'96 Runner Build

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Yah, I was a little bummed that I didn't make but it is was it is. All kidding aside Kevin did a great job spotting. I just wasn't equipped. Maybe 35's and a little more clearance but who's to say.

sixstringsteve

This is one of those spots where a solid front axle will really help you. Not sure 35's will make a huge difference. I've only seen one rig on 33's make it before (ricsrx), and he's made it every time I've been there with him (at least 5-6 times now). But his driving skills make up for any lack of tire height.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
After my trip to Moab last weekend it looks like my next wheelin trip will be with the SAS!! I am going to start pulling the IFS apart tonight. I just need to leave it to the point I can still roll it onto the trailer to haul to Brigham City to do the rest on the lift.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Broke stuff. I was fine with the IFS. I didn't love it but didn't hate it. I have always planned on a SAS just been waiting for the right time to do it. I really only broke a CV axle but looking underneath I noticed it is just wearing out I know one of my tie rods is on its last leg, ball joints loose, really its starting to be kind of a safety risk.

I have the axle and steering box. I also have the leaf springs It is just going to take time. I also broke a bunch of teeth off of my rear ring gear. enough that I had to be dragged out of the Golden crack, I bypassed the staircase and got dragged the entire Gold Bar Rim. So with needing to replace the rear R&P I might as well gear down and finally do the SAS.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
While in Moab it finally happened. I destroyed my front end, and my rear end. So it is time for my SAS!!!

I started to tinker around with it in my garage before I hauled it to my dads shop.

20130125055241.jpg

20130125134539.jpg

and Started collecting parts

20130112191244.jpg

20130118173408.jpg

20130118173533.jpg

20130118175330.jpg

dsc19217.jpg

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Hauled it up to my dads garage and started to cut!!

20130301153101.jpg

dsc19215.jpg

20130302161608.jpg

dsc19211.jpg

There are some good things and bad things about using my dads shop rather than my one garage.

1st its not in my way while we under go the project.
2nd he has a lot more tools and supplies than I do.
3rd we can make a mess of his shop not my new garage.

the only bad thing is it is 2 hrs away. So I can't work on it every night.

I will be heading up there this weekend and will post a progress report next week.

Tenuki

Quick diversion - you said in one of your first posts that you had done the deck plate mod and intake silencer mod - Did you notice any differences? Better gas mileage? Is it worth the trouble? Thanks!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Quick diversion - you said in one of your first posts that you had done the deck plate mod and intake silencer mod - Did you notice any differences? Better gas mileage? Is it worth the trouble? Thanks!

IMHO it is worth the trouble. I didn't. Notice a big change in mpg but I went with bigger tires at the same time. I did notice better throttle response, and it seemed like more horse power. Although it could just be be that it sounds like more horse power. With the deck plate if you have it open it does make a difference, however I plan to modify it so that I'm actually getting cold outside air. Rather than just more hot engine compartment air. That being said I am happy with the mods and they are cheap and easy.