A small call for help

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Thanks a million for the thoughts and prayers. I can feel relief reading your kind words.

Well my condition was a bit better yesterday and then worsening a bit today now pain in the other leg too. Likely impart by a reaction to the nerve medication they have me on and an antacid (Tums). Throwing up both ends half-day with a blow disc isn't pleasant (tmi). I felt like I was going to die. Perhaps I needed to feel worse to strengthen my resolve to get the procedure. Looking very much forward to the surgery and praying the surgeon's skilled hands will provide some relief.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Good news! The surgery was successful and I have almost no sciatic pain anymore. Once the drugs wore off I was able to walk myself into the IHOP (I needed some food after my 19 hour forced fast.)
I feel like I got hit in low back with a sledgehammer but it's much less pain than before the surgery.
I've got a long road to full recovery and probably some long-lasting numbness in my leg and foot but I'm so grateful for the inspired knowledge and technology that allows for this kind of surgery!

Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts I really could feel angels watching over me and a calm peace as I went in to the OR.
IMG_20200106_150733.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So here's a quick update for those who've asked:

I've mostly been on my back 90% recovering these 2 weeks. It's almost comedy to have my 8 month pregnant wife help me put on socks.
Happily I've had almost no use for the pain pills. I've practiced crashing my whole life so my pain tolerance is... Developed. I've only had to take 3 in the 2 weeks following my surgery. Mostly when I've overdone it. For example I spent a 12 hour day hobbling around, under, in and out of cars making sure we got a good mechanically sound deal. (Shopping for a new SUV to fit a 3rd car seat).

I had almost zero pain for 2 days following the surgery, I thought it was a miracle! I was cured! Not so... haha I've had some sciatic pain each day but nothing miserable compared to before.

It's weird. It's like the pinched nerve is reawakening and tells my brain my leg has a problem or feels broken. When really I have no leg injury whatsoever. Bizarre. Luckily laying down very quickly relives the pinch and the nerve pain. This pain comes sporadically and VERY strongly and understandably other parents at the McDonald's play place look at you weird when you suddenly have to lay down... 1 star: I don't recommend this to anyone.

More worryingly: I had the numbness return to my right foot even stronger than before and slowly day by day it's traveled up to my buttock. I can cope with numbness and I can still walk around a bit. But I don't want to have a numb leg for life haha! Soooo I've got another MRI scheduled for Thursday.

I have a feeling I've got a long road ahead of me and I'm still happy and optimistic, but the mind is a tricky thing when you're just laying around not able to do almost anything. I truly believe that happiness can be practiced just like any skill. I'm learning to be more patient (with my kids mostly since I can't chase them around or pick them up).

Thanks for the support and continued thoughts and prayers.

Your busted (for now) friend,
Stratton.
IMG_20200122_124455.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I do have a small favor to ask. I need help changing 3 front driveline Ujoints.

If anyone can give me a hand (I'm available anytime... Since I'm stuck here). Message me.

I'm getting ready to list my DD TJ Wrangler for sale. (Since it won't seatbelt 3 kids) and I noticed a month ago when I went and drove up in the snow I've got a front driveline vibe in 4 high. I think it's just a Ujoint. I've bought 3 new ones, but I can't get under the thing to pull the driveshaft and replace the ujoints. It's like a 45 minute job for me and frustratingly I can't do it myself.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I do have a small favor to ask. I need help changing 3 front driveline Ujoints.

If anyone can give me a hand (I'm available anytime... Since I'm stuck here). Message me.

I'm getting ready to list my DD TJ Wrangler for sale. (Since it won't seatbelt 3 kids) and I noticed a month ago when I went and drove up in the snow I've got a front driveline vibe in 4 high. I think it's just a Ujoint. I've bought 3 new ones, but I can't get under the thing to pull the driveshaft and replace the ujoints. It's like a 45 minute job for me and frustratingly I can't do it myself.
If Russ doesn't get you sorted, i am happy to help. I could help Monday night.

Reactions: DAA

DAA

You get used to laying down wherever whenever and ignoring people. Not infrequently a bystander can relate and will offer encouragement. I do, whenever I see someone dealing with an episode in public. It sucks but it is what it is. I'm still putting off surgery though. Only been 15 years now I'm still waiting for better technology and more frequent good outcomes :).

I think I've got Saturday free for ujoints.

- DAA

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Is that gray in your hair along with that cane?

(I can likely assist if the other folks can't) Have most evenings free since I don't have a house or anywhere to work on anything. You're REALLY far away though. It's quite a commute from the NSL/Bountiful border all the way over to Bountiful proper

Lots of gray hair. White actually. I guess it's better than the alternative. Started when I had kids- shocker. I won't be surprised if I'm full white by 40 with my kids. I'll text ya's.