Adding acetone to your gas can help increase mileage.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Spence and I both ran it side by side back from Wamsutter, WY to Ogden, UT with little to no improvement. There was no mileage improvement and the only thing that I could feel was that my idle was a little rougher. I ran it in one of our company pickups for five tanks and there was also no change, except for slight difference in idle. I am guessing by the whole NAXJA thread that folks who do see a difference are driving vehicles that have some latent fuel system problems that the acetone helps masks.

Vehicles:
1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited w/ 115,000 miles. 33" MTR's, 4.56 gears and no other exterior mods. The motor has never been apart for any reason. 14-16 MPG town/highway

1994 YJ 4.0L with ~60,000 miles. 33" Pro-craps, 4:56 gears and custom front bumper with winch mount and winch. Spence has been into the exhaust manifold and the water pump. 15-16 highway/ ??? town

2002 Chevy 1/2 silverado w/ 59,000 miles. Totally stock from the factory with regular service intervals. ~15-18 town/highway

Spence might jump on here and share SOTP differences, but I tried different ratios of acetone and different driving styles to see if there was any change. Honestly, I don't think I will try again as there was no significant difference for me. I do not believe there would be any long term issues created by the acetone as it is not harmful to metal or fuel stable components. I am not sorry for having spent the money on it either. The potential for improvement is there for folks who have fuel system problems, but I don't believe I am one of them. Best of luck to anyone who tries!!

Well, I'm getting pretty bad mileage. Somewhere around 12, I'll have to see if it helps me out at all. I think I'll try it in my work truck just for the heck of it. That thing sees a lot of miles and definitely has some kind of latent fuel issues with 233,000 miles on the odometer.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
like james said...I got nothing on this one for a couple tanks of gas. MY YJ has around 16K on it and I noticed nothing.

All these vehicles have EFI so maybe it will make a larger difference with a carburated vehicle or something?

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
spencurai said:
like james said...I got nothing on this one for a couple tanks of gas. MY YJ has around 16K on it and I noticed nothing.

All these vehicles have EFI so maybe it will make a larger difference with a carburated vehicle or something?

I would guess that you just hit the nail on the head. I would imagine the the acetone allows for a lower revaporization temperature/pressure which would help with throttle body injection and carburated vehicles

Caleb

lenny said:
I would guess that you just hit the nail on the head. I would imagine the the acetone allows for a lower revaporization temperature/pressure which would help with throttle body injection and carburated vehicles

are YJs not TBI?

Caleb

skylinerider said:
92-95 YJ's had MPI (multi port injection)

4.0L or both 2.5L and 4.0L cause I am positive my 94 2.5L had a throttle body and according to RE 91-04 6cyl have a throttle body :confused:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
In the Manual all 91-95 Jeep wranglers 2.5 and 4.0 had MPI
1990 2.5 had TBI
1990 4.2 had 2 BBL

1989 2.5 had TBI
1989 4.2 had 2 BBL

1988 2.5 had TBI
1988 4.2 had 2 BBL

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I should try it in my '89 350 TBI Sub (if anything needs a mileage increase, that does). 135K miles, stock as the day it rolled off the lot.....T400, 4.11 gears,{3000 RPM at 75 mph= about 10 mpg with measured 34" tires}. I've got my GPS in there and could do a pretty accurate check.

What's the acetone ratio again? 2 oz. per 10 gals? (I don't wanna read through that 20 + page thread on NAXJA...)

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Folks usually start with 2oz. per 10 gallons, but each car will be different. Experiment with the ratio until you get what works for you. After reading that whole thread, it looked like folks were having good luck with 1.5oz. per 10 gal. after a few tanks. Too much and you'll change the fuel characteristics to the point where it becomes counter productive. Too little and there is no benefit at all.

I saw no improvement driving through Wyoming. Before the Acetone driving West was always WOT maitaining 75mph. After a five hundred miles with Acetone, it was still WOT through WY. All of you who drive the high desert of Wyoming know that there is always a strong west to east wind. It is all my cherokar can do to go the speed limit. Spence drove about 12" off my bumper the whole way back so he could catch my XM radio and he didn't even see any improvement.

