). I am flying my flag today in remembrance to 911.

That morning I was on active duty, the commander of a crew working an early warning radar system. It was an exciting day. We were the overnight crew and on duty as events unfolded. We were busy.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My flag is up! I was healing from surgery so I was already watching tv when it broke. I miss the way the country solidified for a while afterwards.

I have to wonder.. did the country really unify, or did we just collectively hate the some people for a little while?

1599846062154.png

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I agree that I saw a country that unified after 9/11. How does hate crime towards muslims work into the equation of a country coming together? If you are suggesting that the unification was just to hate the Muslim religion, I would say that is a reach. I think these crime statistics ares just one inevitable result when terrorist attacks are committed in the name of a certain religion.

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
I too remember that day vividly. So many emotions and thoughts. I am, and always will be flying my flag in remembrance of that day and the lives lost by so many. Thanks to all those who were serving then, and who picked up the torch after. As a firefighter it’s especially poignant to me and still chokes me up almost two decades later. 🇺🇸

As for the unity, I completely agree, and I hate the division that has filled the void as it’s waned. Does anyone remember the commercial right after 9/11 that showed an American neighborhood with the words “The terrorists hoped that by attacking the US they would change the face of America”. Then it faded and the same image reappeared, except every home had a flag out, then the words “They did” appear. It was a powerful one.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I too remember that day vividly. So many emotions and thoughts. I am, and always will be flying my flag in remembrance of that day and the lives lost by so many. Thanks to all those who were serving then, and who picked up the torch after. As a firefighter it’s especially poignant to me and still chokes me up almost two decades later. 🇺🇸

As for the unity, I completely agree, and I hate the division that has filled the void as it’s waned. Does anyone remember the commercial right after 9/11 that showed an American neighborhood with the words “The terrorists hoped that by attacking the US they would change the face of America”. Then it faded and the same image reappeared, except every home had a flag out, then the words “They did” appear. It was a powerful one.

I worked with a retired battalion chief at the time (Bob Haney---awesome dude). He knew before 10am MST there would be a lot of responder lives lost in NY

ID Bronco

I have to wonder.. did the country really unify, or did we just collectively hate the some people for a little while?

View attachment 130784

I certainly didn't and don't think of it this way at all. I didn't perform any hate crimes before, or after this event happened. But it did make me angry against terrorists. It is unfortunate for all the other Muslims that these evil terrorists hid behind the religion. I also think there is another issue/argument to be made that "hate crimes" are ridiculous. I've never committed a crime against someone I didn't hate. Who decides what constitutes a "hate crime"? The same clowns that think looters and rioters are peaceful protesters. That alone makes it suspect. If someone murders someone, they committed murder regardless of the motivation behind it. The punishment should be the same. In my opinion. There's a can of worms.