95 jeep yj 2.5 to 5.3 LS3 swap

Mkgjr

I have 95 jeep yj with 2.5 and going to replace 2.5 with a 5.3 Ls3. I have everything except the vehicle it was in The transmission is 4l60e can I use any floor shifter because I have a 5 speed now also will my drive shafts need modified Any information will be greatly appreciated

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
On my LS swap I used a B&M shifter. I was able to use my rear driveline as it was but had to shorten the front shaft a little bit.

Mkgjr

On my LS swap I used a B&M shifter. I was able to use my rear driveline as it was but had to shorten the front shaft a little bit.
Ok thank you for the info.
I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he has done the same swap several times and he said to keep transfer case and get an adapter from Novak Also the computer with the 5.3 he can take all the unnecessary stuff out and turn it up for more power is that true ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Yes they can alter the ECM programming to do what you need. My Jeep is a vintage unit and that makes it easier. I changed the transfer case from a Dana 300 to an Atlas.

Mkgjr

Yes they can alter the ECM programming to do what you need. My Jeep is a vintage unit and that makes it easier. I changed the transfer case from a Dana 300 to an Atlas.
Thank you for the information
I'm new on here and not sure if I'm posting in the right spot for the questions I'm asking If not someone let me know please
I'm going to use advance adapters motor mounts part #713088 and printed off Novak's motor conversion instructions I'm thinking it should be pretty simple swap
I also have the adapter 4l60e to my stock transfer case
My stock fuel pump and dual fuel lines should work only issue I might have is my front drive shaft

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
If you have a Dana 35 rear axle and want to run bigger tires the LS may make it explode. Also the fuel pump might be ok but check fuel line size so that you can keep up with the demand.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
If you have a Dana 35 rear axle and want to run bigger tires the LS may make it explode. Also the fuel pump might be ok but check fuel line size so that you can keep up with the demand.
I was thinking the same thing. LS engines are awesome but they will point out the weak links in your drivetrain.

Second funny thing, a little advice, what ever you think your budget for this swap is, double it. So when it costs a little more than that you won't feel too bad. ;) (Seriously)

This will be awesome when it is done, but there will be a million things that cost a little bit more that will double your project budget...

@glockman just did a swap and documented it pretty well if you would like to do some research.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Second funny thing, a little advice, what ever you think your budget for this swap is, double it. So when it costs a little more than that you won't feel too bad. ;) (Seriously)

This will be awesome when it is done, but there will be a million things that cost a little bit more that will double your project budget...

[
I agree on the budget, I did a spread sheet of costs before I started and I forgot tons of little things. Of course I added a few "big" things that bumped the price up.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I agree on the budget, I did a spread sheet of costs before I started and I forgot tons of little things. Of course I added a few "big" things that bumped the price up.
There is always the "while we are here" additions to any project. Jeeps, houses, yards, etc. While we are here and have things torn down this far we might was well... :rofl:

1tonblazer

Big Ugly Blazer Pilot
I have 95 jeep yj with 2.5 and going to replace 2.5 with a 5.3 Ls3. I have everything except the vehicle it was in The transmission is 4l60e can I use any floor shifter because I have a 5 speed now also will my drive shafts need modified Any information will be greatly appreciated
I used a Lokar 700R4/4L60E shifter in my 2000 Tacoma project (aka Toylet). I have a 4L80E in so I had to modify the brackets but I bet it would work good on your project.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The link to my TJ LS swap is in my signature. The engine, radiator and trans are the cheapest parts of the swap, seriously.
I used a chevy np241 to eliminate the need for a Novak or Advanced adapter from the GM trans to the Jeep T case. Not sure it was worth it, but it was cheap.
I used a Lokar shifter but I'm holding on to my TJ shifter and may end up cutting different gates in it to get 2 and 1 in the 4l60 and a more stock center console.
What gauges are you going to run? If you end up buying aftermarket gauges, the Holley Terminator system starts to make more sense. It is a stand alone harness that replaces the harness on your engine and feeds a tough screen gauge panel that can also be used to tune. They are ~$1400 but save you tuning to get rid of VATS, wire harness mods and gauges. Plus they are all plug and play.
If you haven't, join LS Swapped Wranglers on FB. TONS of info there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

RockChucker

The link to my TJ LS swap is in my signature. The engine, radiator and trans are the cheapest parts of the swap, seriously.
I used a chevy np241 to eliminate the need for a Novak or Advanced adapter from the GM trans to the Jeep T case. Not sure it was worth it, but it was cheap.
I used a Lokar shifter but I'm holding on to my TJ shifter and may end up cutting different gates in it to get 2 and 1 in the 4l60 and a more stock center console.
What gauges are you going to run? If you end up buying aftermarket gauges, the Holley Terminator system starts to make more sense. It is a stand alone harness that replaces the harness on your engine and feeds a tough screen gauge panel that can also be used to tune. They are ~$1400 but save you tuning to get rid of VATS, wire harness mods and gauges. Plus they are all plug and play.
If you haven't, join LS Swapped Wranglers on FB. TONS of info there.

Let me know if you have any questions.
However....those holley systems are not emissions compliant. Probably not a huge issue in a YJ, but in a newer OBD2 vehicle that is a concern if you need to maintain emissions.