Airbnb's Project Lighthouse

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've used Airbnb a ton over the years. I can't say it really saved me a bunch of money vs. hotels, but it was a useful tool to get a decent place to stay usually a bit closer to where I wanted to be (the beach, a racetrack, etc.). This morning I got this e-mail:

Now more than ever, we need to fight for equality and justice. That’s why we recently announced Project Lighthouse—an initiative to uncover, measure, and overcome discrimination when booking or hosting a home on Airbnb. We’d like to use information from hosts and guests in the US to help, so we want to make sure you understand how it works.

Here’s what you need to know:

• We’ll only use information you already share
    This project will address discrimination that's based on perception—so we’ll use first names and profile photos from hosts and guests to help us understand the perceived race someone might associate with them.
  • We’ll use it to uncover patterns of discrimination
    We’ll use this information to help us understand when and where racial discrimination is happening on our platform. Any insights will be used to help develop new features and policies that create a more equitable experience for everyone.
  • Information won’t be tied to your specific account
    We know your privacy is important, so we analyze trends in bulk and Airbnb won’t associate perceived race information with your account. We won’t use this information in marketing or advertising, and it will only be used for anti-discrimination work.
  • We consulted with and solicited input from leading civil rights and privacy organizations to guide us
    We know how delicate this work is—so we developed this work with support and input from leading civil rights organizations like Color Of Change and Upturn, along with privacy organizations like Center for Democracy & Technology, to make sure our approach is both thoughtful and respectful of your privacy.

You can opt out in your Privacy Settings if you don’t want to participate. And though you can change your mind at any time, your first name and profile photo may be used if you don’t opt out by August 31, 2020.

Read our frequently asked questions

By including your information, you’re helping us identify and prevent discrimination from happening on Airbnb—and you’re taking part in an initiative to better understand how and where discrimination happens on platforms like ours. This is an important step for our industry, and we’re making the methodology publicly available to other companies who want to join in the fight.

In solidarity,
The Airbnb team

Now that just kinda freaks me out. "This project will address discrimination that's based on perception—so we’ll use first names and profile photos from hosts and guests to help us understand the perceived race someone might associate with them." Soooo... Since my name is Stephen, I must be white, and if I don't book with people who have profiles that are "diverse", then I'm discriminatory and I'll get negative marks on my account. That's not right. Airbnb is a private company, so they can do whatever they please, but I'm not playing that game. I deleted my account.

Houndoc

You may be taking it the wrong way.
Hosts who know,/think their potential guest are not white may choose to discriminate against them or I would not be the least bit surprised if some people choose not to rent from minority homeowners.

Jesser04

Hosts who know,/think their potential guest are not white may choose to discriminate against them or I would not be the least bit surprised if some people choose not to rent from minority homeowners.

I don’t know anyone who thinks like this do you? Does anyone on this forum? I hate to break it to you but the majority of white people aren’t racist no matter how much you wish they were.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Jesser04. I was just going to say, how is that better than the theory Stephen put out there? They are both crazy ideas in my mind. Whether the renter or the host, why bring race into the equation? I want everyone to be treated fairly, but the more people put in crap like this just serves to accentuate the "us vs them" mentality. IMO, this does no more to fix racial injustice than burning a few cars and stealing iPhones does.

Jesser04

I've used Airbnb a ton over the years. I can't say it really saved me a bunch of money vs. hotels, but it was a useful tool to get a decent place to stay usually a bit closer to where I wanted to be (the beach, a racetrack, etc.). This morning I got this e-mail:

Now that just kinda freaks me out. "This project will address discrimination that's based on perception—so we’ll use first names and profile photos from hosts and guests to help us understand the perceived race someone might associate with them." Soooo... Since my name is Stephen, I must be white, and if I don't book with people who have profiles that are "diverse", then I'm discriminatory and I'll get negative marks on my account. That's not right. Airbnb is a private company, so they can do whatever they please, but I'm not playing that game. I deleted my account.

With all do respect. I wouldn’t worry you spell you’re name with a ph there is a 50/50 chance they’ll think you’re gay.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Maybe I am; but that's my right. And I'm sure what you suggest happens, as does the opposite (though we're not supposed to talk about that). That's shitty. And if Airbnb wants to be the arbiter of justice within their platform, that's their right. Personally I don't consider where I want to book my lodgings based on the "diversity" of the host. I've always done that based on the price, location, and the amenities, just like most people presumably do. But I'm going to tell you right here, right now, this policy is going to disproportionately target one demographic; I'll let you guess who that is. There are other lodging options out there; so I'll vote with my pocketbook on who I feel comfortable giving my money too, and its not a company that discriminates based on race.

Last edited:

Houndoc

Never said most people are racist, but also know very well some are.

Do I think many people would consider race when using AIRBNB? No. But would be shocked if it does not happen.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Got my email over the weekend from Airbnb on the project. Can't see that it is much to get worked up over.
While I don't have an airbnb account so this doesn't concern me, I always get a bit worried when someone says something to the effect of, "this isn't much to get worked up over". This little thing, and that little thing, oh and that little one over there. Now we have 3 little things that are adding up. This year the government stretched it's power by implementing new controls over us, for better or worse. But masks are a little thing. Closing businesses is a little thing. Nightly curfews is a little thing. I just don't want to get to a point where 5, 10, 15 years from now I say, "Where did all my freedom go?" because so many little things turned us into China.

Houndoc

While I don't have an airbnb account so this doesn't concern me, I always get a bit worried when someone says something to the effect of, "this isn't much to get worked up over". This little thing, and that little thing, oh and that little one over there. Now we have 3 little things that are adding up. This year the government stretched it's power by implementing new controls over us, for better or worse. But masks are a little thing. Closing businesses is a little thing. Nightly curfews is a little thing. I just don't want to get to a point where 5, 10, 15 years from now I say, "Where did all my freedom go?" because so many little things turned us into China.
Not sure how "freedom" comes into play here.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
just got my email on this topic today. I too simply opted out for now. While I was at it I changed a few other privacy things that I didn't know were happening. I'm not too concerned however, the likelihood I'll stay in an Airbnb in the future is reduced now that I have my van.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I am an Airbnb superhost, I have seen nothing from this. My renters are out of country tourists for the most part.

Over the years Airbnb has said some pretty stupid things but from my side nothing is effected, I think they just try to be PC.