'99 CTD Starter issues?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Hey Guys,
I only seem to drive my truck when I am towing something so lately it hasn't been a lot. Its a '99 CTD 5 speed with 144K on it.

Anyways, since going out to the Trail Clean Up at 5 mile last weekend, it has been clicking when I turn the key, just one loud click.

At first, I was thinking it was the batteries were giving me fits, but now I am wondering if it is the starter itself.

After 3-4 tries and clicks it turns right over.

Needless to say when I need this truck I need it to work, so I want to nip this in the butt.

Anyone have similar problems? I am guessing new starter or maybe something else? Replace contacts?

Thanks in advance!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Sounds like either dirty contacts/cable connections, or a bad starter solenoid to me. It may be worth Pulling your battery cables off and cleaning them up (that one's free to try...) If Jeeper's hammer on the starter trick works, it's probably the solenoid. I think you have to replace the whole starter assy there, as the solenoid/starter motor are integrated.

Since you do get the "click" I wouldn't think it'd be the ignition switch, but I am wrong often ;).

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Only say the ignition switch because I've had two do it, and two friends I know have had the same problem. Mine would still click, all the gauges would shutoff like they do on a normal start. The section on my ignition switch that I guess engages the starter broke off. It started by, taking a few times to cycle the key, before having the complete failure on the cylinder where the tab broke off.

Certainly check the free easy items first, clean cables and what not. But if it continues to puzzle I'd look at your ignition switch

Found a picture of

cf1a61890c99a89b620fb095efc58b27.jpg

Last edited:
It could be any one of the components, even just a cable. Get a test light or meter out and see what it is doing when you hit the starter. If you suspect the starter, start by checking voltage there when you get a click.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I had a ‘99 CTD back in ‘04 and I remember this was a problem. I put some aftermarket contacts on the starter- don’t remember where from but I do remember it was a thing.

kts532

My 01 did the same thing and it was the contacts in the starter solenoid. The center contact was fine, It did not even have any spots on it. The contacts were burnt half way thru. I went to a rebuilder and got 4 of the contacts and put them in. Put the other two in the console for when someone needs them on the trail.