Wanted '97 -'01 Jeep Cherokee w/ manual

Greg

Are you not entertained?!
Admin
I'm looking for a super clean XJ, 1997 to 2001 with a manual trans. Prefer white, silver or any lighter color. Not interested in black, dark blue, etc.

Hoping to find one that's been taken care of, that is in pretty stock shape, not beatup and it must have a manual trans. I'm willing to spend up to $5k for the right one.

Any leads?

Greg

Admin
What you up to now?

- DAA
Looking for a vehicle to swap the VW TDI into, have a 4WD daily driver that gets 35+ MPG.

Had another job change, going to be putting a lot of miles on a vehicle. My GMC 3/4 ton gets 13-14 MPG and the while the Gladiator does better, I don't want to put the miles on it. I'll likely sell the GMC soon and could drive the Cherokee until I have all the parts gathered for the swap. I don't expect it to be a quick swap, but it sure would be nice if it were done in a month or so. :eek:

Greg

Admin
Does it need to be a manual for the swap or is that just a requirement for you? You are welcome to swap one into my XJ (auto) as a test run and I will let you know how it drives.
It's a requirement for me, a manual will get better mileage and that's the priority here. I did look at swapping a manual transmission into a auto XJ, but there is a LOT more work added.... more than just swapping the trans. Need different driveshafts, crossmember, ECU & wiring changes, etc. It would just be easier to start with a manual XJ.

No need to do a test run, as it's already been done and proven successful.... :p

Saw a few on ksl with a quick search with a manual transmission.
Yeah, I looked.... currently 3 showing up, one is sold, the other one has been wrecked and has body/"frame" damage and the last one has 6" of lift and 33's. The last one with the lift is the only one I'd consider, but I'd take it back to stock. And really don't want one that someone has already modified. I'd much rather find a totally stock, clean one and start there.

Greg

Admin
Looks like you have to run 3" of lift to fit the TDI... :( That's too bad.

Diesel_Zuk

Looks like you have to run 3" of lift to fit the TDI... :( That's too bad.
What engine are you going to be swapping in? 96-98 Jetta/Passat AHU and 1Z have steel oil pans with rear sumps, and the oil pan can be modified quite a bit. If the engine is a 98+ it'll have the aluminum pan, with front chain drive sump, and you can't really do much there to shorten the pan.

Diesel_Zuk

Nope.... 300 ft/lbs is more than the 4.0 makes and it seems to do fine.

Injectors, a slightly larger turbo and a tune will get it there.
You'll like it. If you're on fakebook, look up TDI Swapped Trucks. There's several TDI XJ's on there. So far, everybody I've seen that has done it, has absolutely loved it, and not once regretted doing the swap.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'd love to stick my alh motor in a Cherokee, bound to be easier to work on than in my beetle. ;)

Greg

Admin
What engine are you going to be swapping in? 96-98 Jetta/Passat AHU and 1Z have steel oil pans with rear sumps, and the oil pan can be modified quite a bit. If the engine is a 98+ it'll have the aluminum pan, with front chain drive sump, and you can't really do much there to shorten the pan.
I have an ALH, so aluminum pan.... can't do much about it.

You'll like it. If you're on fakebook, look up TDI Swapped Trucks. There's several TDI XJ's on there. So far, everybody I've seen that has done it, has absolutely loved it, and not once regretted doing the swap.
Yep, been on there for awhile, posted up a few times and had some great discussions.

I'd love to stick my alh motor in a Cherokee, bound to be easier to work on than in my beetle. ;)
:rofl: I hear ya there!

Honestly, as much as I'd love to do this, I don't know that the cost, time & effort is worth it in the end.