A poor man's dual battery setup

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm not 12v savvy, will this do what I want it to do? Switch off, batteries are isolated and only the primary is being used or charged - switch on, batteries are being charged and used together? I might add an in-cab battery monitor so I can see if the secondary is getting weak and cut it into the circuit for a recharge every now and again.

Untitled.png

This artwork is copyright. No stealing. :mad:

Brad J

My Scout sits for months at a time & the batteries kept dieing until I mounted a Blue Sea Systems e-Series Battery Switch
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...ooglepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3730343436
It is mounted in the cab with new cables from S & H Terminal. I leave both batteries in the off position all of the time. When I start it every so often I switch to the older battery & it usually doesn't have enough juice to start it so I will switch to both batteries to start it. It will charge both batteries if the switch is to both. Its been a good cheap ($50 + cables) setup for me.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My Scout sits for months at a time & the batteries kept dieing until I mounted a Blue Sea Systems e-Series Battery Switch
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...ooglepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3730343436
It is mounted in the cab with new cables from S & H Terminal. I leave both batteries in the off position all of the time. When I start it every so often I switch to the older battery & it usually doesn't have enough juice to start it so I will switch to both batteries to start it. It will charge both batteries if the switch is to both. Its been a good cheap ($50 + cables) setup for me.

That's almost perfect. Why must be it emergency red and blitheringly huge?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77503
How to make a cheap isolated dual-battery setup for $50

This is the one I copied.

If I'm reading that right, that setup ties the batteries together when the solenoid gets power through an ignition-switched circuit, right? And isolates them when the truck is off?

The problem I see there is what if the main battery drains, how would the solenoid kick in when you turn the key? You'd have to (gasp) get out the jumper cables to jump start yourself, and what if it's raining? I drive a Toyota and am fragile, I don't do weather.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I connected mine together then just turn the knob on the terminal for the disconnect on my second battery if I'm in the middle of no where

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
That's almost perfect. Why must be it emergency red and blitheringly huge?

If I'm reading that right, that setup ties the batteries together when the solenoid gets power through an ignition-switched circuit, right? And isolates them when the truck is off?

The problem I see there is what if the main battery drains, how would the solenoid kick in when you turn the key? You'd have to (gasp) get out the jumper cables to jump start yourself, and what if it's raining? I drive a Toyota and am fragile, I don't do weather.

Get a jeep. they never need a jump start. :)