Adaptive Cruise Control

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Let me start by saying that I love the ACC in my gladiator. Makes highway cruising much more pleasant, especially on a busy I15.

At just 2400 miles an uncovered dump truck dropped a rock on I15 about 5 car lengths and one lane to the right, in front of me while driving the gladiator. Of course it cracked the windshield. Safelite quoted me $1109 to replace the windshield with Mopar brand glass. This included a $300 alignment of the ACC system.

Is this alignment something that a home mechanic can do? Anyone with experience here? My thoughts are that since its a jeep, I'll be replacing the windshield again. If I can do the alignment myself, in the long run I can save some $.

I ended up having the dealer replace the windshield while it was in getting a new steering box as part of a TSB.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Recalibrating the ACC system involves plugging in to the vehicle's computer and going through a process, so I highly doubt this is something the at-home mechanic can do.

For the record, recalibration is a hit-or-miss thing. By that I mean, some Jeep windshield replacements require it while others do not. The fact that you installed an OEM replacement windshield will greatly reduce your chances of needing a recalibration, so you might be okay.

notajeep

Just me
I don't know how helpful this is, but I have a 2016 Chrysler 300C that has the adaptive cruise control. But that sensor is located down low on the bumper. However the lane departure camera is behind the rear view mirror, and that has to be re-calibrated each time I've had the windshield replaced. (twice). Both times the glass place has handled it with no issues.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Since posting, I asked the service manager at the Jeep dealer and he told me that the alignment involves using scan tool. The ACC is tied into the active safety group option, so maybe there is more to it than I want to bite off. Sounds like what TurboMinivan was explaining.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had the windshield replaced in my 2019 Jeep Wrangler. Safelite said it was supposed to be re-calibrated but said they didn't have the ability to do so. They told me they were going to do it and it was only after the install they realized they couldn't do it. They recommended taking it to the dealer if I had any problems with it. I never went to the dealer and it's been working perfectly. I don't know of the newer Gladiators are the same or not. They may be different simply because I only payed $600 for my OEM windshield.

Just my two cents.