Toyota Advise on 4 Runner

Jeepj667

Thanks all for the advice on the XJ thread.

Now I'm wondering about 4 runners. In my price range I'm seeing '95s - '00s. What shoul. d I be looking for?

To 're-cap I'm looking for a daily driver/expedition vehicle. Would like to get 33's on it. Limited slip or locker in rear.

Thanks

sixstringsteve

Good choice! 4runners are a lot more $ than an XJ, but they hold their value extremely well. Even when you go to sell one with over 200k, you can always get $3500+ out of them. They're very similar to a tacoma: same motors, drivetrain, t-cases, and font suspension.

You're looking for a 96 and up. You DO NOT want the 4runner with the 3.0 V6 (1989-1995).

The 3.4L V6 is a very reliable motor, as is the 4 cyl 2.7 L. The v6 will have a bit more power, the 4 cyl will get a bit better mileage. Neither one is a powerhouse or amazing for towing over 1500 lbs.

If I were to get one another one (I've had 3), I'd look for the following:

'96-02 4runner
clean title
200k miles or less (but well maintained)
auto tranny
I'd look for one that had the rear elocker, but I would personally avoid the limited model (leather, etc, different HVAC controls which had issues)
check to make sure the following has been done: timing belt, water pump, front lower ball joints, and transmission drain and refill every 90k or so.

The "sport" or "highlander" editions came with a hood scoop and the elocker. however, people think they're made of gold if they have the hood scoop. You'll easily pay $1000 more for one with a hood scoop. To me there's no way it's worth paying extra just for an extra bulge on your hood, but some people will do crazy things for the exact model they want.

4runners don't get great gas mileage, and they don't tow big heavy loads. However, they are extremely capable and dead reliable. There is a large aftermarket for them and the online support is awesome. Toyotas aren't for everyone, but with how dead reliable they are, they're really tough to beat.

Going UP! on here has a 4runner with over 360k on the original motor and tranny, still going strong on 37's. My tacoma has 230k and aside from plugs and wires (regular maint) it hasn't needed a thing, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the world.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

As far as aftermarket goes, I would do the exact same thing as my tacoma, only I'd run 33's. So I'd do:

4.88 gears
33's
OME coils front and rear with OME nitrocharger struts
Light Racing upper control arms (these get your alignment back to stock specs)
sliders
skidplates

My buddy had a similar setup and it went everywhere my tacoma went. A lot cheaper than a tacoma, which is good.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I agree with Steve. If you're going for a 4door, skip the second gen ('90-'95) and stay with the third gen ('96-'02). Rear factory lockers are cool, but very easy to retrofit so don't get hung up on that. If I were you I'd avoid trucks with the multi-mode four wheel drive, the center diff starts developing problems as it ages and they aren't cheap (ask Dutchman about that :D). If you get an automatic, plan on changing your radiator or bypassing the stock transmission cooler, they're known to corrode out the inside and give you pink milkshake without warning. The lower ball joints are another suspect area - if your previous owner doesn't know when they were changed last, plan on changing them yourself. It isn't pretty when one of those goes (ask Steve about that :D).

Other than that, they're solid trucks, don't be afraid of 200,000+ miles if the price is right. If you intend to go to 33s, budget for a regear too, especially if you get the auto. My wife's '99 3.4/auto on 33s is frustratingly slow, I swear my 22RE has more pep than that slug.

sixstringsteve

Rear factory lockers are cool, but very easy to retrofit so don't get hung up on that.

I wouldn't say they're very easy. I've done 2 or 3 of them, and they all leaked. They worked, but if I were to do it again, I'd just get an ARB in the rear. That, or I'd find an elocker axle and swap the entire axle. The best solution is to just buy one that already has the locker in there. Most people don't know what they are, so they don't affect the price much.

Also, I'd recommend driving as many as possible. I've had 3. One was peppy, and the other 2 were dogs.

ricsrx

I am at 200,340 miles on my gold plated hood scooped 99 highlander runner :) just did the timming belt water pump replacement, OME lift, 488 gearing (thanks Steve) but still need to get tires, I need to do the lower ball joints very soon,
I did a insurance buy back for 1700.00, and am into it 2200 and a salvaged title..

Cooper

I own a 93 on 38s and can tell you as soon as I have the money for a new engine. The 3.0 is a joke. It gets from point a to point b with a struggle. I love the car otherwise.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
And what is the multi mode 4 wheel drive?

That was the auto 4wd feature available (standard maybe?) on the 01-02's. I think it was a selectable center differential but I could be mistaken.

My $.02 is avoid the sunroof option if you're a bigger/taller guy. I'm 5,11 and I did not fit in mine with the seat adjusted where I like it. I also did not care for the rear hatch at all--personal opinion. I've owned two of them and have few complaints beyond that.

Kevin B.

Big hippy

ttora4runner

01-02's have the center diff lock, no elocker unless you want to swap and the VSC/Trac control system is a pain in the butt, unless you do the AndyMod. The system will basically stop you from moving unless you’re in 4-wheel drive.
Limited models have issues with the climate control and you either have to try and get it fixed or cough up the dough for a new one.
LBJ issues and the pink milkshake problems like others have said.
99-00 Highlander edition with the 5spd and elocker is the mythical unicorn. Plus the hood scoop.
No manual transmission after the 2000 model year.
99-02’s have the better cup holders (ya like this really matters).

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My cousin has a 2000 Highlander 5spd no locker that might be for sale in the foreseeable future

Jeepj667

Went and seen this one last night

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/657410?ad_cid=7

It was in pretty good shape. Had a few issues though
Radiator looked original, trans fluid was good color
He was told it had a timing chain, so needs a belt
Needs a windshield
Needs rotors - warped, probably upgrade to Tundra
Ball joints seem fine but he's never replaced them
Power antenna stuck half staff

I offered him $5000 he didn't accept.
This morning he countered $5500 and drop off in Salt Lake
What kind of price should I expect for parts (my own labor) to replace these things?

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Re-sell with the rebuilt title can be annoying if you ever decided to move on...

Power antenna is completely normal I think they come like that :p

When changing a timing belt it is recommend that you change the waterpump, accessory belts/pulleys and the 2 large idler pulleys (for the timing belt) at the same time. Are you going to perform the work yourself? Good idlers (OEM/Japanese vs Chinese/Korean) alone will add well over $100 to the repair cost. I want to say my TB replacement was around $400 doing the work myself using Toyota parts but I can't remember for sure.

I used the replacement Brembo rotors through Napa. Much higher quality than most Hencho en China parts store rotors. Tundra swap would be best though if you have the extra cash.

Imo $5500 will turn into $6000+ fairly quick. To me it's a 'meh' deal not great--not bad.

Coco

It has been said, I have owned three 3rd gen 4runners, and one 2nd gen 4runner. Stay away from the 2nd gen! (if it is the 3.slow) I really dont have much more I can add to what has already been said :-\ You will love the 3rd gen.

Going UP! on here has a 4runner with over 360k on the original motor and tranny, still going strong on 37's.

Dont remind me!! But it is still running strong! (knock on wood for the superstitious type)