'97 tacoma build: Abner

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If you are looking for a good, comfortable front end lift (if you're not carrying extra weight like a winch/bumper) I would also suggest looking at a tundra spring on a factory Bilstein or OME shock...

I'm not a fan of the Tundra coils for a couple reason, as noted they are too soft (imo) for additional weight on the front of Tacomas, however more importantly the coil can contact the bucket on full droop producing a major 'thunk' as you bomb down rough roads. Oddly enough 4Runners don't have the interference issue while utilizing near identical suspension components (albeit totally different frames). I ran them on my truck for 6 months, the OME Nitrocharger Sport struts were just about to hit the market and I had one of the first sets of 90004's headed my way so I swapped them out and ditched the Bil/Tundra coils and went back to OME 882's w/top out spacers and pre-load spacers. Its pretty dialed in now, in fact I have zero complaints with the exception of lower control arm issues (cracking welds which is common on heavily used 1G Tacomas). If you have zero from load and particularly with lighter 4 cylinder I guess it would be worth a try but unless you score a respectable deal on the Tundra coils I don't know that I would ever recommend or try it again.

sixstringsteve

BTW, where do you get your diffs regeared?

I usually buy my gears and bearings from RME vendors (cruiseroutfitters or lowrangeoffroad), and I have Kevin @ six states in Orem install them. He's always been more than fair with me, and he does a great job. Apparently he screwed up the gears on Sean's (lowrange) tacoma, but I still trust him to do mine. Carl (iLean) does gear installs, as does Skippy. They'd be my backup guys.

Last edited:

4biker

I'm not a fan of the Tundra coils for a couple reason, as noted they are too soft (imo) for additional weight on the front of Tacomas, however more importantly the coil can contact the bucket on full droop producing a major 'thunk' as you bomb down rough roads. Oddly enough 4Runners don't have the interference issue while utilizing near identical suspension components (albeit totally different frames). I ran them on my truck for 6 months, the OME Nitrocharger Sport struts were just about to hit the market and I had one of the first sets of 90004's headed my way so I swapped them out and ditched the Bil/Tundra coils and went back to OME 882's w/top out spacers and pre-load spacers. Its pretty dialed in now, in fact I have zero complaints with the exception of lower control arm issues (cracking welds which is common on heavily used 1G Tacomas). If you have zero from load and particularly with lighter 4 cylinder I guess it would be worth a try but unless you score a respectable deal on the Tundra coils I don't know that I would ever recommend or try it again.

Hmm. That must be why mostly 4Runner guys use that setup. When I got my bumper/winch installed, I was going to switch over to Tundra coils on my OME's, but picked up my SAW's instead. It's good to hear someone who's tried it - of course you've probably tried everything!
Thanks for the info

sixstringsteve

I just picked up my OME lift from Kurt @ cruiseroutfitters. I went with the light duty front coils (880), with the medium leaf pack in the back with the nitro sport shocks. I'll eventually do a u-bolt flip kit, but for now I'm just going to run the ubolts in the stock config.

We measured Kurt's truck, and the spring mounting holes are 53" from center to center. So I'll relocate my rear shackle hanger to match that.

Thanks for all the help Kurt. I'll get it installed in the next week, along with the UCAs. I'm tempted to throw the rear springs in tonight...

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm planning a trip to Hole in the Rock for the end of March, so I've got a deadline to motivate me to get this done. The tubbing will take the most time, but I think I can meet that goal if I'm dilligent in my build.