Air bags on a long arm setup

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I need to find a way to boost the back of my coil converted Jeeps when I tow a trailer or load lots of gear. I have seen that they sell airbags that go inside the coils which can be used to level the back when towing. The question I have is how well would the airbags work on a long arm system which can articulate enough to take all of the load off of the airbag. Will the bag expand to the point of damaging itself ? Anyone tried them on their crawlers ?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
If the bags fit inside the coils, do you still have to connect the top to a bracket? I think if you left it disconnected it would allow for articulation without over-stretching the air bag yet allow you to have extra help when loading up with extra weight.

boogie_4wheel

I've seen trucks run bags that contact a bucket on the axle, and are mounted only to the frame. This allows the axle to drop farther than the bag can extend.

There has been a few pictures on the cumminsforum. Don't know if you have enough room to do something like that on a control arm.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
If the bags fit inside the coils, do you still have to connect the top to a bracket? I think if you left it disconnected it would allow for articulation without over-stretching the air bag yet allow you to have extra help when loading up with extra weight.
The ones I've seen connect at the bottom and hit the bump stop bracket at the top (bump stop with foam piece taken out). Not connected at the top.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had some bags in my rear coils for a minute. I don't think they would be damaged from excess droop. The air line runs through the bottom coil mount and it basically just floats inside the coil. It can't move around very much.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There is the possible option of mounting them TO the control arm, so there isn't as much motion for the bag...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Have you heard about timbren overload bump stops? They might be an option.

I run those on my truck and they are great for keeping me from sagging while towing. Normal driving I rarely notice them unless I hit a big bump on the hwy. I honestly wouldn't put them on a jeep or anything with a suspension that cycles more, you'd feel that bumpstop a lot. They are quite stiff in order to help carry loads.

XJEEPER

1575478775458.png

While this is an off-road trailer application, a similar setup could be used with a bump plate fabbed on top, to allow the bag to not limit droop/damage bag and also provide added load bearing capacity.

1575479089031.png

C-Series GM truck rear suspension setup

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Is there any concern pinching the bag in between the coils when the bag is deflated and that corner hits full stuff?

boogie_4wheel

Have you heard about timbren overload bump stops? They might be an option.

This is genius. My dad ran a set of these on his truck for a 4400lb pin weight on a horse trailer, but heavier duty than what you'd have on the Jeep. They were quick/easy to remove with just a wrench, even on the side of the highway.
Fab a bracket to place the timbren in a spot to help carry the weight. When you arrive, remove the timbren and bracket (maybe even a quick release) for full suspension travel. This could be a ~10min job.