A new DD???

Caleb

Alright guys I am thinking about getting a different daily driver...my 250 is just too much of a gas hog:D(460s tend to do that:D:D:D) so I am leaning towards the darkside(toyota) I think and early 80s(solid axle preferred) 4-runner or ext cab pickup...I would be leaving it mostly stock for now and just using it solely for to and from work...maybe eventualy down the road when my Jeep is built how I want it, I would do a little something with it(thats why I want a Toy;) ) whats your guys opinions or suggestions and do you know anyone with a good deal on one of the above???

Caleb

I'll be selling it...its in a 88 F250 4 speed manual w/OD it only has like 95-96K on the motor(truck)...it runs really good and since I got it running(it wasn't running when I first got it turns out to be the starter solenoid:rolleyes: ) I haven't had a single problem...If you are interested or know someone who would be I think I could make you a good deal on it:D

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
possibly, what kind of mileage does she get? and how much would you want for the just the engine and for both the engine and tcase?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Honestly, I would have to support your idea of a Toy. Mine is totally reliable, even more so than my Jeep which is 5 years newer. If I had to do things over, I think I would have gotten a IFS 4Runner because you start with EFI, can haul people and gear comfortably and a SAS wouldn't be TOO hard to do. I am still playing with the idea of buying a IFS 'Runner as a DD but it would be and stay bone stock. My Truck isn't bad, but its not something that I like to go pick up dates with. Girls just dont think that a huge Toyota with lots of dents, beat interior, peeling paint, and wierd handeling characteristics are COOL. (If you know of a girl that does dig that stuff and is cute & single, send her MY way.)

Also, I want something I can do some Road Trips with, and a Toy w/ 35's and a Detroit isn't ideal. I just have to sell my YJ and I think I'll be lookin for 'Runners. They are kinda pricy though, around $4000 for a 84-89. Mabey a P/U would be better for you? They are usually priced cheaper. I think its a winning idea!

:D :D

Caleb

well I am not real sure on the mileage since I have never kept track but I would guess somewhere between 13-16??? Well wether you buy the front right tire or the whole truck the price would be the same at $2500...I think its a good deal since it books at about $4200 and was offered $3000 from the dealer

I have been considering an IFS for that reason alone EFI and a solid axle swap cant be too hard if I were to upgrade in the future sometime...I have priced runner a little and I got the same as what you stated...but how much do trucks generally run?

Caleb

Just as I post this I notice on POR Wildyoats just posted a truck for sale...I think I am going to look into it...it is a little built but I think it would work for me:D

Caleb

Originally posted by supergper
Just as I post this I notice on POR Wildyoats just posted a truck for sale...I think I am going to look into it...it is a little built but I think it would work for me:D

Also I would be able to wheel that while I am build my Jeep!!!

Greg

Admin
I got mine for $2600, which was a steal for what it had. 5.29's, rear Detroit & Front LS. That was about all the good stuff. The only downfall is that its not EFI, so a swap is in the plans. Usually a clean, EFI, solid axle or IFS truck is around $2500-3000 range. I think that DToy on this BB knew someone in Provo that had a '85 for $2600. I'm not sure if its still around. Just check in the papers and don't be in a rush to buy. Do you want a PU, for sure? I'll keep my eyes open for any 'Deals' and send them your way.

Greg

Admin

Also I would be able to wheel that while I am build my Jeep!!!

