Alternative to air bags...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I'm seriously considering going with a Timbren load leveling bump-stoppy deal as an alternative to an air bag setup.

Air bags kits w/ manual fill schrader valves (no fancy pumps or gauges) are approx. $300.

Timbren bumpstop things with bracketry and hardware (all bolt-on), I can get through my work for approx. $100.

Check out www.timbren.com for more info.

Discuss...

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Do it and let me know how it goes, because I have some huge custom spring packs in the back of the work truck and it rides like a friggin' brick. I'd love to lose about half of them but still have the capacity.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I have the Firestone bags with manual fill on my truck. Love em! It'll pack a house out back, but not screw the ride up (what little there is) when deflated.

My F-350 wrecker has the same with the compressor and controls. Very nice set up, but just too spendy for what little bit I need them on my DD.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I have the Firestone bags with manual fill on my truck. Love em! It'll pack a house out back, but not screw the ride up (what little there is) when deflated.

My F-350 wrecker has the same with the compressor and controls. Very nice set up, but just too spendy for what little bit I need them on my DD.

Thanks for the feedback Brian. My dilema is this... I know that an air bag setup will be perfect for my needs. However, a $200 difference between the two options has got me real curious.

If I can't find someone with some first hand experience running the Timbren units (with a similar setup as my own) and with good results, I may just go with air bags.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I know some people have been using Timbren bumpstops on their offroaders instead of buying poly bumps. That would lead me to believe they might be stiffer than what you really want them for.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I can do the Firestone Ride Rite kits pretty cheap, no where near $300. Part number 2071
prod_info_rr_kit.gif

Is like $240 to your door and I have them in stock.

I guess I'm saying to go this way instead. We know these work very well...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I know some people have been using Timbren bumpstops on their offroaders instead of buying poly bumps. That would lead me to believe they might be stiffer than what you really want them for.

Yeah, thats my concern exactly. This situation reminds me alot of the whole adjustable shock vs. non-adjustable, where you typically find the setting you want and end up leaving it there. So, if the non-adjustable shocks had the same damping as the adjustable ones at the setting chosen, why spend the extra money?

My hope would be that the Timbren units would basically react the way I need them to as-is, but the odds of that are slim I know...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I can do the Firestone Ride Rite kits pretty cheap, no where near $300. Part number 2071
prod_info_rr_kit.gif

Is like $240 to your door and I have them in stock.

I guess I'm saying to go this way instead. We know these work very well...

Ahhhhh, you vile temptress!!!

You, and the rest of these guys are going to get me to spend more money (and get what I really need), aren't you! :)

Big Toyota

THE MAN
The air bags are the best way the poly would be more for a bump stop.
and the ride would be bad if you are riding on them like a air bag.

DToy

I have airbags with the manual fill valves on the back of my new-to-me '04.5 Dodge and I love them. It's not a big deal for me to throw some air in them when I'm loaded and air them down when I'm not. The ability to adjust to different weights when towing/hauling make it well worth the investment in my opinion. I would have put these on my previous truck if I had known how nice they are.