Andrew's budget camper shell build

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I’ve been slowly gathering parts and ideas for my do everything Dodge. I plan on doing a ton of camping and exploring this summer along with a few—take the long way around-- trips including Yellowstone and Glacier Park. I like this truck because it has a very stout and simple drive train with a ton of power and above average fuel mileage. It has a granny gear 5speed, a D70U Limited slip rear axle, King Pin D60 front axle and an NP205 T-case with a fixed yoke.

Near future plans include a front locker, big recovery hooks and I’d really like to replace my BFG’s with some Goodyear MTR’s as well. I need to find a solution to my stiff leaf springs, but I’m having a hard time making a decision on what to do… I don’t like lifts but these fender openings are so small!

For starters I wanted to make the inside of the shell as cozy as possible and still have plenty of function. I want a raised platform so as to put storage underneath, but I really didn’t want to construct it all from wood like most that I have seen. Wood works okay and serves its purpose but it ends up adding a substantial amount of weight and usually congests much needed space. Without spending a dime (as you could probably tell :rolleyes:) I whipped this up this morning. It is pretty crude at this point but I have some ideas that should work out quite nice once it is all complete. I made some brackets for a quick release pins so I can remove the entire platform easily if need be.

I’ll probably keep a spare tire, recovery gear and tools, water tank and power inverter underneath. I used an old box spring (with sweet floral print :D) to get my dimensions, but will replace it with two hinged sheets of ply wood (fold in half for access) and a full size mattress. With the front pins (closest to end gate) removed I will be able to lift the platform to gain further access underneath if need be. Being a long box truck I still have plenty of room between the end of the platform and the tail gate for my cooler, fuel cans and my big cooking supply box.

Attachments

• Dodge 1.jpg
    Dodge 1.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 41
  • dodge 2.jpg
    dodge 2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 30
  • dodge 3.jpg
    dodge 3.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 34
  • dodge 4.jpg
    dodge 4.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 40
  • dodge 5.jpg
    dodge 5.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 38
  • dodge 6.jpg
    dodge 6.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

sixb

Will work for beer!
Nice truck and I like the idea but it looks a lot to cramped for my big old ars. I have a buddy that comes up from Texas and we do a 5 day trip every summer and camp the whole time and we pack my
(old) Dodge with everything we need but sleep in a large kirkhams tent with 2 cots and a small table. We usually have to move camp atleast once sometimes twice but the kirkhams tent goes up fast.

notajeep

Just me
Sweet idea man. I have been toying with Building an offroad trailer, that will have a fould out tent/sleeping platform.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the replys! I wasn't able to get anything done today, but hopefully I will be able to during the week.

The nice thing about this shell is the "bump up" in the rear. It is actually quite roomy inside for me and my wife--compared to the shell on my Hilux anyway ha ha :p

We went for a ride up the canyon (wish I had pics it was fun!), and I noticed that my BFG Long Trails are basically worthless. It struggles for traction in even the mildest of mud :-\ I'm really hoping that with a front locker and some good MT's that it will do a little better.

Anyway hopefully I can find time this week to get going on it!

Ford Prefect

I like it. I have long thought about doing something like that. They even have shells that you take off the rear tail gate, and the shell's gate covers the entire area, and includes a door fit to walk through (if you were 3 foot tall) but you get the picture.

With the hinged bed area, are you going to put the hinges in the middle or on the outside edges? Personally I recommend having them down the middle so you can access it while the bed is still in place.

Anyhow, looks like a great deal! Good luck!