Northern Utah Accidents at Five Mile Pass

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
None of the report I have read have given specific details, but I believe they are both sxs's and people not wearing helmets.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
None of the report I have read have given specific details, but I believe they are both sxs's and people not wearing helmets.

I believe you're right, it sounds like it's incredibly busy out there as warmer weather is upon us and people are itching to be 'socially distant' and get out of the house. With the sheer numbers of people out there, the number of idiots increases as well.

Anyone headed out there best be careful and watch out for the dummies!

J-mobzz

I was out at 5 mile this weekend camping. We went way south closer to black rock to get away from people. As the sun was setting Saturday night we watched an ambulance coming in on one of the graded dirt roads way back in.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Inevitable as more and more people get out close to home and have fewer and fewer places to go. I suspect it will be a bad year. Everyone is pissed at everyone else cause they all had the brilliant idea to socially distance themselves with everyone along the Wasatch Front at close by recreation areas.

We need a one way wall built around UT. You can leave, but you can't come back... :)

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Speaking of crowding at OHV areas, I saw an article mentioning Sand Hollow was closed yesterday after being totally over run with vehicles and people. Folks were parking on the highway, others were driving over fences to get access, it was totally overwhelmed. It sounds like Moab is preparing to re-open soon as well, I'd imagine the town and trails are going to suffer a similar fate... over ran by all the people trying to make up for being forced to stay home the last several weeks.

I hate to say it, but I think the most popular destinations are going to be this way for awhile. It's going to be hard to get away from the crowds this Spring/Summer.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Speaking of crowding at OHV areas, I saw an article yesterday that Sand Hollow was closed yesterday after being totally over run with vehicles and people. Folks were parking on the highway, others were driving over fences to get access, it was totally overwhelmed. It sounds like Moab is preparing to re-open soon as well, I'd imagine the town and trails are going to suffer a similar fate... over ran by all the people trying to make up for being forced to stay home the last several weeks.

I hate to say it, but I think the most popular destinations are going to be this way for awhile. It's going to be hard to get away from the crowds this Spring/Summer.
I can see it as the opposite, too. Too many people are too broke to travel, and many people just getting back to work, and trying to play catch up.

Greg

Admin
I can see it as the opposite, too. Too many people are too broke to travel, and many people just getting back to work, and trying to play catch up.

Yeah, that's a possibility.... IMO what happened at Sand Hollow is a result of both the locals overcrowding the park (population explosion in STG) and out of towners wanting to get out and recreate as well. I've seen a bunch of people making plans to head to Sand Hollow from the SLC area the last few days and with Moab still mostly shut down, it's available as an alternative.