'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

Build thread: "Abner" - 97 tacoma

This little truck is a warrior. Spork has taken it on a ton of trails as is, and it does really really well. His family outgrew it, and I picked it up for a great price. Thanks Spork! I chose the name "Abner" which means "army commander" in Hebrew. The name fits the truck. Anyway, here she is. 1997 reg cab base model (it doesn't even have a clock or a tach). 2.7L 5 speed. 170k on the clock, and I'm sure it'll do another 170k more. It's all stock except for 31's and sliders. This is a non-trd model, so it does not have a locker.

Plans: I'm sure I want to keep it IFS. One day I want 35's and an OME lift, and the next day I want to keep it stock and throw in an aussie locker. Who knows where it'll end up. I really enjoy driving it around, it's a fun little car.

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

First order of business is usually to install sliders. Since I've already got those, it's on to the second order of business: CB install.

I've used small fuse blocks from AutoZone in the past, but I wanted to try something new for this build. I picked this 12-fuse box up from Low Range Offroad.

12_fuse_block.jpg

It really only fit well in one place: on top of the stock fuse box. It was close to the battery, and out of the way of everything.

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

Cascadia

Undecided
Looks and sounds like it'll be fun. Looking forward to the build and changes you will make. And the hundreds of pages to read. Good luck Steve!

sixstringsteve

mounted on top of the stock fuse box:

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

fuse block installed:

IMG_2052.JPG

The uniden Pro 520xl is the perfect width for a toyota ash tray. Remove the ash tray and velcro it to the top of the hole where the ash tray was. I had to trim the back of the cutout with a dremel to allow the cb to fit in there. On a tacoma, the 520xl is a little too long to fit perfectly flush, but it's close enough. I had to put an L-adapter on the CB antenna cable to make it fit.

IMG_2057.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

i'd stick with 33s it would be more dependable

yes it would, but it has 3.55's in the diff right now. The 31's are a bit much for those gears. So if I go any bigger than 31's, I'm going to have to re-gear anyway. And if I re-gear, I might as well gear it for 35's. Maybe I'll go with some narrow 35s.s

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Thanks Scott. I know it's tough to watch someone else modify your old rig. Sorry!

It's all good, I picked up a trooper and I've been busy making it mine. Changed all the fluids on it today and I found some nasty diff fluid in the rear so hopefully it's fine and won't cause me issues down the road. The trooper strangely reminds me of a Samurai I used to own, maybe it's the boxy shape or some of the Japanese engineering but it's been refreshing to get my hands on something else.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
It's all good, I picked up a trooper and I've been busy making it mine. Changed all the fluids on it today and I found some nasty diff fluid in the rear so hopefully it's fine and won't cause me issues down the road. The trooper strangely reminds me of a Samurai I used to own, maybe it's the boxy shape or some of the Japanese engineering but it's been refreshing to get my hands on something else.

Everyone seems to be picking up Troopers these days. :cool:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
What do you think about putting some silicone on/in the mounting bolt holes for your new fuse block to keep water out of the stock fuse box?

sixstringsteve

What do you think about putting some silicone on/in the mounting bolt holes for your new fuse block to keep water out of the stock fuse box?

That's an excellent idea, thanks for mentioning it. Even though I don't expect there to be much water under the hood, I'm going to do that as a precaution. I only wish the aftermarket box were water-tight, but there's nothing important in there, so it'll be ok.

sixstringsteve

That's a good looking fuse box, Steve, what'd it run you?

Thanks. Since prices change, I'm going to post up the link to Low Range's site, where they'll keep their prices updated.

Here's a link to the 6-circuit fuse box:
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/inde...k-with-cover-6-circuit-with-negative-bus.html

and the 12-circuit fuse box:
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/inde...-with-cover-12-circuit-with-negative-bus.html

6 circuit should be plenty for any human, but I figured it was worth the $10 for the 12 circuit model. I suffer from "might as well" disease like so many others on here.