All things camp trailer..

ID Bronco

Weird thought here. I have a slide on my trailer and always store it with the slide in so less stuff is exposed. I see a lot of trailers stored with the slide out. Any thoughts on which is better? or is it just a weird thought?

maveric

Crawler Collecter
One more question on your trailer update.
Did you add A/C? What options do you think would work best to add it (my wife likes an older trailer we found on KSL, but lacks A/C)?
We didn't put AC in it. Mostly because we kept it as original as possible. With the windows and roof vent, and a couple USB powered fans, it keeps it fairly comfortable inside.

I have seen some vintages that they have added ac to. Depends on size and layout. Some have added them in a closet (or above the fridge in the upright cabinet) and then just added a vent on outside and inside of trailer.
1625779447431.png

If I were to add one, I would put it in the under bed storage area. You could duct the intake to the outside access door, and the front of the unit out into the kitchen area.
1625779494898.png

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A friend of mine mentioned that they used a evaporative air conditioner in their older camp trailer and he said it did great in dryer climates like we have. Said it uses hardly and power and a bit of water. It's a unit that is built for trailers.

I did some looking around and found a bunch of portable units that could work too.

Houndoc

A friend of mine mentioned that they used a evaporative air conditioner in their older camp trailer and he said it did great in dryer climates like we have. Said it uses hardly and power and a bit of water. It's a unit that is built for trailers.

I did some looking around and found a bunch of portable units that could work too.
I have been thinking a portable unit could be the way to go. Will do some looking into it.

Tonkaman

I have been thinking a portable unit could be the way to go. Will do some looking into it.
Not your application, but a fun side story:

When we race motocross it’s usually an all day ordeal. So we sit in the hot sun all day long and roasting in the summer. A friend of mine runs a big portable AC unit inside of his enclosed trailer, he just pulls air from the man door and blows it to the back. It’s like a frigid wind tunnel! All the kids rotate in and out of there to cool off after doing motos. It’s freaking awesome.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Picked up an Outdoors RV Backcountry 24KRS in March of last year. Bought new from Ray Citte RV...can't recommend them at all. But really enjoying the trailer now that all the teething issues have been sorted out (again, no thanks to Ray Citte RV). With kids out of school due to COVID and a more flexible work schedule the last 18 months, we have pretty close to 100 nights in the trailer so far.

IMG_0132.JPG

Last edited:

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Catherine and I were able to take a little vacation trip after all, 4 hrs away from home in the mountains above Flaming George. We camped at over 8,000 feet where it was nice and cool! No cell service, beautiful lake near by, little creek and we were still able to have a campfire for the cool evenings. It was a great getaway, did some relaxing, fishing and exploring. We did get rained on and hail too! It was a good time and very needed.

View attachment 138881
View attachment 138882
View attachment 138883
View attachment 138884
I know that lake well...camped there in June, July and again just last weekend. Let's keep it a secret. 😉

PS: I'm aware of the irony of bringing attention to it contrary to keeping it a secret. X-D

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Weird thought here. I have a slide on my trailer and always store it with the slide in so less stuff is exposed. I see a lot of trailers stored with the slide out. Any thoughts on which is better? or is it just a weird thought?
I've done both. I've heard from random people that slide in is better, but I kept the slide out on mine all winter for access and nothing adverse happened. Was still just fine when I sold it a couple weeks ago.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We recently picked up a 2021 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2104S, did a lot of talking about trailers and campers in the last 18 months. It's a 22' trailer, GVW comes in just over 6K#'s, has a 54 gallon fresh water tank and 30 gallons for the grey & black, a large slide, queen size Murphy bed, bathroom with shower seperate from toilet, etc. I like it because it sits up high, I shouldn't have to worry about rough Baja roads. ;)

It has a lot of neat features and tech, like heated tanks, wifi, 190W solar panel (expandable) etc. It's just the wife and I, so I think this is a great size for our needs.

i-67WDZjD-X2.jpg

Biggest reason for buying it is due to work and traveling, I have been paying $600-800 a month for hotels and I'd rather put that money towards something I own. We will be rolling out on a vacation to the PNW soon, taking the trailer. Should be fun!

i-qFShxks-X2.jpg

We tow with either the wife's '15 F150 EcoBoost or my work truck, a 2009 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 gas truck. The F150 has Falcon Tow/Haul shocks and combined with the equalizer hitch, it is very controlled and composed when towing. To the point that I bought Timbrens for it, but I don't think they're needed!

So I can already hear the opposition to this idea and I understand where it's coming from, but has anyone rented out their RV/Trailer/Camper?

Of course I'm worried about damage, wear & tear and general misuse of our 2021 Rockwood as it's pretty much brand new. But at this point, our camper was purchased as my home away from home while working, but thanks to a job change, I'm no longer traveling. Our payment isn't really a burden, but if we can make 2-3x the payment per month and get it paid off that much sooner, that would be nice. I don't see us using it more than 4-6 times per year, the rest of the time it's just going to sit on the side of our house.

I'm looking at RVShare.com, renting thru them includes up to $1M in liability coverage, up to $300,000 in Comprehensive & Collision Coverage & Free 24/7 Roadside Assistance & Free Towing and Tire Service. The renter also pays for the insurance coverage out of the cost of the rental.

I think I'd also add an extended warranty thru Good Sam, to help cover any issues that arise with use that aren't covered under the rental insurance. I'd be pretty picky with the renters, I believe you can agree to rent to someone based on their reviews & turn down people with bad reviews. I'd try set a minimum amount of nights (3 or so?), etc.

Looking around, I think $150/night is a pretty fair price. With the value of our trailer, $18/night would go to the insurance, meaning $130/night would be ours. Two nights would cover our monthly payment.

So.... bad idea? :eek: