Other Region A Destination Between Salt Lake & Missoula

Homefryy

In late July my wife is going to be driving up to Montana to go to Glacier National Park for a week long girls trip. Their last day will be in Missoula and then she will be driving back. I am planning to meet her somewhere along the way back and spend a weekend camping and exploring.

I'm looking for suggestions on good places to explore. We have been in Utah for 3.5 years and have always headed south for adventure. We haven't really been north of Ogden...

We already have a trip to Yellowstone planned for another weekend so don't want to go there on this one. Right now we are thinking the Tetons mostly because we don't know of much else. Looking for other suggestions or suggestions on where to head in the Tetons. We prefer out of the way free/non-campground camping where there aren't other people around but its not a requirement.

I may drive my Jeep to meet her or I may take a one way flight to a meeting point. It depends on the destination and the how the cost of gas compares to a plane ticket.

Feed me ideas.

rholbrook

I love Missoula, go there several times a year. I also love to fly fish and you can always fish the Beaver Head, Red Rock and Little Big Horn Rivers around Dillion and Kid, Montana.

You could drive over to West Yellowstone from Dillon on Hwy 41 to Twin Bridges and then over to Virginia City to check out the old mining town thats really cool. From there head to Ennis and then down to Henry's Lake and out via Island Park. Its a beautiful drive.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Missoula for the win. Work your way home down US 93. Just south of Missoula is Lolo, MT. You know those Lewis and Clark dudes? Lolo Pass is where they had their asses handed to them going both ways on their expedition. Lolo Hot springs is one of the few verified campgrounds they actually stopped at. It was a KOA back then though.

Lolo Peak brewery would be my first stop, then maybe stay at Lolo Hot Springs. Next day, drive across Lolo Pass (Lolo Motorway) and then Run Magruder Corridor the next day to get you back on US 93.

If you want more ideas, look into the IDBDR. There is a vimeo video of the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route that you have to pay for, but it will give you a potatoe sack full of ideas and information.