Advanced winch recovery techniques

The line speed is cut in half all other things being equal, but the winch will be spooling faster due to the lighter load it sees--so I'd bet the winch-running time would not be doubled. So my vote would be that using a snatch block would let you winch more per battery. :)

Yes but...when I flopped I ran my cable up to a tree and back to my cage my intent was to get it upright, so I was getting the benefit of the reduction but the direction of the pull was more important. If you roll, you'll be running your cable to something on the side and then back to your rig to roll it over. Usually just dragging from the front doesn't do much for you.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
(on previous discussion) Winch line stretch does not play a significant factor that I can tell.

So there are 4 sections of rope. Winch->B1, B1->B2, B2->rear, rear->tree.
View attachment 97370
As the Jeep rolls backwards, the distance between W-B1 increases at the same rate as B2-rear decreases (assuming perfect triangle). so while the jeep is rolling backward, the total line length from W_to_B1 + B1_to_B2 + B2_to_rear is the same. To restate, there is no rope collected from this loop. so the place that the winch is taking rope from is the Rear_to_tree length, the rest is about equalibrium. Kinda make sense?

Not sure I follow that. I don't math very good, but I don't think the assumption that W-to-B1 increases at the same rate that B2-to-rear decreases is correct? Neither is in the same plane as B1-to-B2, so as the distances change, the rates of change should too, right? I think W-to-B1 gets longer faster than B2-to-rear gets shorter, and it gets faster faster the farther the Jeep moves.

Rock Hog

Wrencher
Not sure I follow that. I don't math very good, but I don't think the assumption that W-to-B1 increases at the same rate that B2-to-rear decreases is correct? Neither is in the same plane as B1-to-B2, so as the distances change, the rates of change should too, right? I think W-to-B1 gets longer faster than B2-to-rear gets shorter, and it gets faster faster the farther the Jeep moves.
you are absolutely correct. I was speaking entirely about the initial movement of the system. As the jeep rolls back, W_B1 will begin to increase faster than B2_rear decreases. when the back of the jeep becomes parallel with the B2 tree, there will be no change in B2-rear and the change in W-B1 will be close to the same rate as rear-B3, which will make the system completely useless and pull itself apart.

another thing too is that the forces applied will pull the jeep closer to the trees, making the system break that much faster. ultimately this would only be good for a few feet of movement I'd imagine, and only with adequate tree/anchor placement. but sometimes a foot or two is all you need :D

you are absolutely correct. I was speaking entirely about the initial movement of the system. As the jeep rolls back, W_B1 will begin to increase faster than B2_rear decreases. when the back of the jeep becomes parallel with the B2 tree, there will be no change in B2-rear and the change in W-B1 will be close to the same rate as rear-B3, which will make the system completely useless and pull itself apart.

another thing too is that the forces applied will pull the jeep closer to the trees, making the system break that much faster. ultimately this would only be good for a few feet of movement I'd imagine, and only with adequate tree/anchor placement. but sometimes a foot or two is all you need :D

Glad we got that cleared up. I read it in a meeting and couldn't reply. On the flip side, it could just be used to pull the rig sideways if necessary up to the trees or back up on a road, with a little help from the rig.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Anyone have experience with something like this? 'Scotch Blocks' are wheel chocks you secure to your vehicle to prevent it from dragging, and keeps the pressure off your drive line/parts.
I always use neutral and a second person on the brakes when possible.
If no one is with me, I will use rocks or logs to butt my tires up against.
I often use a curb when pulling tree's out in residential areas.

I just watched a couple videos, and it seems they add significant pulling traction.

1643569238120-png.305932

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Anyone have experience with something like this? 'Scotch Blocks' are wheel chocks you secure to your vehicle to prevent it from dragging, and keeps the pressure off your drive line/parts.
I always use neutral and a second person on the brakes when possible.
If no one is with me, I will use rocks or logs to butt my tires up against.
I often use a curb when pulling tree's out in residential areas.

I just watched a couple videos, and it seems they add significant pulling traction.

1643569238120-png.305932

I like the idea of those but am not sure I want to carry them