Abandoned vehicle purchase experiences?

The_Lobbster

I have found a geo tracker that I'm wanting to pick up as a donor for my Samurai. The owner of the property purchased it a few years ago or so, and whoever previously lived there just left the tracker, along with several other cars. I want to buy this tracker, as it's cheap, and what I'm looking for in a drivetrain. I've been reading up on the laws regarding this, but still curious if anybody on here has actually gone through this scenario to get a vehicle. I don't want to pay the guy $100 for it, haul it off his property, then get hit with any sort of legal repercussions.

I have thought about just filling out the form for insufficient proof of ownership to apply for a title, did that with my last Samurai and it was fairly simple, but the guy I bought it from had purchased it himself, still had his original bill of sale.

Any advice or suggestions how to approach this?

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
If it's just for parts, I question what you'd really need to have......perhaps just a letter from the property owner stating the timeline of how he came to "possess" it, and a bill of sale? If that VIN is not going to make it out on the road, I don't really see what problem to solve other than the "ownership" trail.

Pile of parts

If it's just for parts, I question what you'd really need to have......perhaps just a letter from the property owner stating the timeline of how he came to "possess" it, and a bill of sale? If that VIN is not going to make it out on the road, I don't really see what problem to solve other than the "ownership" trail.
Other than disposing of what you don't want. The frame and body will have VINs and the scrap yards won't take them without titles. You'd end up having to cut them up into pieces. I'd negotiate with the property owner for the parts you want and leave him with the rest to deal with

The_Lobbster

Utah law actually requires anybody parting out a vehicle to obtain a dismantlers permit. Besides that, I can pretty much guarantee the guy isn't going to want anything left over. The body isn't in too bad of shape either, so if I have a title, I can probably sell it later as well besides scrapping it, to make a little money back. Some guys look for these things to repair their rusted out ones.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 36

ID Bronco

I had a guy leave a VW at our apartments once. For like two years, I was able to get the title and sell it, but cannot recall much since it was 20 years ago. It can be done though.

The_Lobbster

Yes I was looking at it a bit ago. Looking at it now, I still don't understand if I can file it as such without being a licensed towing company.

But also, that is for a towed vehicle. From what I've been reading, there seems to be a difference between a towed title, and an abandoned title. According to Utah law, a vehicle can be towed and declared abandoned if the vehicle has been left on the property for more than 7 days without expressed or written consent of the property owner.

The_Lobbster

I linked it only for the info needed. I'd probably start with satisfying all those major requirements. Do they know the owners that abandoned it?
I don’t know if they know them or not. The property owners do own a well known and seemingly reputable body shop in Orem, with several other locations as well. But they have no time it seems to get a title or deal with it. I might start with going to the DMV and seeing what they say.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
When I put in for a new title for the Gray Bastard, I had a bill of sale from Brandon and the name of the previous owner in Idaho and it was still a bit of a runaround. My suggestion would be to put getting a title on the current owner (possessor?) It's on his property, he's likely to need to jump through many fewer hoops to get it titled. Then once he's done that, you can buy it from him without any drama.

You don't have to. But it'll be easier for him to title it than for you.

J-mobzz

I did it back in the early 2000’s I remember having to get a vin inspection and the car showed a lien on it but luckily the bank was willing to just release it and I got it titled.
IMO if you want it get it and figure out the title before you tear it apart. You’ll be able to get one unless it’s reported stolen and the owner wants it back or has a lien and that person actually wants it.

The_Lobbster

I did it back in the early 2000’s I remember having to get a vin inspection and the car showed a lien on it but luckily the bank was willing to just release it and I got it titled.
IMO if you want it get it and figure out the title before you tear it apart. You’ll be able to get one unless it’s reported stolen and the owner wants it back or has a lien and that person actually wants it.
For sure, I might even consider just leaving it on their property until I can go down to the DMV and try to file for a title. No point in loading it up and taking it home if somebody or the state is going to come after me.

mighty midjet

I've done lost title on a few vehicles. The hardest part was getting a cop to come over and verify the VIN on the paper work matched the VIN on the vehicle. One time I trailered the car to the police station and they did it right there.
I took the VIN verification, and application for new title to the dmv. The last time I did it it was only $4 but it looks like it's now $6. I brought photos one time but they didn't even look at them .

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have done several VIN inspections the last couple years. I just call the non emergency dispatch number for Unified, tell them what I need, and they send a cop when they are available. Usually within an hour. Most of the cops that have came have been very cool to work with. One guy seemed a little grumpy, like doing that work was below him. I always have all the paperwork filled out so all they have to do is sign.

I always enjoy it when cops are at my house. Gets the neighbors talking. :D

The_Lobbster

I have done a couple the past few years as well. Just curious if I should go about getting a title as an abandoned vehicle, or just a bill of sale from the property owner. Technically speaking, he did buy the property as is, with the vehicles there, so I would assume since the seller did not take them with him, that the new owner could legally sell them? Maybe not, but I'm not sure. I think I'll try this route first, just try to get it titled with an insufficient ownership document.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've done about a dozen insufficient evidence of ownership fillings. I will add with one caviate that an abandoned vehicle adds some complexity and your the attitude of your local DMV employee at the time the paperwork is filled can trivialize it or make the experience miserable.

The very first step is to call the DMV helpline and explain the situation and your desired outcome. The phone agents are like DMV superheros and about 9 times smarter than the average desk clerk. They will help you put together a correct legal pathway to get what you want.
Occasionally if they determine the value is over an arbitrary number (like $1500) you will have to pay a bond for the title research and they will advise you it can take up to 6 months (the longest I've waited was 6 weeks).

Do that first along with a vin inspection and you'll get there eventually. The agent I regularly work with explained the DMVs job is to collect revenue. If you can help them collect more revenue, without making their life a huge hassle they'll help you get there.

The_Lobbster

That is some excellent information! I did not know the DMV had a help line. I believe I’ve tried to call before and thought it was always just a computer automated message saying their hours or some worthless info. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for your help everybody!

The_Lobbster

I do have to wonder as well, I believe the owner bought the property “as is” with everything on it. I believe the property could possibly have been rental, as the owner information I found inside the vehicle did not match the owner information from the county assessors website. Which would beg the question, if the previous owner abandoned it there, would the sale of the property “as is”, include ownership of the abandoned vehicles? I will have to see what happens I suppose. And I’ll try calling tomorrow to see what they say.