Thats too funny! So you want a solid axle rig? I found a '83 for ya, its got a Marlin Crawler double case, Alcan Springs, lockers, MTR's a flatbed and is local. Price is $3000!!!!!!! Not bad?!? It was on the Wild Yoats page. Heres a link-

83 For Sale

How about a Pic? I think the truck is a pretty good deal, if you like the older body style. I dig it!
Cameronsphotos_002.jpg

Caleb

Yep that is the same one that wildyoat posted I already have email the guy about it...I totally dig that truck...I think it would be good for me:D

jp008

Wow you got 15mpg out of your 460? I was getting 5mpg. 1970 F-250, 460 w/C-6, 4" Skyjacker and 38" P.O.S. bias plys. Oh ya 4.56's. I was turning 3500 rpm at 60mph. What a pig. Gawd I miss that thing:(

DToy

Originally posted by Greg
I think that DToy on this BB knew someone in Provo that had a '85 for $2600. I'm not sure if its still around. Just check in the papers and don't be in a rush to buy. Do you want a PU, for sure? I'll keep my eyes open for any 'Deals' and send them your way. [/B]

Yeah, my brother has an '85 Toyota Xtra cab pickup for sale. He's asking $2300. It runs great, but it is carbureted. I'll try to post some pics if you're interested.

I also have an '88 4Runner for sale, was hoping to get around $4000 for it, but I really need some cash so I would probably let it go for around $3200. There's a pic of it in the for sale section.

Supergpr, is your Ford an ext. cab? IF so, I might be interested in a trade.

Last edited:

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
well I am not real sure on the mileage since I have never kept track but I would guess somewhere between 13-16??? Well wether you buy the front right tire or the whole truck the price would be the same at $2500...I think its a good deal since it books at about $4200 and was offered $3000 from the dealer

wow I'm only getting 10 out of my 390! times like these I wish I had a few thousand laying around in the couch lol

DToy

Yeah DToy post some pics and some info about the 85 xtra cab...I may be interested:D

'85 Toy Xtra Cab
220,000 miles on truck, motor has 40,000 on the rebuild
22R motor (carbureted)
New Starter, brakes
New cat-back exhaust with Flowmaster
CD player
Diamondplate toolbox
Suspension is stock.

Runs great, my brother is selling it, wants a 4Runner.
He's asking $2300, but would probably take $2100.
I'll try to post some pics on Monday or Tuesday.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Sorry I didn't realise you were talking toys here. :D
well here are some basic stats.
86 toy went with IFS. I wheeled the piss outa my IFS. no real probs with like 200$ in lift and 35's.
When you get IFS in about 87-88 they threw in EFI fairly standard. You also get a slightly wider and more heavy duty rear axle and braking system. The width is the most noticable. Problems with the 1st gen 79-83 trucks (thats all I know) the front cab corners are always toast on the body mounts. The bed rails rust out. Tailgate usually is SOL to.
Probs with second Gen 84-88 Bed rots out right at a middle bed seam. The window regulators always strip out and need replacing. fenders are to close to the door and seem to get bent or kinked when they get snagged by the door.
probs with third gen 89-95? Head gaskets on the new V-6. Timing chain is now a belt and needs replacing about every 3years. Also heard of the rear R&P giving greif.
Wildyoats always gets rides.
Watch the paper.
1st or 2nd gen truck I usually find for 500 to 1500 depending whats wrong.
3rd gen gets to be about 3-5K but I don't look much.
Good luck and if you want me to keep an eye out I can. If there are other "spacifics" you want or need someone to go look at a truck let me know.

DToy

Originally posted by DToy

'85 Toy Xtra Cab
220,000 miles on truck, motor has 40,000 on the rebuild
22R motor (carbureted)
New Starter, brakes
New cat-back exhaust with Flowmaster
CD player
Diamondplate toolbox
Suspension is stock.

Runs great, my brother is selling it, wants a 4Runner.
He's asking $2300, but would probably take $2100.
I'll try to post some pics on Monday or Tuesday.

Here's a pic:

Box Rocket

bored
My brother in law has an 87 4Runner that's for sale. It's a pretty clean truck, but has minimal rust at the rear fender edges. It's totally stock and would be a great daily driver. It runs really well and has a softtop to go with it. I know he wanted like $4000 for it but he left on his mission a couple months ago and his dad just wants it gone I think so you might be able to get it for $3000 or something close to that. Cool thing is it would be a great candidate for a SAS and would make a cool wheeler with the EFI and all. Let me know and I can put you in touch with my father in law.