A custom axle for Anthony's TJ

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So what's the plan? Are you going to do offset taper ball joint inserts like on old XJ knuckles?
No, we'll put the JK knuckles back in there when we are done prepping all the parts. One of the JK hubs has a shaft seized in it and they both need to be redrilled to the TJ pattern.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It's been a year since we made progress on this axle. 😲 Yesterday we nearly completed it.

We decided that if we're gonna convert JK hubs to TJ pattern, we might as well get a new set of JK hubs to ruin.

The first step is to buy some new hubs for a JK. Then you cut that brand new speed sensor off. We don't need the speed sensor, but we do need something to plug the hole in the hub for that speed sensor.
76F4BD4C-9244-4118-BB07-852A50DBABAF.jpeg

Then we bolted on a hole pattern drill thingy made for us by Carl

D87244B9-39FB-4895-BC0A-C8EB5D9CA924.jpeg

Then we built a jig to hold these suckers in place on my drill table. You'll note that I did not say mill. This is Hickeybilt Fabricobblecations, not some fancy place with good tooling and shit.

50C885EA-7CA6-4D83-976A-FC15EB1EA319.jpeg

No pics of said jig. It was adequate for our needs and no one was injured other than mildly bruised and burnt hands. I don't need to incriminate myself more than that.

We drilled pilot holes in both hubs, then removed the pattern plate and started drilling and drilling. We slowly increased the size of the drill bit until each hole was the correct size for the studs. Most of the drill bits were even sharp. A few were straight, too.

CE6CF84D-2D2D-4930-A5DA-98C4C8655842.jpeg

After pressing the studs in we felt pretty awesome. I don't have a press. We also drilled the JK rotors for TJ pattern and cleaned up the parts and piles of shavings before pulling the TJ in the garage to swap out the Camber-Boi WJ parts.

D384A9C8-1519-4B34-B09E-4C1CACB913DE.jpeg

We started slapping the parts in and ran into a snag. The new long side shaft is 1/2" too long. We buttoned everything back up with all the new parts except that long side shaft and pulled the TJ out of the garage at midnight. It is frustrating to be so close to finished, but all it needs now is that shaft shortened and the locker wired up to be done.

6C15DBDF-7987-4D05-8907-CE8F73AB500C.jpeg70A2F436-3337-4F5F-B69E-21C48F0F1AF8.jpeg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Any reason you didn't shorten that shaft? Or does the seal surface need to move also?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any reason you didn't shorten that shaft? Or does the seal surface need to move also?
Seal surface needs to move and the splines aren't cut long enough to just lop off a half inch. I may have tried to extend the splines with a cut off wheel if it weren't for the seal surface.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This axle has been in for a year now with zero issues. With Anthony's history, that's quite a miracle. 😂 He's been driving it quite often since getting into a house of his own. He's also been wheeling it.

I wish Teraflex would offer this housing for TJ's, or at least offer it as a bare housing without the brackets. It's a substantial upgrade for a TJ without the need to change wheels when buying a significantly more expensive Dana 60.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This axle has been in for a year now with zero issues. With Anthony's history, that's quite a miracle. 😂 He's been driving it quite often since getting into a house of his own. He's also been wheeling it.

I wish Teraflex would offer this housing for TJ's, or at least offer it as a bare housing without the brackets. It's a substantial upgrade for a TJ without the need to change wheels when buying a significantly more expensive Dana 60.
I've been told you can order JK 44's cut to TJ width from Teraflex. If I can keep mine running for more than 100 miles at a time, I might find out.