Adventure Bike

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I was impressed with the thing. If I had 13k laying about I'd get one. It certainly wouldn't do the kind of riding I like as well as my 690 but you don't putt with a 3 wood either. In my opinion it's a better bike than almost anything in or near the category. It knocks both the GS1200 and Africa Twin out of the water with off-road capability, weight and looks in my opinion. It's heavy at 430lbs ish but comparatively light to it's competition
It's got a great range with it's 6+ gallon tank and the power is just electric. I've ridden a 990 and they don't hold a candle to these.

MVIMG_20180809_120405~2.jpg

However I will say unless you put a skid plate on it, the exhaust and engine cases are super vulnerable.
With all the computer nannies off and with some speed you kinda forget how large it is and you can really move it around like a dirt bike.

SnwMnkys

If I were to get another bike, it would be a 1090 Adventure R. Yeah, they're big in the dirt compared to smaller bikes but run great down the road with the power and fairings. I hear they're like a refined 990 Adventure, and I loved my 990.

Hurry and get one already so we can get some cool trips planned :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hurry and get one already so we can get some cool trips planned :D

This isn't easy for me to admit, but I think my riding days are over. The last long adventure ride I went on, I had to bail early after severe back pain. I also have something going on with my neck, from a wreck a few years ago. With those things and my shoulder surgery, I've pretty much conceded that if I want to be somewhat healthy by the time I retire, I need to give up riding. :confused:

I still have all my riding gear and I'm having a hard time giving that up... just in case I say eff it.

Greg

Admin
Planning a 4 night/ 3 day Moto camping ride Thursday. I'm a little concerned about how to get it all on the bike but I'm excited to make it happen!

You should have plenty of room with that Giant Loop Coyote and some gear lashed to the rear luggage rack.

Greg

Admin
I need about a gallon of fuel. I'm running right there at 48mpg jamming pretty quick and my range is just about 150 miles now.

Has anyone got a small rotopack I can buy/ borrow steal?

You need an Aux tank from Rade Garage! https://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-690-auxiliary-tank/

Problem is they are in Lithuania(?) and it won't be here in time. But for next time....

I had a Rade Garage carbon fiber fairing on my 990, killer parts, very high quality.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have a 3l Camelback, so there are larger bladders if you can find them.

I do have a 3 gallon rotopax I'll lend you if you want to carry that much. I have the mount you can borrow too, but you'd have to figure out how to mount it.

gatchmo5710

Just did that ride(close to it) Saturday. Beautiful up there right now!!! enough rain lately too to keep the dust down. Keep an eye out for the sxs guys. The snow birds are out in force.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I did buy a 1 gallon rotopax and mount from Rocky Mountain. I'm hoping it shows up soon. I'm sure I'll be able to use it somewhere later on.

That's a cool idea with the Dromedary, I wonder how you'd pour fuel out of that?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Here's my packlist post.

Fully geared up for 4 nights and 3 days.
IMG_20181026_112543.jpgIMG_20181027_130406.jpg

The Giant Loop Coyote was excellent with my sleeping bag (that was kind of larger) on the left. Tent, tools and spare 18" tube (can fit in front 21" or rear 18") inflatable sleeping pad, soft shell jacket in the right and clothes/ toiletries on top. The three sectioned bags that fit into each space we're awesome.
Ended up with all my freeze dried food in my backpack and a 2L water bladder so even though it was larger than a normal backpack it was very very light.
The rear top bag was almost totally full with a riding jacket (for evenings), 3L of water and a pair of shoes, flashlight. Next time I'll pack really small flat pack or rollable shoes and a compresible puffy jacket with a smaller shell.
It mounted well on top of my rotopax. I kinda wish I got a 1.5 gal instead of 1 gallon because I hit gas light hard coming in right at 3 gallon tank+ 1gal rotopax +1.5 L (that Darrin gave me so he didn't have to carry it home). And 209 miles. I had I think .3 of a gallon left. Gas light comes on at I think .5 gallon.

So after all the math I used 4.1 gallons in 209 miles or 51MPG.

Last edited: