Adding an axel to a trailer

rrefx

Hey guys,
I know this isn't exactly 4x4, but also know this is the place to get advice. I have a 34' gooseneck trailer that's just a bit overloaded. I have to take it to Tampa on a job, and before I do I would like to add a third axel. Never have done this before, but it should be pretty straight foreward I would think. Just wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I tackle it.

Ryan

Caleb

I've done it on a couple trailers...to do it correctly you will need to remove the other two and reposition them as well. Other than that its pretty straight forward, go for it :D

rrefx

Who's a good Utah supplier of trailer parts. All I've found here is Hendersons, I'm use to shopping at Century Wheel back home in LA, and I haven't found anything up here that even compares. With all the trailers up here I figure there has to be something.

Caleb

I've always used Hendersons. They are usually the most convenient and they usually have the best prices. There's also State Trailer Supply on Redwood, also just about any of the trailer dealers (Wasatch, Lone Peak, Bubbas, etc) all sale parts as well.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Do you mean Tampa FL ????

Anyways what is the trailer's GVWR with the two axles already on it?

What is it you do for work that makes you drive all the way to Tampa?

rrefx

Kris K said:
Do you mean Tampa FL ????

Anyways what is the trailer's GVWR with the two axles already on it?

What is it you do for work that makes you drive all the way to Tampa?

Yup, Tampa, FL, With a quick stop over in Philladelphia on the way.

Currently the trailer has two 9,000 lbs axels on it, but she weighs 7.5 tons. I would just have more peice of mind with another axel, and another set of tires on the ground.

I'm a pyrotechnition in the movie industry, I do pyrotechnics, mechanical effects, and anything atmospheric. THis next trip will be with teh history channel. I haven't heard much, except they want us to recreate a battle scene. I usually try not to go on the road, but just this year so far I've worked in LA three times, the Mojave airport for a few weeks, Illinois three times, Minnasota, Wisconsin, New York, Cornwall Canada, and every time I was driving the trailer out there, it's my mobile shop. It's always done okay, but this time I'll have a lot of steel morters onboard, and I know she'll be a bit heavier than usual. Just want to do the preventative maintenence before I'm stuck broken down in Cleveland in the middle of the night.

Thanks,
Ryan

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Yeah i work at the POE in Heber. Just wondering if you have all you need to stay out of trouble. :D

Make sure your log book stays current. :greg:

Sounds like your good to go.

rrefx

I always get pulled into weigh stations with this rig. It's a 34' gooseneck, with a 28' eclosed box. It's definately funny looking, but very helpful when just around town, I can pull it with my duelly. Over the road it has a fifth wheel attatchment, and I try to get the company to supply a Semi tractor to pull it with. The trailer was custom built for a film company in LA, and some of those weigh stations aren't to keen on custom trailers. Last time I was passing through Lincoln, this spring, they gave it a full inspection, and finally let it go, but it's just the type of trailer that draws attention, and I think I need to upgrade.

The truth is I've outgrown it, and am in the market for a semi trailer to build my shop into. I can no longer fit the lathe or mill on my current one due to space and weight, and I'm always offloading stuff for trips that I might need for stuff I do need. There's a nice 45' trailer with a lift gate and belly boxes I have my eye on, it's just my trailer right now is paid for, and brings in profit. If I buy a new one and move my gear over, I'll be paying for it for a while, so right now just trying to keep my margins in the positive as long as I can.

Thanks for watching my back Kris.

Ryan

Last edited: