American Fork Canyon, UT - Forest Lake

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Forest Lake 4x4 Trail

Description:
Forest Lake trail is a great trail for those willing to push their stock or slightly modified vehicles a little further.

On dry summer days, the trail should be fairly easy but on wet spring/fall days, you will want a spotter. The very first part of the trail is probably the most technical. Two hill climbs in a row with the second climb having a tight spot at the top. The top of the second climb is still large enough to fit a full-size vehicle through.

The rest of the trail is a little rock garden and then trails to the top. Be prepared for possible pin-striping. In the spring/fall you will encounter puddles; be careful as some may be a couple feet deep. This trail may require lockers and recovery gear during the winter but this is not verified (yet).

Trailhead:
N 40 31.438 W 111 36.494

Forest Lake Trail Map
(google maps)
[map]http://www.rme4x4.com/posts/maps/ForestLake.kmz[/map]

Attachments

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
The rating is in the recommended equipment. I go up all the time in my KJ but it's lifted, full armor, real tires and recovery gear to rescue those who don't.
I don't recommend street tires and no skids, especially if you don't have a lift. I don't recommend any trail without armor

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I go up all the time in my KJ but it's lifted, full armor, real tires and recovery gear to rescue those who don't.
I don't recommend street tires and no skids, especially if you don't have a lift. I don't recommend any trail without armor
FYI:

Last fall, we took a group of 12 rigs to Forest Lake. One of them was a showroom stock 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0L on street tires. It took some careful choosing of the proper line at times, but he made it all the way up and back without getting stuck once. (Ironically, he also got a flat tire on the way up, but this was a freak incident unrelated to his lack of modifications.)

As the person who talked him into going, I was very proud. :)

Paco182

It can be done in a stock 1998 5.9 ZJ, street tires, no skids and no tow points. The trail map from the Wasatch mountain state park visitors center rated Forest Lake trail as difficult as the gravel road to Cascade Springs. I had no idea of what I was getting into but was impressed with how it went.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Thanks for the history lesson Paco :)