'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

RTTs are heavy on top, though, with increased wind noise and resistance. I think he needs to grab himself a 3rd gen 4Runner with the same powertrain as his truck, swap his doubler stuff and the Helton and everything else over, and then sell the Taco or part out what's left in order to fund a nice little offroad trailer and put the RTT on that.

It's really tough to find 2.7 4runners. As far as the rtt, I dont see myself with a rtt in the future. $1500 buys you the best ground tent there is and I don't mind ground tents. Plus I should be able to sleep inside whatever rig I get next. But, like I said, its tough to sell a built rig right now. I can't talk about what I'd get next until it 's sold.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The only thing I don't love is that it's not a 4Runner!!!. I will be using this thread as a guide for my 4Runner build.

I'm more of a tacoma man myself, but the 4 doors of a runner are quite nice. It's a lot tougher to fit 35's on a runner than it is on a tacoma. I think it's doable, but the rear fenderwells could be a problem.

sixstringsteve

I think he needs to grab himself a 3rd gen 4Runner with the same powertrain as his truck, swap his doubler stuff and the Helton and everything else over, and then sell the Taco or part out what's left in order to fund a nice little offroad trailer and put the RTT on that.

Not a bad idea Kevin. I'm looking into getting a 3rd gen 4runner and swapping my parts over (except for the doubler, since I won't need it with an automatic). hm...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Not a bad idea Kevin. I'm looking into getting a 3rd gen 4runner and swapping my parts over (except for the doubler, since I won't need it with an automatic). hm...

The 4Runner is probably a chunk heavier than the Taco, you might actually want that 5VZE. But you can go a lot of places with a factory rear locker, LC coils and 33's. It wouldn't be that much less capable than what you've got now, especially if you kept the trans adapter and ran a single 4.7 case. An auto plus extra low gearing has got be a pleasure to wheel.

airmanwilliams

with a bull bar, sliders, skid plates, 35's, tcase gears, exhaust upgrade and a couple other things that would be the perfect rig. heck even without that stuff. That runner is NICE!

sixstringsteve

haha, you crack me up brandon. It is a very nice truck. No such thing as t-case gears on the newer tacomas and 4runners though.

airmanwilliams

haha, you crack me up brandon. It is a very nice truck. No such thing as t-case gears on the newer tacomas and 4runners though.

if anything im good to bring up a laugh. I dont know anything about any 4x4's. Im more into the rice stuff and little gadget add ons, none of this mechanical stuff. :chris:

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'm comparing that 4runner to the '99 that I sold a few years back... Similar mileage, auto, 3.4, OME, Highlander Package (e-locker, hood scoop), and it went in the $4k range.

sixstringsteve

good info, that gives me perspective. I think the hood scoop and the black color will make it more desirable, but neither of those are important to me.

maybe I'll just wait for the right runner to swap everything over to.