Air hose that holds up to being on a vehicle

thenag

On my Bronco and now my Jeep I have been running 3/8 rubber air hose for my OBA.

Years ago I got some Goodyear 3/8 that held up great, some of it was used on the Bronco and then transferred to the Jeep when the Jeep was built up.

A few years ago I had a line rupture, it was near the exhaust manifold and it was old so it wasn't a big deal. I replaced with what looked like similar quality rubber air hose from Harbor Freight. I have noticed the HF hose is already developing cracks on the outside near the fittings etc.

I was thinking about going to EVCO and asking them if they had something that was fairly cost effective and really durable, but I thought I would ask here first.

So what are you using to run air around your Jeep, and how has it held up?

(yes yes I should wrap the hose near the exhaust with some kind of heat shield...)

Thanks

Nathan

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Semi-Truck chassis airline. It's not highly flexible (could do like a 4-6" radius depending on what size you went with, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" etc, if you need a sharper corner use a 90° fitting) but you can run it as a "hard line" down the chassis and then put on a quick disconnect fitting on and then run a flexible line from there. Lasts several years without any dry-rot issues, is pretty abrasion-resistant and it is fairly heat resistant (to a degree*). Best part is it's cheap, and yes, EVCO carries it, and fittings.

*no pun intended

Last edited:

Nappy

Nappystunts.com
I have Gates 4m3k hydraulic hose I use on my OBA. Crimped with Hydraulic ends that swivel. That's what I use everywhere in my shop so when I run over it with the forklift it doesn't have any issues :)

thenag

I have Gates 4m3k hydraulic hose I use on my OBA. Crimped with Hydraulic ends that swivel. That's what I use everywhere in my shop so when I run over it with the forklift it doesn't have any issues :)

Looks like that would get expensive to plumb a jeep... especially having to crimp ends.

Semi-Truck chassis airline. It's not highly flexible (could do like a 4-6" radius depending on what size you went with, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" etc, if you need a sharper corner use a 90° fitting) but you can run it as a "hard line" down the chassis and then put on a quick disconnect fitting on and then run a flexible line from there. Lasts several years without any dry-rot issues, is pretty abrasion-resistant and it is fairly heat resistant (to a degree*). Best part is it's cheap, and yes, EVCO carries it, and fittings.

*no pun intended

Does that use push connectors? (similar to what comes with ARBs)

It does look pretty cheap

Thanks

DAA

Yes on the push connectors. Mine has been installed for almost 12 years. Have had to undo some of the connectors and reroute lines a couple times. Reused them with no leaks. Have never had a problem except a section that disappeared when the Jeep caught fire. Couple unions and spare line I keep on hand fixed that quick and easy.

- DAA

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
So far the only issues I've had with the line are from getting pinched, caught on something else, or melted from when my truck exhaust cracked under the cab and blew directly on the line (talkin 800°+ comin right off the sequential turbos pushin 60 lbs of boost)

Yes on them being push connectors. To get them to release the tubing from their grip you can just use any hard tool to push on the face of the union and it will release. That only works with the brass "DOT approved" ones, the plastic push-fittings are one-time use.

Reactions: DAA