A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

snwbrdr852

I don't get on here too often, but I do know that there are a lot of good experienced guys here.
Well I had one of those "Wow, I'm an idiot" moments today and long story short, my 86 4Runner is halfway over the edge of the trail all the way at the top of Mary Ellen Gulch in AF Canyon.
Believe me, I've already realized how dumb/reckless/whatever-other-adjectives-you-want-to-throw-in-here it was, so I'd appreciate everyone skipping the lectures.
But if anyone would be willing to go up and help me attempt to save it, I would GREATLY, SERIOUSLY appreciate it.
And the help of someone with some truly legitimate recovery experience would certainly come in handy because I'll tell you right now it's not gonna be a quick, easy job.
Or to put it another way, I've already accepted the fact that it very well could just go over in the process of trying to recover it.
But I do think it's possible...

Anyway, I didn't have the sense to take a whole bunch of different pictures, but I did get this one.

To give you a little explanation - the picture makes it look milder than it is, of course.
Above the treeline, so nothing to hook to or winch from besides a small boulder which the winch line is attached to. I doubt it's good for much though.
And of course, the winch died as soon as I started trying to spool it in. I reset its breaker and still no-go, so I'm thinking it's a more serious internal issue.
Though, like I said, even if it was working, I don't think it would do me too much good.
Also, there's no way for anything to get around to the front of the truck.

So again, if anyone would be willing to help me out, it would really mean a lot.
And obviously, there would be dinner ...or beer, or whatever in it for you.

If you have any other questions about the positioning or situation, feel free to ask.
Thank you guys.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Are you up there now? Or have you made it out? I am free to give a hand, and an real flexible in my time all day tomorrow. However, I don't have a vehicle that could be relied on to get up that far, so I can only be a tag along to someone else.

sixstringsteve

I could go tonight, but I would feel more comfortable with a second vehicle with a winch. Is there room to drive past you on the road and get in front of you?

sixstringsteve

. Give us a call so we can get the details and we will head up and rescue you tonight. The sooner the better, this could get sketchy in the dark.

snwbrdr852

Wow, I really appreciate the quick replies guys.
I'm back at home now, but the truck is not.
I'm willing to work with anyone available in terms of scheduling. I work graveyards, so I'm free all day.
I do think it would be wise to plan for a couple hours or potentially more up there, so I definitely wouldn't advise going tonight.

I've posted the same on multiple forums, so hopefully I'll find another rig to go up.
I take it you guys are familiar with AF Canyon/Mary Ellen Gulch?
I just want to make sure I'm not getting anyone into something that they're not comfortable with in their rig...
The trail is pretty rough in spots.

sixstringsteve

Tonight is the only time I can go this week. With two winches it shouldn't be bad. Yes, we are very familiar with the area.

sixstringsteve

I'll be leaving in 5. Let's do this Andrew. We're going to meet him at the mouth of the canyon. Bring a snatch block and any extra shackles and straps you may have. And flashlights.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I am always amazed about the many fine people on this forum who will not only help out strangers in need, but who actually thrive on being there to help. Big thumbs up to you guys! Hope the recovery goes well.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well I just saw this, if you guys need more help Steve has my number. My guess you guys are already up there

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Steve I'm going to head that way and see if I can find you. If you get back up on the road before you see me give me a call please