James

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I actually drove my vehicle looking through his. It was an intersting exerience and now that I have about 500+ miles of 12" or less...there is no other way to fly!!

Caleb

skylinerider said:
In the Manual all 91-95 Jeep wranglers 2.5 and 4.0 had MPI
1990 2.5 had TBI
1990 4.2 had 2 BBL

1989 2.5 had TBI
1989 4.2 had 2 BBL

1988 2.5 had TBI
1988 4.2 had 2 BBL

then whats this? Maybe I am just confusing things but it seems they have both a TBI with MPI???

4x4phil

Ya know the naxja article seems pretty convincing. And so far I've heard that it does improve your idle. I have a dodge neon (I can't believe I'd even admit that) that's idles pretty rough and It isn't as economical as it should be. Maybe the mileage increase that people see is a cleaning effect that restores their original mpg potential. I'm gonna try it. We'll see how it works. But 2 oz per 10 gal sure doesn't seem like much.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
So, i leave work today, thinking about this thread all day, and there is a variety store, Kings, like a white trash version of Walgreens, and I think what the hell.

2oz Cutex, 1.05 with tax Poured it in the tank, about 12 ish gallons, supposed to hold 14 and chang, and have gone 40 miles, at 20-22 mpg.

Rig 1986 Toyota van, 2x, 171+++, motor 4Y-EC, fuel injected, separate injectors, Bosch style, I am sure no different than any 22re on the planet.

Noticed a difference right away, and I thought that maybe it was pychosomatic, ya know the placebo effect, no, it was real.

Commute home is 15 miles. By the time that I got home, the van ran like new (I guess), had more torque, stronger kick at shifts, the corners that it used to lift a tire and scratch (gotta love the sounds of studs rippin' on pavement), it now lifts a tire and burns out for a second or two.

Not that I rod it, but the body roll is significant enough that in a hard 90 like down town or a back road, if you take the corner at 20-40,depending on the geometry of the road, it will scratch the most inside tire. Now it is a significant scratch.

R's out smoother, and idle wasn't exactly rough to began with, but noticeably better.

Did it fix the lean miss caused by a leaky inj.? No ( :confused: )
Is it any less rusty? No ( :rofl: )
Is my wife prettier and do I make more money now? No ( :greg: )
Will the dog stop chewing the wifes shoes? No ( :ugh: )

So, all the snake oil claims are not real, but it made a difference in my ol' Toy.

Last edited:

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
TBI, Throttle Body Injection- Injectors mounted in the throttle body, such as the pre-vortec chev 350's

MPI, Multi-Point Injection- Injectors mounted new the intake valve, such as the current Jeep 4.0, on which the throttle body is just a metering devise for air intake

Also TBI engines use a wet manifold, where as MPI is a dry manifold
Often times the aftermarket injection kits use TBI because it is easy to mount to an existing manifold

ZUK

No mileage improvement for me after 2 tankfuls....it does run smoother at idle though. This is in my DD 1988 Runner 3.0 auto. I was kinda figuring the same thing as some of you guys that the vaporization is usually about as good as it can get with FI....and that most carbs will see a real improvement with the acetone. I will still be using it regularly.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
jamesgeologist and I made our trip back from wyoming as usual....and we still have not noticed any difference. We actually got better mileage this time back than the time back when we had acetone in our tanks. The weather seemed slightly better and we travelled at an even greater pace than before to try and make up for lost time and we still got way better mileage than the acetone test.

Sorry people, mileage is bullshiat....but maybe a smoother idle is worth it to some people. Realistically this is just another ingredient in fuel injector or carb cleaner.

Well, it may not have worked for you but I just finished my first tank and it's definitely helped me.

I usually have to fill up at about 170 miles on a tank. I haven't ever gotten more than 200 miles a tank on this engine and I'm at 220 right now and about to run out.