AFC Run Report - 4Wheeler Recovery

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sorry, I didn't take many pics...

Started off as a "scouting" trip to check out a 4-Wheeler that had rolled to the bottom of the canyon just shy of forest lake (the really nasty cliff section). The Forest Service contacted the owner, he informed them he was just going to "abandon" it as it was destroyed in the accident :nuts: They don't have a way to remove the 4Wheeler, and short of taking him to court (which will still likely happen) they don't have the $$$ to have a commercial wrecker come get it (estimates at $300-500). They contacted U4 President Steve Jackson, asking for some assistance. Steve was out of town so he passed the info on to me.

We had a GPS coordinate for the wreck, so it didn't take too long to find it in the bottom. Sully and I hiked to the bottom of the canyon and checked it out... a cheap Chinese 100cc 4Wheeler, completely trashed. We got back up to the road, surveyed all of our recover equipment and decided to go ahead an pull it up today. They will be closing the road anytime now, especially if it snows. While our FS rep told us he would be more than happy to come back up and open the gate, pulling it up in the snow, and hiking down in the snow, would suck. We ended up using all of my winch ~120ft, 3 20ft straps, and section of rope for the first pull. As we progressed up the hill, we took removed the rope, and then each of the straps until it was just the winch pulling it up. Richard and Sully guided it up, and ran the winch from the top. We got it too the top, pushed it to the other side of the road and put away all the rigging and winch stuff.

We decided to get alittle wheeling in for the day, Day Fork being our choice. As we drove up the canyon I caught something moving out of the corner of my eye, lying in a riverbed. It was a young bull moose!!! It was injured or sick, lying on its side, tired and breathing heavy. Richard put a call into 911 (the only service in the canyon) and they patched him through to the DWR, they wanted to come take a look at it and make sure it didn't have waste disease or a handful of other issues.

We continued down the canyon, picking up the wrecked ATV along the way... it was a tight fit but we were able to put in the back of Sully's FJ40. We drove it down the canyon, and dropped it off at the South Fork Ranger Station, for them to take care of (paperwork, etc).

There were sooooo many ATV's in the canyon... sickening really. A bunch of tyrants and idiots behind the controls too. 3 year old kids on moms lap with no helmets, a baby in a fathers lap :dunno:

Other than that it was a great day in the canyon... :silly:

Attachments

• temp 089 (Medium).jpg
    temp 089 (Medium).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 62
  • temp 093 (Medium).jpg
    temp 093 (Medium).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
That's the same quad I posted up about months ago.... the water must have moved it because I couldn't find it when we went up for that cleanup/fence build.

Just an FYI, you don't ever want to be that close to a wounded moose. Sadly the most probable explanation is that it was wounded either completely by accident or by an idiot on the deer/elk hunt.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That's the same quad I posted up about months ago.... the water must have moved it because I couldn't find it when we went up for that cleanup/fence build.

Interesting... the FS was under the assumption it was only there for a week or so. Someone else might have tried moving it... and gave up where we found it. There was a bunch of rope strung out around it and tied to the frame. I think it went over there... there were parts of it all over the hillside above it. :confused:

Just an FYI, you don't ever want to be that close to a wounded moose. Sadly the most probable explanation is that it was wounded either completely by accident or by an idiot on the deer/elk hunt.

To be honest... we thought it was dead :(, we didn't notice it was still alive until we were feet from it... it didn't even budge then. You could tell it had been there for along time, mabey a day or two... the ground was chewed up from its many attempts to stand... sad sight. We wanted to shoot it on the spot but didn't know the laws around doing so... better safe then sorry Richard called the DWR.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... Just an FYI, you don't ever want to be that close to a wounded moose. Sadly the most probable explanation is that it was wounded either completely by accident or by an idiot on the deer/elk hunt.

That's sad... 2 yrs ago a guy from California was Elk hunting in CO, he shot a Moose, realized what he did & tried to run. :rolleyes:

That sucks about the moose, I love seeing them up AFC. I hope that one recovers, they're neat animals to see in the wild.

Meat_

Banned
...We wanted to shoot it on the spot but didn't know the laws around doing so... better safe then sorry Richard called the DWR.

There are very strict laws saying that you can not put them down, but an animal that is so obviously dying..... not many coppers would give you a ticket.

Meat_

Banned
Interesting... the FS was under the assumption it was only there for a week or so. Someone else might have tried moving it... and gave up where we found it. There was a bunch of rope strung out around it and tied to the frame. I think it went over there... there were parts of it all over the hillside above it. :confused:

Where you have it sitting on the road is maybe 50ft from where I was standing when I saw it. The crappy lighting when I was trying to find it again must have hidden it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't know if you noticed that I edited my first post to include a link

Hmmm, your right... looks like the same 4 wheeler. I'm almost thinking they pulled it 1/2 out and then their rope broke as there were parts strewn all over the hill and it was a good 10ft out of the riverbed. There were actually two different ropes attached to the ATV, they had but cut or broken... I'm hoping Steve will chime in with a bit more info from the USFS, I just do the dirtywork :D

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
not suprised to see a bike down in there, we were up there over labor day weekend and i was coming down thru that exact spot the narrow cliff and i had a stupid kids fly up and around me on the hillside, hit a rock and slam into the back of my jeep trailer. He smashed in his fender and jacked up his tire, The bad this is if hadnt hit me he would have hit justin (dabears) head on. We were both at a dead stop when it happened. If he had missed justin he would have been riding it over the cliff just lkike that bike did. Its crazy they complain about the 4x4s being up there but we are the ones keeping it up and safe, what a joke. Speaking of a joke you should have see the utah county sheriff doing donuts in there new dodge trucks at two in the morning in front of our camp!:(

NE_Utah

Its good to see the FS calls on us ( the 4WD comm0 to help out. Yes it costs us money but we have a great canyon to play in.

How many ATVer would have pulled it out.
Good work you guys

SP Unlimited

I get paid to do this
Its good to see the FS calls on us ( the 4WD comm0 to help out.

My thoughts exactly!! That is terrific that they would think to call on on the 4WD community for help. In my mind that is progress, working together to protect and maintain public lands insteand of being advesaries.

Right on man good work

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
One of the main goals of the U4WDA is to work pro-actively with the FS & BLM, something we have been actively doing for 15+ years, but it is really growing as of late. We are working at an "efficient" calling tree, in which we contact the FS/BLM reps on a regular basis, that contact is reported back and logged. This way we stay fresh on the minds of the reps and they call us to fix an issue before it becomes a major problem. We have the state of Utah pretty well covered, MFFW and RR4W in Moab, King Crawlers in Price, Canyon Country in Kanab and others... they all work WITH their local agencies to address upcoming issues.