General Tech Air Compressor vs. CO2 Tank.....

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
Ok, school the newbie on the pros and cons of an air compressor vs a CO2 tank......and to toss a wrinkle in the equation, we also have a couple of Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboards, so use with them would be nice, but is not an absolute need. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Air compressor, costly for high volume. No reoccurring costs. Decent volume.
CO2, lower intro cost but refill cost/hassle. High volume. Portable

Careful using CO2 with inflatables as the output air is extremely cold and can damage the toys.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Air compressor all day for me. Light weight, easy to store/pack, unlimited air. We use ours ALL the time. We fill multiple vehicle tires, inflatable kayaks, moto tires, and more in a single trip. I think we’d run out of CO too fast and too often. if you need volume air, add a permanent tank hidden out of the way.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My rock crawler Jeep has CO². It was compact, let me run air tools and air tires and keep the AC. Back when I built it- battery powered tools sucked and electric air compressors where SLOW, were too huge and bulky or super cost prohibitive for good ones. CO² cost me less than $175 for everything

My DD Jeep has a York OBA setup with a 5 gallon tank. I can run air tools and basically unlimited high volume air. But.
I don't have AC... It's hot.

For me. Battery powered tools now make up the difference in power for trail tool use. CO² for a trail rig is great but I only use it for airing up tires and blowing out dust now.

For what it's worth: you can create an expansion chamber if you want to use CO² for toys.

ID Bronco

Air compressor all day for me. Light weight, easy to store/pack, unlimited air. We use ours ALL the time. We fill multiple vehicle tires, inflatable kayaks, moto tires, and more in a single trip. I think we’d run out of CO too fast and too often. if you need volume air, add a permanent tank hidden out of the way.

Which one do you use

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I purchased a Viair 400P automatic for my van. Since it comes in a carry bag I can easily swap it over to my Jeep. During my recent 3 week trip in my van, I used it several times to air up when coming back onto the pavement and once to inflate my SUP. I like it. It does get hot with use, so I generally try to give it some cool-down time before I pack it back into it's carry bag.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've used CO2 for many years but the hassle of refilling is getting to me. I'd like to run york (or similar) compressors on my CJ and TJ. For the gladiator, I think an electrical air pump would be easier to install.

notajeep

Just me
I was an early adopter of the PowerTank about 20 years ago. And they are pretty sweet for high volume air. But I learned about 19 years 11 months 3 weeks and 6 days ago that they are a giant PITA to fill, especially if you live outside of SLC.

I went through several 12 volt compressors over the years, settled on a viair 400p for quite a while. It was always super reliable, and always super slow. so slow.....
Then I went on a search for something better, I tried several more, an ARB single, the big smittybilt, and finally found the Outback air extreme magnum. It's made in the USA, Pumps out more air more reliably than any other sub $1000 compressor, factory installed in Earth roamers, sportsmobiles, earth cruisers, etc.
However, they are not a bolt in and go product. You've got to piece together the parts you want, figure the mounting location, wire and plumb.
If you're looking for something were all the work is done for you and you just need to bolt things together, then the ARB twin is a decent option that a lot of people have good luck with.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
^ I've had good luck with the Viair systems. I've never had one blow up before I was ready to upgrade, and I've pretty much ignored the published duty cycles. I ride em hard and put em away wet and I haven't had one let me down yet.

But yeah, so slow. I thought when I went to the 450 that I'd be seeing some decent fill times, but @DAA's ARB twin still smokes me.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
I prefer my CO2. Both are fine, but I bounce from vehicle to vehicle, trailer to trailer, etc. Being able to throw my CO2 in for camping, dirtbikes, or rescue missions is what seals the deal for me.

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
Thanks all for the input.......I have decided to go with a compressor..............now, is something like an ARB single adequate? Is there REALLY a need to go to a dual? I'm not saying it HAS to be ARB, just illustrating the question.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I’ve had a couple of Viair compressors, the 450 and 550c. Both were great units. If you have the room, the 3/4hp Puma compressor is fantastic, and about half the cost of the Viair.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I've been eyeing the puma for a while also, there was a review from Kevin B on a site from 2016, did it get resolved?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I have a single ARB (CKMA12) and it's slow, but reliable and does the job. Never runs out of air at the worst possible time like a CO2 tank. IMO, if you're in a hurry when airing up your tires, you're doing it wrong.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've been eyeing the puma for a while also, there was a review from Kevin B on a site from 2016, did it get resolved?
I wasn’t aware of the bad review or any issues they may have had. I bought my first one around 2015, and my second one came around late 2017 (new Jeep) so I guess I owned one during the “problem” years. I never had an issue with either of them. The biggest problem is the size and weight. They’re big and heavy but if you have the room I’d highly recommend one.