American Fork Canyon, UT - Mary Ellen Gulch

Lifelong Jeeper

We went up a couple weeks ago and were able to approx 3/4 of the way up before hitting impassable snow.

Bear Taylor

Tacoma free since '93
I would recommend using the search option at the top of the page, there have been quite a few trip reports lately.

blownsmok97

What is the trail called that is close to, but on the opposite side of the road as the forest lake trail? It goes past cemetary or graveyard flats (i cant remember which its called) then up higher, but im not sure where it ends up or what its called?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Premium Vendor
What is the trail called that is close to, but on the opposite side of the road as the forest lake trail? It goes past cemetary or graveyard flats (i cant remember which its called) then up higher, but im not sure where it ends up or what its called?

Graveyard Flats or Lower Major Evans Gulch

Jesser04

Are the Meg and mineral basin trailheads marked like forest lake? We went up last weekend and ran forest lake we are thinking about go back this weekend to run another trail. Does anyone reccomend running one more than the other?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Not that I remember. There might be a trail number marker but there has never been an actual sign designating each trail. Forest Lake is an adopted trail and the sign was put up by the group that adopted it.

Bear Taylor

Tacoma free since '93
Mineral Basin is Forest Service Road 007, there is a numbered marker at the start.

There was talk about more clearly marking the start of MEG during NPLD, but I have not heard if that happened.

jrm6623

We took a Durango and a Grand Cherokee up to the cabin yesterday (9/26/2011) and the road wasn't too bad. There were a few challenging areas that required a spotter, and we were aired down, but that's about it. Both vehicles running 2" lifts, and the Durango has 33" tires.

Sad to see all the damage the cabin has suffered from vandals. It would be nice to have a 4x4 group maybe make a day trip up there to do some cleanup and restoration or something.

I've shot a bit of video of the cabin and posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by2Lx62LgIU

sixstringsteve

It would be nice to have a 4x4 group maybe make a day trip up there to do some cleanup and restoration or something.
Sounds like a great idea. If you're up for it, you could call the PG ranger district and ask them if there's anything we can do. Then post up here. I'll bet you'll get a ton of people wanting to come help. I know I'd be there.

Last edited:

Smittyauto

I have spent a lot of time on many of the trails in AF Canyon in my XJ's, and I also used to work for Larrys Towing and did a lot, and I mean a lot of recovery in AF Canyon. I have read through the posts in this forum and found that there are a lot of people that want to go explore areas like Mary Ellens Gulch. I strongly suggest that before you even attempt a run up Mary Ellens, you consider your skill level very realistically. Some of these trails are not for the novice wheeler. I have unfortunately had to recover several vehicles over the years that involved people dieing!!! Remember the basics, Dont go alone, Know your rigs limits, know your limits!!!! Stay alive, and have fun!!!!

Goodiemob1

THE F-N-G
i have heard that this is a awesome trail and i really wanna take on the challenge of it im open diff but 60s around and 35's with a atlas and a long arm kit i think i might be able to manage it, ive been in some sticky spots where my fellow wheelers had lockers and made it i did to but just took a little more time

Stephen

Under Construction
Supporting Member
i have heard that this is a awesome trail and i really wanna take on the challenge of it im open diff but 60s around and 35's with a atlas and a long arm kit i think i might be able to manage it, ive been in some sticky spots where my fellow wheelers had lockers and made it i did to but just took a little more time
You can do this trail in a stock rig with little trouble, so you should be fine.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I took a stock GMC Sierra z71 up MEG you will have no problem when it finally opens up.

sixstringsteve

It is officially open. The singletrack is closed, but the jeep trails are open. They just ask that you turn back if it gets too muddy so you don't do trail damage.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
It is officially open. The singletrack is closed, but the jeep trails are open. They just ask that you turn back if it gets too muddy so you don't do trail damage.
Nice and early. I might have to head down sometime this week, if I can get my bumper finished up first.