Jeep Advice on tires and wheels for the XJ

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am working on getting adapters from @kmboren and will be going the JK takeoff route for wheels and tires. This should let me try out bigger tires while being able to resell them at not too huge of a loss if I am not happy with them.

How are the Bridgestone Duelers? I'm not familiar with them. From the research I have done so far it looks like they are a good on road tire but not the best off road. I don't need anything too extreme but do want something that will perform well for my use off road.
I would say they are a mild AT tire. We used them for one winter on my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee and they did well.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I’d stick with some JK rubicon take offs for now. Easily found on KSL and they are a weird hybrid from a BFG all terrain and a mud terrain

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Brought home 5 of these tonight. Now just need the mailman to bring the adapters so I can mount them. Also need to do more researching on getting them siped of siping them myself.

View attachment 117726

View attachment 117725

They look real good, that'll be a nice upgrade.

Honestly, I would pay a shop to do the siping... I used to work in a Tractor/Trailer tire shop (Jacks Tire & Oil) and we had a machine for siping tires. The sipes end up being perfectly spaced and at the right depth, it would be impossible to replicate at home. Find a similar big truck tire shop and ask if they'll sipe them for you. Hopefully you can get it done at a decent price.

Also, I would avoid siping the very outer edges of the tires... that will keep the edges of the tires from chunking out.

Homefryy

They look real good, that'll be a nice upgrade.

You are familiar with the existing tires I have. These definitely will be an upgrade.

I've had tires siped at Discount a couple times.

I called Discount and they said they don't do siping anymore. I asked the guy if it was just that location or Discount Tires in general and he said none of them do it anymore. He said siping in general is being done less and less these days.

I called Les Schwab and they do it for $18/tire so I will be heading over there later today. I'm happy to give them my business anyway since a few months ago I needed one of my Subaru's tires patched and they did it for free even though I didn't buy the tires there.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You are familiar with the existing tires I have. These definitely will be an upgrade.

I called Discount and they said they don't do siping anymore. I asked the guy if it was just that location or Discount Tires in general and he said none of them do it anymore. He said siping in general is being done less and less these days.

I called Les Schwab and they do it for $18/tire so I will be heading over there later today. I'm happy to give them my business anyway since a few months ago I needed one of my Subaru's tires patched and they did it for free even though I didn't buy the tires there.

Yeah, these are a massive upgrade to the previous tires! X-D

Sounds like you're taken care of with Les Schwab, then! I think this combo is going to be pretty good for both Winter road use and 4WD offroad use. These tires will probably develop a good bit of road noise as they wear, so be aware of that. And everyone is right on the tire rotations, it'll pay off if you stay on top of it.

Can't wait to see it with the new Rubicon wheels & tires on the Cherokee and hear what you think about how they work. :cool:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Those look GOOD! I dig the newer OEM wheels with bigger tires on older rigs. :cool:

If you know somebody with a groover, you can flip the groove blade around and use it to sip tires easily. Just fyi.

Omgbecki

Don't forget the spare tire while doing the rotating. I'm not exactly sure about these specific tires but I had the KMs and got a lot of good hard miles out of them before I finally needed new tires. I'm sure these will do you good as well