Toyota '90 toyota pickup build

UVRUGBY

Sense I haven't updated my build for a min I figured I would post up this pick of my lift components.
IMAG0462.jpg

1.5" bj spacers, procomp aal, procomp es3000 shocks.

sixstringsteve

The only thing I have to add is you won't want 4.88s with 32-33s with the enging you're planning on putting in it. I'd think the stock 4.10s would be fine behind that motor. Also, articulation is overrated. My IFS rig will go 98% of the places my old solid axle rigs would go. I think you've made a good decision sticking with the IFS.

UVRUGBY

Thanks, I was thinking about the motor swap and gearing yesterday on my ride to work. So I am thinking I may just hold off on gearing till I know what is up, that will save me some money. Right now I'm getting decent mpg for what the truck is. The articulation thing was about the rear end, and the ifs is excellent in toyotas, just need to get on getting a long travel system engineered.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I had a 94 with the 3.0 running 33's, most of the time I couldn't use 5th gear on the freeway. I think 4.88's would be over kill if you had any intention on driving this around town a lot. 4.10's were rough but not horrible. In an ideal world I think 4.56 would be great with the 3.0 and 33's, but thats going to cost some coin for a rig that might be evolving past that stage in a relatively short amount of time. If you don't plan on doing a super large amount of wheeling in this stage, and more driving around and dirt roads I would consider the slightly smaller tire to maintain your drivability without having to drop a pile of cash.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Woops I didn't see you already bought the tires, I would stick with what gears you have until the rig evolves more. See how it works before you drop the cash, just hope your clutch holds out

UVRUGBY

if your looking to build some longer control arms for long travel ifs buy t100 cv axles, and lengthen or buy longer control arms. you will gain 4 inches total by doing this. best thing to do is this tho.
http://www.chaosfab.com/86-95-4WD-Pickup-4Runner-T100-Long-Travel-Suspension-Kit-95200.html

I have looked into total chaos long travel, but im not looking to drop $4k into longer UCA and LCA. They are excellent yes, But I could go with Blazeland LT kit and gain 3 inches of travel for $1k. For what I am going to be doing, total chaos is far to much suspension and money for the truck. I'm not looking to jump the truck, or desert run. I am going to be doing more fire trail stuff, and not at high speeds.
But, like spartacus brought up I could build and design my own UCA and LCA for cheaper and then just get a uniball from total chaos. The t100 CV's are my plan to install with the LT when I get to that point.

Last edited:

UVRUGBY

I had a 94 with the 3.0 running 33's, most of the time I couldn't use 5th gear on the freeway. I think 4.88's would be over kill if you had any intention on driving this around town a lot. 4.10's were rough but not horrible. In an ideal world I think 4.56 would be great with the 3.0 and 33's, but thats going to cost some coin for a rig that might be evolving past that stage in a relatively short amount of time. If you don't plan on doing a super large amount of wheeling in this stage, and more driving around and dirt roads I would consider the slightly smaller tire to maintain your drivability without having to drop a pile of cash.

Like steve stated above, and kinda threw it out there. I am planning on doing a 1uzfe swap, so I am going to wait to gear it to see how the stronger more powerful engine does with the larger tires and how accurate the speedo is at that point, and how it does up the hills. But, if I was to stay with the 3vze then I would most likely go with your word on the 4.56's. Im pretty confident in my clutch right now. I haven't had any problems with the clutch ever sense the first time taking it over the point with the 33's. So I am believe in the little engine :D

UVRUGBY

Some progress!!! Thank you Steve for lending me a hand and the tools to get the AAL done on the PU today. Didn't get very many photos, I am terrible at remembering to get photos while working on vehicles. I am more focused on getting the project done, but it was an enjoyable time!
after getting the wheels off, and getting the back end jacked up.
IMAG0512.jpg

Unbolt the Ubolts, then unbolt the shocks and take the shocks off.
Clamp the leaf pack down and jack the leafs up, not the diff, undo the ebrake and drop the diff to the ground so the bolt will clear the AAL and leaf pack
IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

pick of the leaf and bolt on, will need to re align the bolt to the diff then jack the diff back up and align the center leaf bolt with the diff and it should drop into place. Then repeat for the other side.
I will get picks of the shocks tomorrow. Things I noticed with the AAL, it does ride rougher, but that is ok.

To get the shocks on to the stock shock locations I had to apply a little wd40 to them, a hammer, then inserted the bolts back on.

and a bad finished photo.
IMAG0515.jpg

Last edited:

UVRUGBY

got a bit, I think because of the sag in the rear I didn't get as much as I could have. So I might be looking into getting fj80 springs for a ZUK mod to get it up a bit more till I get to the 63" chevy swap.

UVRUGBY

That is the point of the zuk mod, get the fj80 coils and place them over the bump stomps in the rear to counter the flat lay of the leafs.